Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Daniel Phillips wrote:
>
> > Alexander Viro wrote:

> > > ... and it is absolutely meaningless for many filesystems. Try to define
> > > what it means for NFS, etc.
> >
> > Could you clarify, please?  Does this mean that generic_file_read is
> > also meaningless for nfs?  (It's used in nfs.)
>
> Erm? generic_file_read() is prefectly happy using ->readpage(). And
> frankly, I see no point in "put buffers on page if it's a block-based fs
> that uses buffer_heads, but don't map them" as a method. The rest of it
> (find/create) is done by grab_cache_page() and is completely independent
> from the fs type.

Err... I said: "This is getblk, except for pages.  It finds or sets up
a page in a mapping.  It puts buffers on the page if necessary but
doesn't cause any I/O action."  Nothing about mapping.  In fact what I
described is exactly grab_cache_page(), which I didn't know about.  my
fault, and thanks.

I've got everything I need now to proceed... Oh, um, except for
block_write_full_page not calling my prepare_write: and commit_write:
functions (it calls it's own private versions).  Is there a reason for
that?

If the overrides worked consistently I think generic_file_mmap would
also be working on tailmerged files right now.  As it is, I'm punting
it.

--
Daniel