On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 08:02:01 +0000
Radu Andrei Alexe <radu.al...@nxp.com> wrote:

> On 11/9/2017 6:34 PM, Kim Phillips wrote:
> > On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 11:54:13 +0000
> > Radu Andrei Alexe <radu.al...@nxp.com> wrote:
> >> The next patch version will create the platform device dynamically at
> >> run time.
> >
> > Why create a new device when that h/w already has one?
> >
> > Why doesn't the existing crypto driver register dma capabilities with
> > the dma driver subsystem?
> >
> I can think of two reasons:
>
> 1. The code that this driver introduces has nothing to do with crypto
> and everything to do with dma.

I would think that at least a crypto "null" algorithm implementation
would share code.

> Placing the code in the same directory as
> the caam subsystem would only create confusion for the reader of an
> already complex driver.

this different directory argument seems to be identical to your 2 below:

> 2. I wanted this driver to be tracked by the dma engine team. They have
> the right expertise to provide adequate feedback. If all the code was in
> the crypto directory they wouldn't know about this driver or any
> subsequent changes to it.

dma subsystem bits could still be put in the dma area if deemed
necessary but I don't think it is: I see
drivers/crypto/ccp/ccp-dmaengine.c calls dma_async_device_register for
example.

I also don't see how that complicates things much further.

What is the rationale for using the crypto h/w as a dma engine anyway?
Are there supporting performance figures?

Kim