I suppose it could be a weak signal. I am using an inline signal meter to aim the dish and it shows a signal. How about polarization? It turns out this LNB is Circular only (thank you Steven Toth). How do I get dvbtune or other szap to use circular (L or R) polarity? Is this supported in v4l-dvb?

I don't fully understand the real electrical/RF implications of circular left/right vs linear horizontal/vertical other than to say that it's related to how the signal is sent (polarised) from the satellite (it's polarisation) and that you have to have a matching LNB of the same polarisation. In some cases I've been able to receive circular right with a H/V LNB but that was a rare exception, circular left never worked. I'd say buy a linear H/V LNB if your goals are to tune to H/V feeds.

I'm not suggesting this is your only issue but it's certainly one of the most important. If you have access to a spectrum analyzer when you could see very quickly the L-band representation to see whether the LNB is down-converting correctly, or whether you have a tuner related issue.

Steve