Linux-Hardware Digest #740, Volume #9            Fri, 19 Mar 99 14:14:11 EST

Contents:
  Pentium III Boycott and survey info (Intel no one)
  Re: AGP video cards (Daniel)
  wd7197-scsi controller ("a9425740")
  error trying to edit kernel (Larry Robbins)
  Re: Secondary Hard-drive Partitions (Sinuhe)
  SB128 PCI -- How to configure new kernels? (Mike Dowling)
  Re: Modem not responding ! (Steven Brooks)
  Re: USR Courier V. Everything ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?) (Rene)
  CM8330 sound card (Douglas Stella)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session    (Robb Shecter)
  Re: Riva TNT with RedHat 5.2/X (Eric Brown)
  Re: No modem response (Allen)
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? (John Burton)
  Re: Information about HP 695C (Glen L. Spangler)
  Re: Boca 33.6 and ppp problems (Phil Todd)
  Support for Adaptec 1530/1532? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: linux and CL RIVA TNT (Jeff Tacy)
  how am i installing my i740 chip set(agp)  video card? ("Àå±âÈÆ")
  Re: 3c509b/RH 5.2/DHCP (Martin Bouchez)
  Re: Anyone have any experience with Intel DK440LX motherboard? (Allen)
  Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 PCI card (Vincent Cunniffe)
  Mount 640M MO problem. (Vincent Lai)
  SupraExpress 56i Pro on linux ("Claus Jul Larsen")
  Re: Adaptec 2930UW & Redhat 5.2 (Vincent Cunniffe)
  Re: USR Courier V. Everything (G. Franklin McCullough)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Intel no one)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Pentium III Boycott and survey info
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:48:18 GMT

        Pentium III chip with the individual serial number that can
track your web surfing and buying habits can now have the ID number
turned on and off by software.  Following some links I found the
www.fightdivx.com website and noticed that they have a Intel Boycott
page with links, quotes and info on why you should boycott the
invasion of privacy Pentium III chips. Just like everyone suspected,
the ID number can be taken without a customers knowledge. Just like
cellular phone fraud, once someone has your unique ID number, they
could pose as you on the internet.  Do not be fooled by reports that
this problem is fixed because Intel disabled this feature by software
on their up coming chips.  Information is power. They want to know
your surfing and buying habits. That is what this is all about. Here
is the link to the page with the boycott info and links.

http://www.fightdivx.com/intelboycott.htm
http://www.bigbrotherinside.com/

Also you will find a Boycott Intel screen saver and banner on their
page above. Spread it around.

Take the Pentium III Boycott Survey
http://mail.infotrieve.com/isurvey/index.cfm?vendorid=6045&formid=F0006045

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: AGP video cards
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:48:21 GMT

>I'm about to build a new Linux system and I'm trying to figure out which
>video card to get.  I'd like to get an AGP card, and am wondering what
>people's experiences have been with the different cards that are
>supported under XFree86?
>
>I'd also like to stick with a card that has a server with good
>acceleration so if you have comments about the server it would be
>appreciated also.

My 2 cents.

Last year I setup a system with a SiS 6326 AGP.
At the time XFree86 was at version 3.3.2 which
did not come with support for the card.  I was able to
find a server for the card at the S.u.S.E. web site
but then soon after that 3.3.3 came out.

I was never very happy with this card.  I could never
get more than 256 color unless I ran it at 800x600.

Last month I dumped the SiS and bought a Viper 550 AGP.
Now I'm pulling 1600x1200 with 16 million colors.

I haven't tried any other AGP cards but I'm more than
pleased with the Diamond Viper 550 AGP.  And I will
stay away from the SiS 6326 chip set.

-Daniel

------------------------------

From: "a9425740" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: wd7197-scsi controller
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:48:19 GMT

hi,

anyone out there, who knows how to make a western digital 7197
scsi-controller work under linux???

------------------------------

From: Larry Robbins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: error trying to edit kernel
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:48:22 GMT

I'm trying to configure my kernel (2.0.36) to support my d-link
DFE-530TX. when i try to 'make config' I get the error:

'no rule to make target 'config'. Stop.'

does anyone know how to fix this problem? Anyone successfully setup a
d-link DFE-530TX card? any help would be appreciated.

