Hi Gerd.

 >> Thank you sooo much, Gerd! Re-copying System.map to the '/'
 >> directory took care of both warning messages. You were right on
 >> the money about the kernel version recompile and not updating
 >> that file!

 > So my memory served me right :)

 > A long time ago when I started fiddling around with kernel
 > compiles I had the same problems.

 > The only thing that I do not know is how can one choose several
 > kernel versions on bootup when /System.map is so important. I
 > guess there must be some way of copying the appropriate file
 > into the correct location upon system boot.

Copying isn't necessary - just use SymLinks.

I use RedHat based systems, some 5.2, others 6.0, and all have been
tweaked to do this automatically. The tweak is quite simple as well.

RedHat stores the kernels and the system map files in /boot rather
than in the root directory, and the startup files are in /etc/rc.d so
that is the locations I will refer to. Here's what I did.

 1. Run the following two commands:

        cd /
        ln -s boot/System.map System.map

 2. Edit /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and, immediately after the partition
    containing /boot is mounted read-write, insert the following
    lines:

        # Map the correct System.map file in place.
        (
                cd /boot
                if [ -L System.map ]; then
                        rm -f System.map
                fi
                if [ -f System.map-`uname -r` ]; then
                        if [ ! -e System.map ]; then
                                ln -s System.map{-`uname -r`,}
                        fi
                fi
        )

 3. Ensure that /boot/System.map is either a SymLink or missing.
    If it is currently a file, run the following commands:

        cd /boot
        mv System.map System.map.old

 4. Reboot your system.

When you've done that, sit back and enjoy.

 > At the moment, I have one kernel that I work with so this problem
 > is not that severe for me.

It shouldn't be severe for anybody.

Best wishes from Riley.

| There is something frustrating about the quality and speed of Linux  |
| else has already done so and is just about to release their patch.   |
 * ftp://ftp.MemAlpha.cx/pub/rhw/Linux
 * http://www.MemAlpha.cx/kernel.versions.html