See https://lists.uni-koeln.de/pipermail/linux-fai/2013-March/010022.html
>From man dracut.cmdline:

You can say: ip=eth1:dhcp
or even specify the MAC address with dracut.

    > dracut: Mounted root filesystem 192.168.0.40:/srv/fai/nfsroot
    > aufs 3.2.x
    > warning can't open /etc/fstab: No such file or directory
    > dracut: Switching root
    > switch_root: failed to execute /sbin/init: Not a directory
    > Kernel panic - not syncing ...
This can also happen if it tires to do a NFS v4 mount. So, first check
if you see a mount request on the FAI install server. If yes, you may
have this NFSv4 problem. See these hints

https://lists.uni-koeln.de/pipermail/linux-fai/2013-January/009899.html

P.S.: I'm always very interested in user experiences with FAI. Can you
      please fill out the FAI questionnaire
      http://fai-project.org/questionnaire and send it back to me when
      you finished a project with fai.

regards Thomas