On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 6:16 AM, Jon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2008, at 3:40 AM, Jon wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a problem with my capture device.
> >
> > First a little history. I'm running a openSUSE 10.3 system with
> > mythtv and have had a frame-grabber (bt878) in it until recently. I
> > just upgraded to a pair of pinnacle HDTV pci cards. I just
> > downloaded the source and compiled it this afternoon, following the
> > instructions on the wiki. I have a large antenna on the roof, and I
> > get channels 3, 6, 10, 13, 31, 40 and 58 all clearly with SD.
> >
> > So, the problem is, I am trying to scan for HD channels using the
> > following command:
> >
> > scan /usr/share/dvb/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB >
> > channels.conf
> >
> > ...and it starts scanning. It doesn't find any channels until it
> > gets to 31.1, and then it says service is running, gives me the
> > channel information, and then the thing freezes. I can't ctrl+C out
> > of it, and I can't even kill the process from the root account.
> >
> > This is my schedulesdirect lineup, so I have 2 questions: Why is my
> > computer locking up when I scan channels? Interestingly, it isn't
> > locking the computer up, just the console that the app is running
> > in, and capture card it's connected to. The second question has to
> > do with my channels. I have my antenna pointed right at the towers,
> > they're all in the same general location, and as I said, the SD
> > comes in clear.
> >

> Well, I hooked up one of the pinnacle cards up in a winXP system, and
> scanned all the channels, and the ones I expected to get come in
> crystal clear. So now that I've eliminated the signal strength as a
> question... how can I troubleshoot the drivers? I have the install
> CD, perhaps the firmware I downloaded isn't suitable? I followed the
> instructions here http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/
> Pinnacle_PCTV_HD_Card_%28800i%29 which basically told me to download
> the firmware, extract it, using included script, and then get the
> source and do a make and make install. I do that, and everything
> appears to be working, the card is detected... it just freezes when
> it's scanning channels. I also managed to copy all the channel
> frequencies down while I was in windows, so is there a template I can
> put those into in order to test my card without scanning?
>
> ~Jon

Spent some more time poking around at things. It seems like it must be a
driver issue, because at this point, I can attempt to tune (using azap) to a
specific channel (using the frequencies I got out of windows) and it will
lock onto the channel, and then it won't let go of the card. I can't ctrl+c,
I can't sudo kill -9 the process, the only solution is to reboot. I've tried
a couple different releases of the v4l-dvb code, and they all seem to do the
same thing.

Are there ANY ideas? I can send my dmesg when I get home, but right now I'm
at work (until 7am pst) so, if there's any ideas that I can try when I get
home, I'm ready to hear them.

~Jon