On Jul 11, 2007  19:30 +0530, Suzuki wrote:
> Trying to resize a mounted ext3 filesystem fails due to small journal size.
>
> Background :
>
> The filesystem was created with default values, except blocksize = 4K on
> a LV partition. Later we tried extended the partition to +16M and tried
> to resize the fs using resize2fs, while it was mounted.
>
> While adding the new blockgroup, inside setup_new_group_blocks() we hit
> the limit because we are requesting for a a credit value of 2 +
> sbi->s_itb_per_group which in the case of the file system below is 1026
> while the max_transaction credits possible is 1024 for the fs.
>
> journal->j_maxlen = inode->i_size / blocksize = 16M/4K = 4K
>
> journal->j_max_transaction_buffers = journal->j_maxlen / 4 = 1K
>
> journal->j_max_transaction_buffers = 1024.
>
> Is this a supported operation ? If yes, what could be the best way to
> fix it ?
>
> Resizing the journal is not supported at the moment :(.

You can't do a journal resize online, but you can wait until your next
outage and resize the journal at that time.  Even a few extra blocks
would be enough.  I guess this is a corner case that hasn't been hit
before.  It might make sense to have the ext2fs_figure_journal_size()
take this into account when making the filesystem?

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Principal Software Engineer