On 9 Sep 2014, at 4:11 pm, Ulrich Windl <ulrich.wi...@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
wrote:

> <c19365b9-b626-471e-a92a-001950d01...@beekhof.net>:
>
>> On 8 Sep 2014, at 5:19 pm, Ulrich Windl <ulrich.wi...@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I remember having asked this before, but I'l still missing a good
>> explanation:
>>>
>>> What are the precise semantics of "dampening" (attrd_updater -d)?
>>>
>>> The manual page just says:
>>>      -d, --delay=value
>>>             The time to wait (dampening) in seconds further changes occur
>>>
>>> Who is waiting?
>>
>> attrd before it updates the cib
>
> So the RA sees an extra delay of -d seconds?

No. attrd does the waiting, not attrd_updater

>>> What changes?
>>
>> other processes or nodes calling attrd_updater
>
> So it means that if you call "attr_updater -d X" and then "attr_updater -d Y"
> the second update will be delayed until at least X seconds since the first
> update passed?

No.  It means wait X seconds for another update (locally or on another node)
before writing the value to the CIB.
If another update does arrive, reset the clock and wait another X seconds.
Repeat.

Usually only the -d from the first call to attrd_updater has any affect.
Subsequent calls re-use the -d value from the first.

> If a third "attr_updater -d Z" is called, will the system ensure that at
> least X + Y seconds passed since the first update before appying the third
> update?

No.