>>> Fabian Herschel <fabian.hersc...@arcor.de> schrieb am 15.01.2015 um 09:05
in
Nachricht <e37vi99i8vf6o52kxi5nhsrn.1421308925...@email.android.com>:
> No only in very old versions there where two different profiles. One START
> profile and one instance profile. Today they are combined in the instance
> profile. The parameter name however could not be changed without hurding all

> installations outside.
> So its ok with a current NetWeaver, if the startprofile param points to an
> instance profile name.

Hi!

I'm working for over 20 year with SAP R/3. The tendency is that the mess
steadily increases, making things more complex without actually improving the
reliability (MHO). Where previously you used a script to start processes, you
now have some script that acts like a web client to send some request to a
java-based web server that in turn is expected to start the required processes.
Ive' see cases where a "started sucessfully" did not mean anything, i.e.
nothing was started. OK, that was off-topic, but I had to say.

So regarding compatibility, you must make sure that the configuration files
and related components match hte rest of your SAP infrastructure.

My favorite is this: If you run a "java stack" that does nothing (is idle), it
takes > 6 minutes to shut down the SAP instance (while there is no I/O and no
CPU activity). Only the best programmers (TM) can write such code. I had to
increase timeouts several times to prevent machine fencing while waiting for
the stop command to complete... off-topic again, sorry.

Regards,
Ulrich