------------------------------

From: Sinuhe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Secondary Hard-drive Partitions
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:48:24 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Eamon E. Perrel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>     Help!  I'm new to the world of hard drives, partition, and Linux.
> I'm running a computer with Windows 95, and I would like to put Linux on
> a second hard drive.  I've installed a drive, set it to Cable Select,
> and run the Red Hat installation.  Disk Druid will let me set a main
> partition on the second drive (hdb), but it will only set a swap
> partition on the hda drive.  Is there a way around this?  If someone
> could (if not tell me) point me in the right direction I would be very
> thankful.

If I'm not mistaken it has to be First Master or First Slave... (the 2nd HD)

Nathan Letwory
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/3089, http://come.to/Letwory
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
*He decided to live forever, or die in the attempt*

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Dowling)
Subject: SB128 PCI -- How to configure new kernels?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:48:26 GMT

I believe that there is a means of getting the SoundBlaster128 PNP card to
work with the newer kernels, but I have not succeeded yet.  Any help is much
appreciated.

I believe that there are problems "initialising" the PNP card.  As I recall
from a HOWTO, this can be done via windows.  Certainly, sound does work
without difficulty when I boot Windows NT.  The PNP tools does not work with
this system; the README claimed that this is the case with newer boards and
PCI ethernet cards, and that the cause of the problem is not known.  I'm
hoping that the fact that the card works with Windows NT means that the card
must now be initialised (whatever that might mean).

Cheers,

  Mike Dowling

--
My email address [EMAIL PROTECTED] above is a valid email address.
It is, in fact, a sendmail alias; the digit 'N' is incremented regularly.

------------------------------

From: Steven Brooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem not responding !
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 11:57:19 -0600

Laurent Martin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just installed the RedHat 5.2 (kernel 2.0.36). My modem is a USR
> 56K professional message modem (external modem). I still have a winmodem
> that I don't use anymore inside my computer.
>
> Under Windows 95, my modem is connected on COM 1 (port 03F8, irq 4).
> Therefore in control-panel I set my modem to /dev/cua0 (I've also tried
> /dev/ttyS0).
>
> Reading the Serial-HOWTO, I try to talk to my modem with kermit but I
> get no answers at all (not even a beep !).
>
> My mouse is an Intellimouse connected on psaux (PS/2), thus there
> shouldn't be a conflict between my modem and my mouse.
>
> In /var/log/dmesg I have :
>
> Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
> PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed.
>
> Shouldn't I have some lines about my serial ports ?
> When typing setserial -g /dev/cua0 I get :
>
> /dev/cua0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
>
> Is it normal to get an unknown UART ? I set UART to 16550A but it didn't
> change anything.
>
> Is it possible that the winmodem still inside my computer hides in some
> way the other modem ?
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Laurent

I had a similar problem because both my modem and my sound card
were ISA plug-and-play, and they were conflicting.  This was also
under RH5.2 (and 5.1 and 5.0).

There is a file called `isapnp.conf' in the /etc directory which configures

the ISA devices.  Basically, I had to go in and set up that file so that
the modem and soundcard no longer conflicted with each other:

I used `pnpdump' to create the `isapnp.conf' file in the /etc directory.
Then, use an editor to uncomment the lines where you want your
devices to be put (I just took the preferred settings for each device).
Then, run `isapnp isapnp.conf' and see if your modem starts working.
You might have to reboot (when you reboot, RedHat runs isapnp
automatically, so you don't have to run it again).

Don't forget to uncomment the (ACT Y) lines in the file.

Steven

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: USR Courier V. Everything
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:48:27 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (G. Franklin McCullough) wrote:
> I installed Red Hat 5.2 recently and everything works great except my
> modem which is the USR Courier V. Everything.  It is a 33.6 upgraded
> to 56K and V90.  Works great under windows 95 with connect speeds up
> to 52000.  Under Linux it will only connect at 26400.  I would
> certainly appreciate any help from someone who has already went
> through this problem.
> thanks,

I have a V.Everything, also upgraded via the official USR Windows95 software
and it connects to my ISP at 40.0 nearly every time using the V.90 protocol.

It is difficult to see the connect speed in Windows.  Relying on the system
tray to tell you is not exactly accurate.  Note that 52000 is roughly twice
your 26400 rate.  That could be a clue that you're not dialing in as fast as
you expect.

Of course, you could have done all this research already yourself and I could
be going on and on about stuff you already know, but I just thought I'd put
in my two cents.

Good luck,
Paul.

Paul Munn, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rene)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:48:28 GMT

>I would never be so cruel as to throw a rank beginner to the mercies
>of the unix command line.  But anyone who tries to do serious work
>with Windows or Mac is kidding himself.

