Alexander Viro wrote:

> One word: modules. Oh, and Linus is not alone in distaste to ifdefs.

You can ifdef based on whether module support is compiled in.

> This union is an old design mistake and it actually used to be worse -
> named pipes also were there. By chance it worked on ext2 and minixfs since
> there fs-specific part of inode had pointers to data blocks in the first
> fields (they are not used for named pipes, indeed, and large enough to
> avoid intersection of pipe-related stuff with fields that sit after them).
> Ewww...
>
> Real fix, indeed, is to take the fs-specific parts out of the struct
> inode. That can be done on fs-by-fs basis and since it doesn't affect
> other filesystems it can happen even in 2.4 - this stuff is pretty much
> automatic.

Please don't do more stuff in 2.4.0.  Really, let's fix bugs.  ReiserFS is
apparently stable, with one serious bug report that can't be replicated by
anyone but the user (though we are trying more to replicate it, and intend to
follow it all the way to an explanation, whether it is user error or not), plus
knfsd.  Please work with Alexei on finding the bug that he can generate for both
reiserfs and ext2 using knfsd and the latest patch of knfsd if you really itch
to change 2.4.0 some more.:-/

Apologies if I misread your reference to 2.4 as 2.4.0 if you intend that not.

Hans