Am Montag, 28. Mai 2007 23:21 schrieb Manu Abraham:
> Helmut Auer wrote:
> > Hi Andreas
> >
> >> this is the default for static variables. The whole kernel relies on the
> >> fact, that they are initialized to zero. How can this change anything?
> >> Are you using a broken compiler? Can you try another version?
> >>
> >> Quoting from the dietlibc FAQ:
> >>
> >> Q: I see lots of uninitialized variables, like "static int foo;".  What
> >> gives?
> >> A: "static" global variables are initialized to 0.  ANSI C guarantees
> >> that. Technically speaking, static variables go into the .bss ELF
> >> segment, while "static int foo=0" goes into .data.  Because .bss is zero
> >> filled by the OS, it does not need to be in the actual binary.  So it is
> >> in fact better to not initialize static variables if the desired
> >> initialization value is 0 anyway.  The same is true for pointers, by the
> >> way.  On all platforms supported by the diet libc, numeric zero is also
> >> the pointer value for NULL.  So not initializing a static pointer yields
> >> NULL.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Andreas
> >
> > Sorry - you're absolutely right, I just took a quick lopok at the wrong
> > sources an made a wrong decision :)
> > The problem are the lot of unnecessary printk statements in printk
> > statements in linux/drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/dvb-bt8xx.c
> > like:
> >          printk("cx24108 debug: entering SetTunerFreq, freq=%d\n",freq);
> >          printk("cx24108 debug: select vco #%d (f=%d)\n",i,freq);
> >          printk("cx24108 debug: pump=%d, n=%d, a=%d\n",pump,n,a);
>
> just replace printk with a dprintk

Sorry, Manu, but this does not help either : (

No matter if you use printk or dprintk in the appropriate section in module
dvb-bt8xx.ko, the kern.log is still messed up with endless messages of the
above kind.

In so far we need a solution by which debug messages are not turned on by
default, but instead turned off by default.

Helmut, can you confirm that?