Just a thought...

For filesystem-specific mount options we already have the *data parameter,
which is parsed by the filesystems. IMHO all the options that are now
passed in flags could as well be passed in *data. Parsing them in the VFS
isn't that hard (all options recognized by the VFS could be
processed first, leaving the rest for the filesystems).

Flags could be interpreted as it is now for compatibility. The same
flags could alternatively be passed in *data, so flags could be
avoided in the future. We would still stay compatible at the syscall
level.

We will probably get additional VFS-level mount options for things like
filesystem Capabilities and ACLs (and whatever else). There's not enough
space left for many extensions like that, so passing them in *data seems
better to me anyway.

Regards,
Andreas

 Andreas Gruenbacher, [EMAIL PROTECTED]