My problem is a bit easier then you mentioned with the mail server example because I dont have many processes to check. The application is handling well the active/passive state and I dont have to care about the data incosistency. The problem comes from this situation. Both of the servers are alive and heartbeat (that doesnt support app level HA) is changing the IP address when the active server failed.

Andras