IIUC that's the same as adding 'em to the basefile. Every time an install errors out, basefile/nfsroot must be regenerated to include updated root certs. Error prone and time consuming.
I'm now trying to understand:
1) who is copying the whole /etc/apt/sources.list.d during task_repository, to disable salt.list 2) initialize salt repo with a script later in the configuration phase, when packages (including ca-certificates) are already installed

Point 1 is really unexpected and shouldn't happen by default. Currently ruling out it gets done by one of my scripts. Just to be sure:
fcopy /etc/apt/sources
does *not* touch /etc/apt/sources.list.d/, right?

Diego