On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 11:43:13AM -0500, George Spelvin wrote:
> > Wait, I'm confused. You mention in this note that this is an RFC patch, but
> > not
> > anywhere else in the series.  Are you proposing this for inclusion or not?
>
> Er, in the 0/25, I mentioned that I put the least certain stuff last,
> and in particular I wasn't sure if the the last three patches were wanted
> or not:
>
> >> Pending issues:
> >> * Is non-deterministic mode (last three patches) wanted?
>
> I certainly wouldn't be unhappy if they went in, but with the comment
> clarification just before, I wouldn't be unhappy if they didn't, either.
>
> They're "If we wanted to do this, this is how it could be done.  Is this
> something we want to do?"
>
> Sorry if my motivations are confusing.  I did indeed start with wanting
Not your motivations, just the posting mechanics.  If you just want to discuss a
patch, and aren't yet proposing it for inclusion, you should put RFC in the
prefix of every patch header.

> to add the seeding because I misunderstood the comments: I thought
> this was claiming to be X9.31 *and* I haven't seen the later versions
> of the standaed (which you have) that back off on the requirements for
> the DT[] vector.
>
> Since you've patiently explained both of those to me, I'm more interested
> in the other, more generic code cleanups.
>
> You also sent me two detailed explanations of the consequences of making
> the generator non-determinsitic in a way that gave me a general impression
> of disliking of the idea.  So I've been weaning myself off the idea.

Not particularly opposed to the idea, I just know that several use cases rely on
deterministic behavior for those entities that share the secret information, so
I need to be sure that the deterministic behavior remains and is the default.

> I put those patches at the end so they can easily be dropped from the series.
>
> Or, as I also mentioned, simply postponed until there's been more discussion.
>
> Since that's an actual semantic change, collecting a few other opinions
> would be valuable.
I'll look at this series in detail shortly.
Neil