Hi all,

A few people have asked me about how I got the Nebula card working, so I thought I'd try and explain it here. First of all, I did not write the driver - all the credit for that must go to Florian Schirmer. Unfortunately, I've been unable to get hold of him for ages. :(

I use Linux kernel 2.4.21, straight from kernel.org. I find that this is the *only* way to go when you are experimenting with bleeding-edge stuff like DVB and Dxr3. Do the usual to build your kernel. (remember to enable the V4L functionality) I'd recommend you install and test your kernel, rather than diving straight into the Nebula stuff.

Download http://bytesex.org/patches/2.4.21/11-v4l2-api-2.4.21-rc4.diff.gz and apply this to your kernel source tree. For example:

  $ cd /usr/src
  $ patch -p0 < ~/11-v4l2-api-2.4.21-rc4.diff

This will patch your kernel to include support for VideoForLinux 2. For those who don't know, kernels < 2.5 only support V4L 1 out-of-the-box. If you are using kernel 2.5.x (or 2.6.x) then V4L2 is built-in.

You need to use 'dvb-kernel', along with 'bttv' to talk to the Nebula card.

Download http://bytesex.org/bttv/bttv-0.9.11.tar.gz and unpack it.

Grab dvb-kernel from CVS:

  $ cvs -d :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvs/linuxtv login
  $ cvs -d :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvs/linuxtv co dvb-kernel

Modify the 'dvb-kernel/build-2.4/getlinks' script to support bttv by adding:

  "for x in `find ../../bttv-0.9.11 -name "*.[h]"` ; do
          ln -vs $x `basename $x`
  done"

to the end.

This assumes that you have placed the 'bttv-0.9.11' directory next to 'dvb-kernel'.

Now we have to apply a patch to bttv. This allows the dvb-bt8xx module to directly access some I2C functions. Copy the attached patch into your bttv directory, and do:

  $ cd bttv-0.9.11
  $ patch -p0 < i2c-if-0.9.11.patch

then you can build bttv (I just do 'make' and 'make install').

Not, at last, the DVB stuff can be built! Just do it the usual way:

  $ cd dvb-kernel/build-2.4
  $ ./getlinks
  $ make
  $ make install

Use the attached script (dvb-nebula) to start and stop your drivers. At this point, I just run VDR, and it all works great! :)

Please feel free to question or improve any part of this document. I think it would benefit everyone if we keep it on the mailing list.

Cheers, Richard.