On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 06:23:51PM -0500, George Spelvin wrote:
> I've been trying to understand the crypto layer, and it's a bit of a
> struggle because I'm trying to learn how it's supposed to work by
> reading the code, and I keep finding code I want to fix.

Patches welcome.

> ansi_cprng.c is the current itch I'm eager to scratch.
>
> Other than enough implementation stupidities to make me scream
> (particularly the "rand_data_valid" variable name which is actually a
Its actually a counter of the number of valid random data bytes in the buffer
being returned to a caller, as well as an index into the internal buffer from
which to draw fresh random data.  Sorry if you don't get that, but it seems
pretty clear.

> count of INvalid data, and  keeping 5 blocks of state, including sensitive
> previous output, when only 3 are needed), one thing I can't help noticing
Not sure where you're getting that from, only 1 block of random data is stored
at any one time to return to a caller

> is that this is definitely NOT conformant with the X9.17/X9.31 spec.

This is the document it was based of off:
http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cavp/documents/rng/931rngext.pdf

>From my read, it seems to be in complete compliance.

> That's because the spec requires a timestamp for each output block
> to provide additional entropy, and a counter won't cut it.

The document places no constrints on the value or progression of DT.  As such a
counter is as valid as any other implementation.  You're welcome to enhance that
however, as I said, patches welcome.

> I'm fixing the obvious things, but on this point, I have two choices:
>
> 1. Add some comments clarifying that the "Based on" part of the header
>    is anything but a claim of compliance; those specs are for an RNG,
>    while this is a PRNG.
Please read more closely, the header clearly states this is a PRNG
implementation, and a quick google search of the terms in the header bring up
the document referenced above, with which this cprng is in compliance with.

>  And probably delete all the FIPS stuff, as
>    there's no spec to claim compliance with.  Or
Maybe do some research before making big claims like this:
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips140-2/fips1402annexc.pdf

Its just a draft, but digging through the NIST site will bring up the approved
version.  Both show that a 3 DES CPRNG based on ANSI X9.31 is valid, and
provides  a reference to the paper above as the implementation guideline.

> 2. Fix the code to use random_get_entropy() and jiffies for the
>    DT seed vector.

Sure, knock yourself out.  I don't consider it more or less valid to do so, but
patches are welcome.

> In the latter case, I'd have to leave the current deterministic code as
> an option for self-testing, but I'd drop the recommended seedsize
> to DEFAULT_PRNG_KSZ + DEFAULT_BLK_SZ (one key and one IV), and have
> an internal flag indicating whether to use an incrementing DT vector
> or generate it fresh.
Yup.  Strictly speaking the API is in-kernel only, so you don't really have to
worry about handling backwards compatibility, but if you don't allow for DT to
be specified as an initial value, you won't be able to validate against any of
the test vectors that NIST provides:
http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cavp/documents/rng/RNGVS.pdf

I will also point out that CPRNG's are designed such that peers communicating
with a cprng are expected to be able to predect the cprng output, which implies
that the DT value needs to remain predictable as well.  Using an actual date
time vector is going to make communication like that very unstable if there is
even a little clock drift on either system.  As such, while its less entropy,
using a simple arbitrary vector with an increment on each random data generation
leads to greater stability and predictability for those with the key.  The data
provided in the validation test in Appendix B.1.5 of the above document supports
that, as the DT value is arbitrary and incremented by one on each iteration.

> If some code (like the current self-test code) provides an extra
> DEFAULT_BLK_SZ of seed material, it would go into determinsitic mode,
> but if it's missing, DT would be generated dynamically.

Sure, patches welcome.

> But that's a question of design intent, and I can't intuit that from the
> code.  Can someome enlighten me as to which option is preferred?

Definately keep the ability to support external setting of DT, as you can't pass
any validation tests without it.