Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Andrea Venturi wrote:
>
>> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>>

>>> No - and it won't.
>>> TS is for broadcasting, and PES is for recording.
>>>

>> is this just a personal opinion?
>>
>> me, actually i can see a great move toward TS also for storing..
>>
>> i think about the HDV storage cassette; there is a TS inside the tape.
>>
>> the forecoming blu ray technology has a TS inside the optical diskette
>> (but i have to say there's a PS inside the HD-DVD disk; who's going to
>> win, i dont know..)
>>

> really? I thught it would use TS, too.
> Do you have any specification?
>
>> IMHO i believe that in the medium term there's no space for two
>> different storage standards: to hassle to maintain both up to date
>>
>> the TS is going to succeed because:
>>
>> - it's where all the development for newer services is going to be done
>> - you can store the broadcast straight on the disk
>> - the "bucks per storage byte" index is going lower and lower..
>>
>> bye
>>
>> andrea venturi
>>

> agree, and the overhead of ts over pes is going to be insignificant with
> the typically used bitrates.
> Anyway, Klaus, you can repack the pmt as a psm in the .vdr stream
> and keep the same informations about codec, language, and so on

I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

The whole HDTV thing is of no interest to me until there is
a DVB card that can actually replay HDTV in hardware. Until then
I'm not going to spend any time on this. And by looking at what
great lengths broadcasters are going to just to make sure nobody
sees (let a lone records) their HDTV programmes, it's even questionable
if this will ever become interesting for VDR.

Klaus