Alexander Viro writes:

> On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:
>
> >   Hi, Al. Recent kernels have a problem with unmounting via the device
> > file. If I do:
> >
> > # mknod /mydev b ...
> > # mount -n /mydev /mnt
> > # /tmp/kumount /mydev
> > Error unmounting: /mydev        Invalid argument
> >
> > This used to work. Note that kumount only does a call to umount(2).
>
>  Shot with explicit permission from Linus. It was an ancient
> rudiment of v7->Minix->Linux 0.10 lineage and had been replaced by
> better mechanism in 0.9<something>. It makes no sense for NFS or any
> other non-block fs, it's makes no sense if you may have multiple
> mounts; other Unices had dropped it since long. Since umount(8) did
> not use it since _very_ long...
> Do it by the mountpoint.

I'll agree that unmounting by the mountpoint is the sane choice,
but it seems that umount -a is doing it via the device. That's the
behaviour I see and a cursory glance at the source confirms this
(util-linux-2.10m).

In addition, shutdown(8) from util-linux also prefers to unmount via
the device (for when umount -a fails).

Sigh. Looks like I'll have to do more digging. If this was a general
problem there would be screams all over the place.

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Current:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]