Hey everyone,

I've been playing with getting FAI setup for a couple weeks now. I've spent a lot of time with the manual as well as the howto for installing custom kernels. The thing is, the howto is pretty dated. It comments putting files in files/packages which was deprecated in 2.54 from what I can tell. So there are a number of things confusing me, but I've done my best to try and figure them out.

So it seems to me that kernel's are specified in two places:
  1.  /etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf
2. specify a kernel for PXE that lives /srv/tftp/fai/ (or whereever your tftp stuff is housed I guess).

So, my question, the boot kernel is always going to be vmlinuz install or whatever you point to using fai-chboot right? From the comments in the conf file, the kernel from make-fai-nfsroot.conf is the kernel that will boot via nfs. I'm a bit confused as to how this works. Anyhow, following that stuff.. what's the best way to configure fai to install a specific kernel for class? Since the howto talks about seriously deprecated things, I'm assuming a better was has been put in place. If there's no fancy way, does anyone do a brute force approach where the kernel is copied by a script to /boot along with all the other necessary things (menu.lst, modules, etc).?

--

Carl J. Van Arsdall
[EMAIL PROTECTED]