Hi Stephan,

>>> The first part is clearly where AF_ALG fits and keyctl does not. This is
>>> provided with the current patch set. As the keyctl API only handles, well,
>>> keys, access to the raw ciphers may not be possible through this API. And
>>> let us face it, a lot of user space code shall support many different
>>> OSes. Thus, if you have a crypto lib in user space who has its own key
>>> management (which is a core element of such libraries and thus cannot be
>>> put into an architecture-dependent code part), having only the keyctl API
>>> on Linux for accelerated asym support may not be helpful.
>>
>> That argument is just non-sense.
>
> How interesting. For example, what about NSS with its own key database?

a lot of applications create their own key or certificate database. It also
means they need to reload and reload them over and over again for each process.
A lot of things are possible, but why keep doing things more complicated than
they need to be. As I said before, if you only have a hammer ..

Regards

Marcel