On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 12:31:30PM +0100, Milan Broz wrote:
> Kernel 4.10 works with LUKS and XTS in general (otherwise I would scream much
> earlier:-)

I was surprised that it was still broken in the mainline release. All
the other regressions I had have been fixed. Also, I guess LUKS with
aes-xts is quite standard.

> I guess either there is a bug in some specific dependency missing
> dependency in kernel config. Could you send your kernel .config that fails?
>
> Do you have ECB mode compiled-in as well?

Nice guess. I had ECB enabled as a module, and I don't think it was
present in the initramfs. Compiling it in the kernel solves the problem.
Thanks for the clue!

I now have the xts(ecb(aes-generic)) driver appearing in /proc/crypto.
I had no xts driver before.

I don't think it's necessary now to copy my kernel config. Also, it's
quite minimalist: make defconfig with a few drivers I need, mostly compiled
in the kernel.

> (See commit description, shouldn't XTS now select ECB as well? This seems to
> me
> like a bug...)

I was actually confused by the message, I thought it would fallback to
the old implementation. I guess the XTS module should select ECB if
that's not the case. Should I submit a patch for that? Or maybe it would
be easier if a maintainer directly makes the change?

> What mail on dmcrypt list? I do not see any recent mail.

It was a mail from 2012, I should be more careful with search engines...

--
Nicolas Porcel