Linux-Hardware Digest #758, Volume #9            Fri, 19 Mar 99 16:13:48 EST

Contents:
  Re: I need help with My Lexmark 1000 printer (Erick Larin)
  Re: Linux setup on Alpha ("James Raymondo")
  Re: Migrating RH Linux 5.2 to new hard drive ("Greg Waugh")
  Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers ("JR McConnell")
  Re: Migrating RH Linux 5.2 to new hard drive (David Elliott)
  Re: Migrating RH Linux 5.2 to new hard drive ("Jeffrey S. Kline")
  HELP: null modem and getty (Patrick Drouin)
  SiS 6326 (Markus Hillenbrand)
  Re: Linux with > 64MB RAM?? (Dean Pan)
  Re: My mouse is screwed. (Tim Moore)
  Re: Linux and 486 (Drake Diedrich)
  Re: mesa3d and riva tnt (Tomasz Lukasiak)
  Can't print after Kernel upgrade (Steve Loewinsohn)
  Re: "Select the application, and then the platform" ("Todd Bandrowsky")
  Re: Running CD-Rom of Soundcard (Akira Yamanita)
  Re: D-Link DFE-530TX Anybody? (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Linux vs FreeBSD vs NetBSD vs OpenBSD (Robert Ribnitz)
  IDE Cache Controller TEKRAM DC-680T (VL-Bus) (biv)
  Re: Speed..Speed..Speed (Stefan A. Deutscher)
  Linux, Linksys PCMCIA, Fujitsu 420D notebook (Brian K Justice)

From: Erick Larin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I need help with My Lexmark 1000 printer
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 09:35:56 -0600

:) Never in a million years will you get that POS to work. It's one of
those Windows only printer.

------------------------------

From: "James Raymondo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.alpha,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Linux setup on Alpha
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 10:55:53 -0500

You have to build boot floppies from your cdrom

<7clmdq$lna$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "Greg Waugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Migrating RH Linux 5.2 to new hard drive
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:18:32 GMT

Well, there are several reasons I want to move it.  First of all, it works
perfectly, second of all, the drive that it's currently on is slow and very
old and I don't really trust it anymore.  That and I don't really have room
in the case for it with these new drives.  I suppose I could do it that way,
but like I said, it's a server so I don't really want it down that long... I
was hoping I could prepare the second disk, reboot and have it ready to go
in a few minutes...

Wait a second... crazy idea...  has anyone ever moved a Linux installation
using Patition Magic 4.0 for Windows?  I know it sounds crazy, but I've used
it very successfully to move NT before and it claims to do Linux...  that's
just another thought too...

Brett W. McCoy wrote in message ...
>On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:04:28 -0500, Greg Waugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Hey fellow Linux users!  I'm going to be moving my current RedHat 5.2
Linux

------------------------------

From: "JR McConnell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:19:25 GMT

mike wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>My rental building complex wants to save money and not fix
>the intercom and door buzzer. They want to hijack all the
>phone lines in the building and run them through
>a general intercom-buzzer system. When some one rings I will
>be bounced off line. Who knows what else they can decide
>to do with those lines.
>  Do people have any rights of privacy any more.!
>  I heard that police agencies can follow a suspect until
>they somehow leave a trace of their DNA and take it. Like
>a glass or plate or knife or fork in a restaurant or a hair.
>or from a napkin or tissue. What if you happen to
>throw some gum in a public garbage can or spit. Soon you
>whole genetic info like health prognosis is open to anyone
>like prespective employers .......
>        Where will it all end???
> Mike

    Personaly, If one would wish to wast the money and resources to fret
over little ol' me then they are more than welcome to. Better yet, just send
the money to me personaly and I will be willing to save them the leg work
and spill my guts about my boring, simple little life...

    Make all checks payable to....

    The number of people in this world makes it almost impossable to pick
any person out just for the fun of it, the goverment is like a sleeping
dragon. Unless one is fool enough to wake to ones existance there is little
need to worry about it even caring you exist. Life is masured by thoes
around you not thoes that never knew you...

    Sorry, just my 2 cents worth, and it is not even worth that much. :)

------------------------------

From: David Elliott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:19:36 GMT

Greg Waugh wrote:

> Well, there are several reasons I want to move it.  First of all, it works
> perfectly, second of all, the drive that it's currently on is slow and very
> old and I don't really trust it anymore.  That and I don't really have room
> in the case for it with these new drives.  I suppose I could do it that way,
> but like I said, it's a server so I don't really want it down that long... I
> was hoping I could prepare the second disk, reboot and have it ready to go
> in a few minutes...
>
> Wait a second... crazy idea...  has anyone ever moved a Linux installation
> using Patition Magic 4.0 for Windows?  I know it sounds crazy, but I've used
> it very successfully to move NT before and it claims to do Linux...  that's
> just another thought too...
>
> Brett W. McCoy wrote in message ...
> >On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:04:28 -0500, Greg Waugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>Hey fellow Linux users!  I'm going to be moving my current RedHat 5.2
> Linux
> >>server to a new hard drive.  Everything in the system is going to be the
> >>same, just a new /sda drive.  I'm just curious if anyone has a procedure
> >>do this of if it is documented anywhere.  I thought I would do a cp -a *
> (or
> >>a few with correct tmp mount points), then boot from a floppy with the new
> >>HD as root and run LILO, but I'm fuzzy on how to set up the /proc and /dev
> >>filesystem....  and if there are going to be any issues with the swap
> >>space...  Thanks everyone!  Any help would be very appreciated!
> >
> >The /proc filesystem is a virtual filesystem and is created dynamically by
> >the loaded kernel.  /dev is a different story.  You may be better off
> >backing up your important stuff (i.e., /home & /usr directories),
> >reinstalling directly onto the new hard drive, and then restoring your
> >backed up stuff.
> >
> >But is there any reason you can't keep your boot partition on the current
> >drive and just create new (and bigger) partitions on the new one?

