Hi Diego,

Moreover, at the end of the install, after saying there were no errors, FAI asked to press ENTER to reboot, but IIUC that should me automatic, w/o manual confirmation: docs at https://fai-project.org/fai-guide/#_a_id_faiflags_a_fai_flags says that "If no errors occurred, the client will always reboot automatically." and that seems not to be the case (but it's exactly what I wanted: no error = boot into newly installed SO w/o any interaction, while specifying 'reboot' seems to suggest that it reboots also in case of errors).

In your template (e.g. /srv/tftp/fai/pxelinux.cfg/DEFAULT.tmpl or whereever your tftp root lies) you have to add 'reboot' to your 'FAI_FLAGS'. My DEFAULT.tmpl looks like this:

<snip>
# generated by fai-chboot for host default with IP no IP
default fai-generated

label fai-generated

kernel vmlinuz-4.19.0-17-amd64
append initrd=initrd.img-4.19.0-17-amd64 ip=dhcp root=10.12.0.1:/srv/fai/nfsroot:vers=3 rootovl FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt,reboot FAI_CONFIG_SRC=nfs://10.12.0.1/srv/fai/config FAI_ACTION=install
</snip>

'sshd' allows me to SSH into the machine during install, with 'createvt' I can switch to a dedicated virtual terminal during install and 'reboot' instructs FAI to reboot at the end of the installation process instead of waiting for someone to press 'enter'.

Robert

Antwort per Email an