Neil Brown wrote:
   >    3/ With this patch, only ext2fs can be exported.  Naturally when I
   >       submit to Linus, all other filesystems which it makes sense to
   >       export will provide an nfsd_operations structure.

   One word: ug.

   Why does NFS [server] need to stick its fingers into every other
   filesystem?

In general for the same reasons VFS (i.e. open/read/close/rmdir/etc)
sticks it its fingers into every file system.

NFS servers behave rather differently than VFS programs, especially
in respect to accessing files without the moral equivalent of open and
I/O sequencing.  The former makes access across server reboots
fairly seemless, the latter tends to confuse the simplistic sequential
I/O checks that work with VFS.

It's a struggle, even Tru64 space, to keep physical FS designers from
doing things that work well with local access but don't with NFS server.

As for the patch at hand, I'm not passing judgement cause I don't know
the issues here.

        -Ric Werme

--
Eric (Ric) Werme         |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Compaq Computer Corp.    |  http://people.ne.mediaone.net/werme