On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 2:56 AM, Stephan Müller <smuel...@chronox.de> wrote:

> Am Freitag, 21. April 2017, 17:25:41 CEST schrieb Stephan Müller:

> Just for the records: for FIPS 140-2 rules, cipher_null is to be interpreted
> as a memcpy on SGLs. Thus it is no cipher even though it sounds like one.
>
> cipher_null is also needed for seqiv which is required for rfc4106(gcm(aes)),
> which is an approved cipher. Also, it is needed for authenc() which uses it
> for copying the AAD from src to dst.
>
> That said, cipher_null must not be used for "encryption" operation but rather
> for handling data that is not subjected to FIPS 140-2 rules.

In the FreeS/WAN project, back around the turn of the century,
we refused to implement several things required by the RFCs
because we thought they were insecure: null cipher, single
DES & 768-bit DH Group 1.

At that time, not having DES did cause some problems in
interoperating with other IPsec implementations, but I
doubt it would today. Neither of the other dropped items
caused any problems at all.

Today I'd say drop all of those plus the 1024-bit Group 2,
and then look at whether others should go as well. As of
2001 or so, the 1536-bit Group 5 was very widely used,
so dropping it might well be problematic, but I am not
certain if it is either secure or widely used now.