Sorry, but this is - how shall I put it without hurting you - foolish.
Especially, since you included the Mac into a non-serious-worker
operating system. There are a lot of reasons to use Linux, but this
one is not among them.

Rene.

------------------------------

From: Douglas Stella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CM8330 sound card
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:48:34 GMT

I have a CM 8330 sound card, and my configuration try is not evolution.
I hope config my sound card with your help.

From: Robb Shecter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:48:43 GMT

Gerhard Traeger wrote:

> On 14 Mar 1999 01:49:07 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Szarka) wrote:
>
> > Problem: I want to change my resolution.
>
> > Linux:
> > Edit config files and god know's what else
>
> He?
> Where´ve you got this one?
> Changing spatial resolution for X-servers is done by pressing
> <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Num "+"> or <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Num "-">
>
> Way simpler than searching for the "desktop - properties - settlings" icons!

No, I don't think this is "way simpler".  (Me: longtime linux user, admin,
hacker, programmer, etc.)  The poster has a -very- valid point that system
configuration needs to have a canonical and easy to drill-down interface.  A key
sequence is bad, because you have to memorize it.  It's also bad because it's
hard to document.  (Where -is- it documented?  By whom? The Linux distribution
maker, or XFree, or the window manager programmer?)

Having configurations in one place (like, starting in the properties tool)
-eliminates- the need for documentation about where to find it.  This is -the-
scalable solution.  It's just good software engineering that something that
eliminates the need to document is usu. better.

Although I'm an experienced Linux user, I wish that Linux was better in this
respect.  Most people want to get a job done, or do their particular thing.  For
me, that's doing OO programming on Linux.  Every minute I spend learning how to
tune/configure X-Windows is a minute wasted.

> Perhaps, before complaining about missing capabilities of linux,
> you should first try to ask how to do things properly.

It's too bad that one -has- to ask how to change a system property...

- Robb

------------------------------

From: Eric Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Riva TNT with RedHat 5.2/X
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:48:51 GMT

Hi everyone,

I have installed RedHat 5.2 according to the book, and now I want to upgrade
to XFree 3.3.3.1.  I downloaded and installed the following RPMs:

XFree86-3.3.3.1
XFree86-SVGA
XFree86-VGA16
XFree86-libs
XFree86-XF86Setup
XFree86-75dpi-fonts

When I select my STB nVidia card and hit OK in Xconfigurator, I get a
segmentation fault.  Is the problem that I'm using Xconfigurator?  Do I need
to be using XF86Setup instead?  And if not, are there any other packages
that I need before I can configure XFree86 3.3.3.1?

Thanks,

Eric Brown
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: No modem response
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:48:44 GMT

Is your built-in Com 2 port disabled in the CMOS setup?

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:23:54 -0500, "Greg Millen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I should have mentioned it is an ISA card.
>

>>I am a newbie to Linux and cannot get my modem to respond. I read the man
>>pages and the posts in this group plus some other info sites, no joy so
>far.
>>
>>In the BIOS my COM2(cua1) shows 2f8.
>>
>> setserial /dev/cua1 shows 2f8 and IRQ3.
>>setserial /dev/modem shows 2f8 and IRQ3.
>>/dev/cua0 is the mouse and set to 3f8 IRQ4.
>>
>>If I go into minicom and try to dial with CTRL A D and ISP number the modem
>>does nothing.
>>setting local echo and ATZ or ATI shows no response also.
>>
>>The modem is a 33600 and has a Rockwell chipset and labelled :
>>
>>RC336ACFA
>>R6749-25
>>ROCKWELL 96
>>9722 B29731-3
>>MEXICO
>>
>>The modem worked previously in W98 so I am assuming it is not the modem
>>hardware.
>>
>>Any help appreciated.

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of nospam.)
PC/hardware Guru, and Linux Newbie

------------------------------

From: John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:48:46 GMT

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Ummm...not quite... bottom end single processor Alpha servers are about
> > the same price as top end Intel dual processor servers - single 533Mhz
> > 21164 w/ 256MB ram & 9gb disk runs about $4500, dual 500Mhz Pentium III
> > w/ 256MB ram & 9gb disk runs about $4500... Alpha servers go up in
> > performance & price from there, Intel Servers go down in performance and
> > price from there...
>
> there *are* quad intel boxen.  they also generally cost more than
> $4500.  still, i'd rather have a fast alpha.

