On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 02:06:24PM +0100, Tim Small wrote:
> On 20/10/14 20:17, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> > In other OSes, ps may be able to give a good enough equivalent?
>
> Debian's start-stop-daemon executable might be worth considering here -
> it's used extensively in the init script infrastructure of Debian (and
> derivatives, over several different OS kernels), and so is well
> debugged, and in my experience beats re-implementing it's functionality.
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/dpkg/dpkg.git/tree/utils/start-stop-daemon.c
>
> I've used it in pacemaker resource control scripts before successfully -
> it's kill expression support is very useful in particular on HA.
>
> Tim.
>

> NAME
>
>        start-stop-daemon - start and stop system daemon programs

Really? pasting a man page to a mailing list?

But yes...

If we want to require presence of start-stop-daemon,
we could make all this somebody elses problem.
I need find some time to browse through the code
to see if it can be improved further.
But in any case, using (a tool like) start-stop-daemon consistently
throughout all RAs would improve the situation already.

Do we want to do that?
Dejan? David? Anyone?

        Lars