Dear members of the Linux-HA community,

This is to announce that LINBIT, with the kind permission from the
Linux-HA project board, will act as the "steward" of the Heartbeat
cluster messaging layer code base, from this point forward. This is a
summary of our motivation and plans related to that role.

What does this entail?

- LINBIT will assume responsibility for bug fixes for
the Heartbeat code base, currently hosted at http://hg.linux-ha.org/dev/.

- LINBIT will bundle up the 3.0 beta codebase, make a 3.0 final
release (currently this is planned for the month of January 2010), and
subsequently make bugfix releases as deemed necessary.

- LINBIT will further collaborate with the Pacemaker project to
keep the existing dual-stack capability in Pacemaker.

- LINBIT will continue making the public Mercurial repository
available at the present location (any eventual relocation, if desired
by the Board, would be publicly announced with ample advance notice).

- LINBIT will administer the public mailing lists (linux-ha and
linux-ha-dev) on the servers currently hosting them (again, any eventual
relocation, would be publicly announced with ample advance notice).

- LINBIT intends to offer improved documentation for the Heartbeat
messaging layer. This is meant to consolidate the content currently
found on the linux-ha.org wiki site.

- LINBIT intends to offer support services for the Heartbeat/Pacemaker
cluster stack (i.e. the Pacemaker cluster resource manager running on
top of the Heartbeat cluster communication layer).

- LINBIT will continue to respect he Board as the final authority on
matters affecting the project as a whole.

What does this not entail?

- LINBIT has no intention to add significant features to the Heartbeat
code base, or extend its functionality significantly.

- LINBIT has no intention to apply changes to the licensing, development
model, or collaboration model for the Linux-HA code base.

- LINBIT has no intention to establish the Heartbeat code base as a
_long-term_ alternative or competition to the OpenAIS/Corosync cluster
messaging layer. However, we do believe that it is a valid alternative
for the short to mid term, and for some configurations where
OpenAIS/Corosync is currently suffering from some growing pains,

- LINBIT has no intention to support or advocate continued use of
Heartbeat in v1 (haresources) configurations. We will continue to
recommend to switch to the Pacemaker cluster stack, now that two
(technically and commercially) supported cluster messaging layers are
available.

At this time, the primary contact in charge of Heartbeat development
matters at LINBIT is Lars Ellenberg, the person in charge of
documentation is myself. The best means of relaying comments and asking
questions continues to be the public mailing list.

We hope that this is a useful service to the Heartbeat user community. I
want to reiterate that we have no intention whatsoever to change the
current, proven, community centric approach to how the Heartbeat code
base is managed. We continue to welcome, and depend on, community
suggestions, feedback, and collaboration. Heartbeat is a community
project and will remain so. If you have any questions about our
intentions and plans, please post them on this list. If for some reason
you would like to discuss them off-list, please use my direct email
address. Your comments are highly appreciated. Thank you very much!

With best regards on behalf of LINBIT,
Florian