HI!

Thanks for your fast reply.

Jukka Tastula wrote:

Using mplayer (libmpeg2) causes pixelization for a short moment after
the skip, but it does not report errors. When I switch MythTV from
ffmpeg to libmpeg2, it behaves the same (no error messages, but
pixelization).

This is a libmpeg2 feature. It is more optimized for best possible speed rather than quality. If you want quality then use ffmpeg for decoding.

Funny thing is, that libmpeg2 has no such problem with MPEG2 recordings from an analog card (Hauppauge PVR-250).

Also it is very likely that anything you save off a dvb device will have some errors in it. This can be caused by so many different things you can't really do much about it. Most of these are so small that you won't even notice they're there unless your're using a really badly behaved decoder. Sometimes there are errors and you just have to live with it.

I only had one visible error so far, so that's OK.

What I do not understand is, that I get those error messages from the ffmpeg decoder for most of the recordings when skipping through it, but czap says 0 UNC errors, even when running for a long time.

All this led me to the conclusion, that something is permanently (not only every x minutes or so) wrong in the MPEGs and that I can/should do something about it. But I could be wrong.

Probably the best thing you can do about it is to run the captured mpegs through a program that removes the broken parts such as projectx.

OK.

Thanks!

Thomas