On Friday June 16, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Neil Brown wrote:
> > >  knfsd can get answers to such questions as:
> > >
> > >    - can you support NFSD_FH_LOCATABLE
> > >    - is file name comparison case insensitive (will be needed for NFSv4)
>
> Sorry, but does it mean that NFSv4 passes (by standard definition)
> filenames only in UTF8 (or another Unicode encoding)?

Check out draft-ietf-nfsv4-06.txt on your local IETF mirror,
but yes, NFSv4 uses UTF8 for all file names (and owner and
owner_group).
It also defines two per-filesystem attributes:

   case_insensitive   16   boolean        READ     Are filename
                                                   comparisons on this
                                                   file system case
                                                   insensitive?

   case_preserving    17   boolean        READ     Is filename case on
                                                   this file system
                                                   preserved?

though I am not certain that UTF8 has a well defined concept of case -
there was some discussion about this on nfsv4-wg mailing list a while
back, but I didn't pay very close attention.

NeilBrown