I know that there are quad Intel boxes, just as I know there are lower
priced Alpha systems.. the ones I originally mentioned were somewhat
equivalent in a server environment (without getting into the details of
the MB architecture) in that they had the same amount of memory (256MB),
the same amount of disk space (9.1GB) and the same type of disk
subsystem (U2W SCSI)... one *primary difference is that its a *single*
Alpha vs. a *dual* Intel at approximately the same clock speed (533Mhz
for Alpha, vs 500Mhz for Intel). Some app mixes would do better on the
dual Intel setup, other mixes would do better on the single Alpha
system...

John

--
John Burton, Ph.D.
Senior Associate                 GATS, Inc.

------------------------------

From: Glen L. Spangler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Information about HP 695C
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:48:50 GMT

Fagni Tiziano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Is this printer compatible with Linux? Thanks for help.

I have the same question concerning the HP697C.

------------------------------

From: Phil Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Boca 33.6 and ppp problems
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:47:37 GMT

Jonathan Bowman wrote:
> Is there any reason why my Boca 33.6 Kbps V.34 FDVSP will not respond to
> any attempts at ppp?  Is it supported hardware? I have tried pppd, the
> KDE networking tool (kppp), and fvwm95 networking.  The COM port is
> fine, but KDE responds that the modem is busy.  In Win95, it has no
> problem, and I have checked and double checked my settings.  The same
> procedures worked fine on another Linux machine with a different modem
> (Boca 28.8) and RedHat 5.1.  I have RedHat 5.2 and a Pentium 166.  If
> the modem is not supported, can anyone tell me about a good V.90 modem
> supported by RedHat 5.2?
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan Bowman

I have the same modem and it works find in a dual boot box
(WIN95/Slackware3.5) I had the same problems you are having.  As soon as I
turned of the Win95 PNP in the bios setup It worked fine.  I have used it
with several different scripts including kppp and xisp.

I hope this helps.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Support for Adaptec 1530/1532?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:48:58 GMT

I have an old Pc with what identifies itself as an "AHA-1530P/1532P" SCSI
controller.

Is there a Linux driver for this controller?  Redhat's install disks only have
support for the 152x and 1542 controllers.

Thanks,

  -- Lars

From: Jeff Tacy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux and CL RIVA TNT
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:49:00 GMT

XFree86 supports the TNT just fine for me, so I would assume that you
are using an earlier revision of X that doesn't have the driver for it.
Get the latest version; I believe 3.3.3.1 is the latest. Good luck.

-Jeff
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Àå±âÈÆ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how am i installing my i740 chip set(agp)  video card?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:48:55 GMT

I have i740 chip set(AGP) video card...
but i don't know my i740 card...
please, reply for me how to installing my video card in linux...

------------------------------

From: Martin Bouchez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: 3c509b/RH 5.2/DHCP
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:48:57 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am trying to get linux to run with my cable modem.
> I have already disabled PNP.
> I was getting the message
> "delaying eth0 initialization"
>
> then I implemented the changes suggested by Tim Stark
> i.e changed my /etc/conf.modules to read
> alias eth0 3c509
> options eth0 io=0x300 irq5

compaq_irq=5 is ok

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
Subject: Re: Anyone have any experience with Intel DK440LX motherboard?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:49:04 GMT

You are aware that this is an "LX" chipset motherboard?  (if you were going to
run slower P2's or Celerons, it would be fine, but it won't do the 100 Mhz FSB,
of the 350+ P2's) -- All else should be fine, and I'm looking at getting one or
more of these for an experiment with SMP modifications on Celerons. As far as I
have seen, all of the rest of the hardware on the board is reasonably well
supported.

From: Vincent Cunniffe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 PCI card
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:49:06 GMT

> I saw the same type of behavior last night on my RH5.2 system.  I ended
> up having to load the eepro100.o module (insmod eepro100.o), then run
> Linuxconf, verify that the Ip, GW, mask, etc were correct and exit and
> 'activate changes'.
>
> It's been running fine (I have the same type of NIC - Intel PCI) since
> then.  I have to find out how/where to add the insmod eepro100.o line
> (and a couple other fs lines) so they happen automatically at boot up.

/etc/rc.d/rc3/rc.local

Regards,

Vin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vincent Lai)
Subject: Mount 640M MO problem.
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:49:08 GMT

        I can't mount the 640M MO ....Can anyone help.

        I am using Redhat 5.2 kernal 2.0.36...
        MO Model - Fujitsu Slim FN 640 Turbo scsi
       I have saw the howto on hardware and it say that I need to
download
a patch in order to support 2048 block size..

