On 10/09/2014 03:55 PM, Tadeusz Struk wrote:
> On 10/09/2014 10:32 AM, Prarit Bhargava wrote:
>>> This calculation is sole for multi-socket configuration. This is why is
>> The fact that you return an incorrect value here for any configuration is
>> simply
>> put, bad.  You shouldn't do that.
>
> Well I wouldn't say it is incorrect. adf_get_dev_node_id() returns the
> phys proc id the dev is connected to, so in single socket configuration
> there is only one socket 0.

That's not entirely true -- see my previous comment about

>> Yep; but my interpretation was that node 1 didn't exist at all and it
>> panicked.
>
> Why didn't exist?

The reason the kernel panics is because there is only node 0.  Try allocating,
for example, from node 100.  You'll hit the same panic.   That's different than
saying node 0 has no memory ... I think we agree on this FWIW ... we just have
slightly different interpretations of the panic :)

The fact that there was no memory on node 1 doesn't
> make it disappear. There are two sockets in the platform 0 & 1 even
> though only one (node 0) has memory. The only problem with that is - it
> is far from optimal if device connected to node 1 uses memory on node 0.
> And this is what would happen if we would use dev_to_node(dev) here.

>> Yep, it will.  But what about cpu hotplug?
>
> I don't think cpu hotplug matters here. This is one (probe) time
> determination if the configuration is optimal or not and if it makes
> sense to use this accelerator or not.

It absolutely matters.  num_online_cpus() *changes* depending on the # of cpus.

P.