Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> Hmmm. I don't see any use of notify_change with any of ATTR_FLAG_APPEND,
> ATTR_FLAG_SYNCHRONOUS, ATTR_FLAG_NOATIME, ATTR_FLAG_IMMUTABLE set, so that
> part of notify_change is not invoked. Currently, these special inode flags
> are set through ioctl() directly.
>
> Is the idea to put this logic out of ext2 and into the VFS? Then the code
> in notify_change would seem to make more sense to me, and ioctl() should
> invoke notify_change() instead of setting the flags itself. Using
> notify_change() would have the advantage that other parts of the kernel
> can change special attributes.

Not strictly related to ext2, but having sys_truncate call vmtruncate
via notify_change seems like a bizarre arrangement that could be cleaned
up.  There are filesystems that rely on this behaviour (once again NFS
rears its head) but in the common case where ->setattr isn't being
overriden we could take a much more direct path to vmtruncate.

*** flame suit on

--
Daniel