        But after I download the patch and run under /usr/src/linux

           patch -p1 < 2048dif-2.0.36

        It got the following error::

patching file `drivers/scsi/scsicam.c'
Hunk #1 FAILED at 48.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to drivers/scsi/scsicam.c.rej

        Do you have experience on it??
        Anyone can help.....??

        Thx.thx.  :

* Vincent Lai (Lai Chun Yu)                      |     ¿à®¶¦t(Àé°O) *
* Computer Science of                   Year 1/3 |     ­pºâ¾÷¬ì¾Ç¨t *
* Chinese University of Hong Kong                |     ­»´ä¤¤¤å¤j¾Ç *
* email address : [EMAIL PROTECTED] (recommended)        NA ·s¨È¤H   *
*                 / [EMAIL PROTECTED]                        *
* pager no : (852) 7707 2909     hostel: 26036335 Call Rm.123       *

        ^~ ~~ ^
      / / ^ \ \ \   .___________________.
       | _   _ |    |                   |
      { (@)-(@) }   | I am Vincent !!!  |
       |   L   |    | __________________|
        \ \_/ /     |/
         \___/
 .signature V1.00 1995

------------------------------

From: "Claus Jul Larsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SupraExpress 56i Pro on linux
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:48:00 GMT

Hi,

I had a compaq presario with the SupraExpress Pro 56i (56K modem). I've
troubles with the modem init. I wroted: AT+MS=V34,1,28800,33600 - but the
xisp say the modem init had failed.. :-( - maybe the carriage return code
doesn't here? If it's the reason, what is the carriage return code for
linux?

Thanks.

Claus

------------------------------

From: Vincent Cunniffe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adaptec 2930UW & Redhat 5.2
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:49:10 GMT

Tom Coltharp wrote:

> Does anyone know how to make this work?
> I have read some posts saying it does, but how?

It does : I have RedHat 5.1 and an Adaptec 2940UW

> I have downloaded new boot image.
> I assume you have to use expert mode to install?

Nope : ordinary mode worked fine for me, booting off the
CD directly. If you're booting from a floppy, you'll need one
that's specifically aware of the 2940 in order to be able to
use it during the installation.

> What parameters should be entered?

Nothing special.

> Is pnp a problem?

Nope.

> Must I boot to Dos first?

It's best if you can boot straight off the CD, or if not, boot
into DOS, get access to the CD, and run the install batchfile,
which uses a program called 'loadlin' to boot the linux kernel
into memory directly from your CD. Once linux is running, it can
recognise your CD and the 2940 card, and everything should work
perfectly.

If I recall correctly, the batch file is under the 'dosutils'
directory on the RedHat CD.

Once you're actually running Linux, you might want to recompile
your kernel with custom options, including your SCSI card.
Assuming you have configured XWindows and are running it at
that stage, type :

cd /usr/src/linux
make xsetup

and you'll be given a graphical menuing system allowing you to
select kernel compilation options. Find the SCSI menu, and enable
the Adaptec 2940 option (it's listed under the AIC7000 series
or something, but it *is* mentioned by name).

Follow the directions for recompiling your kernel, and everything
should work :-)

Regards,

Vin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (G. Franklin McCullough)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:49:14 GMT

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:51:58 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (G. Franklin McCullough) wrote:
>> I installed Red Hat 5.2 recently and everything works great except my
>> modem which is the USR Courier V. Everything.  It is a 33.6 upgraded
>> to 56K and V90.  Works great under windows 95 with connect speeds up
>> to 52000.  Under Linux it will only connect at 26400.  I would
>> certainly appreciate any help from someone who has already went
>> through this problem.
>> thanks,
>>

>I have a V.Everything, also upgraded via the official USR Windows95 software
>and it connects to my ISP at 40.0 nearly every time using the V.90 protocol.
>
>It is difficult to see the connect speed in Windows.  Relying on the system
>tray to tell you is not exactly accurate.  Note that 52000 is roughly twice
>your 26400 rate.  That could be a clue that you're not dialing in as fast as
>you expect.
>
>Of course, you could have done all this research already yourself and I could
>be going on and on about stuff you already know, but I just thought I'd put
>in my two cents.
>
>Good luck,
>Paul.

Thanks for the help Paul.  As to the connection speed in Linux it is
noticeable slower than windows even if the windows tray does not give
exactly the right speed.  Using wvdial in Linux it shows that I am not
in V90 or X2 mode so I am not sure exactly what is going on.