When I need to move crap between drives I find the tar command to be quite
usefull:

Assuming you have your new drive mounted as /mnt/newdrive, and also assuming
you have this on one large partition (I usually would seperate out /home and
/usr, but it's up to you):

Go through every directory in / excluding /proc and /mnt and do the following:
[root@hostname /]# tar -c dirname/ | tar -xC /mnt/newdrive/

That should tar up the whole directory and pipe it out to another tar that will
be untarring what is coming through the pipe after changing the current
directory to /mnt/newdrive so that it all shows up in the right directory.
Make sure you don't do it for the /mnt directory (duh.. recursion).  and just
mkdir /mnt/newdrive/proc but don't put anything in it.

This should work for copying the crap in /dev also (since a distro usually has
a .tar.gz of the proper /dev dir anyway).

You will also need to properly install lilo on the machine (I strongly
recommend creating a bootdisk with the proper kernel and initrd on it while you
still have your old hd up and running, then reboot with the disk giving it the
root=/dev/sdxN.  If all goes well, reconfigure lilo, run it, and you should be
in business.

Dave.

P.S.  YMMV, but the tar thing is a trick I like much better than using cp.

------------------------------

From: "Jeffrey S. Kline" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:19:54 GMT

Actually...

Thats all I ever do. I use MC (midnight commander), and tag and copy files
and dir's over to floppies, by dir and only the ones I really need that I've
changed or added. I also make sure there is at least 2 hard drives in the
box. Then I mount that drive, formatted as ext2 of course, and just drag
copies of all homes and other important stuff that isn't backed up, and that
wont fit on floppies over there and have them available to restore
afterwards.

Another would be to use one of those parallel port Zip drives and fdisk and
format a few carts for it and do the backups to it. Since owning one of
these, they come in handy and you can make genuine ext2 zip cartriges out of
the regulars and they are reliable and nice to have on hand. If you need
help, holler and I'll pass on the proceedure to install the driver, make
them, mount and unmount them. I do it all the time and it's rather embedded
in my cranial.

Only copy the system stuff you need such as a few of the files in the /etc
folder and /usr. Even the /dev dir is recreated with standard stuff when you
install new.  The rest of it is also recreated when you install new system.
If you are doing things right, any changes you made to kernal and other
stuff such as terminfo, etc., you kept a log of this so you can mimik it on
the new one right??!!! When done, just use mc, and drag em' back on there
and restart.

Jeff

From: Patrick Drouin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP: null modem and getty
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:26:48 GMT

Hello everyone,

 I have a problem with my Linux and a Win95 PC box I want to use to log
in using a null modem. I had the setup working on my old Slackware
install but I have installed Red Hat 5.2 and I just can't get it to
work... (yeah, yeah, I should have kept a copy of my config files)

 Anyhow, here are the files I have as of now:

/etc/inittab
t1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1 DT9600 vt100

/etc/gettydefs
DT9600# B9600 CS8 CLOCAL # B9600 SANE -ISTRIP CLOCAL #@S login #DT9600

 In fact, I did get this to work for a few minutes but it crashed during
a file transfer and it now refuses to work. I have cheked the running
processes and the getty is there. If I kill it and restart it, I will
see the login prompt show up on the Win95 box but I can't enter
anything. Do I need any other files in /etc/default to get ttyS1 to
work?

 I have double-checked and this is not a problem with the echo setting,
I have tried to do a login even tough nothing happens and I can't get
the HD to spin. The FAQs did mention to similar problems and refered to
the IRQ settings but I know for a fact this was not changed since my
Slackware install.

 Any help will be appreciated.
 Regards,
 Patrick

------------------------------

From: Markus Hillenbrand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SiS 6326
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:26:38 GMT

==============98AB2A5CDEC3E89FA152A0F8

can anyone tell me how to set up the Device section of
/etc/XF86Config to be used with an SiS 6326 AGP graphic
card? Under Windows, I can use 1280x1024x16 in 85 Hz, but I
am not able to use this mode under Linux. When I start the
XServer, it says "Maximum allowed dot-clock: 111 MHz" but
the card has a maximum allowed dot-clock of 175 MHz.

System: SuSE Linux 6.0 with XFree86 3.3.3.1

Markus
==============98AB2A5CDEC3E89FA152A0F8

begin:          vcard
fn:             Markus Hillenbrand
n:              Hillenbrand;Markus
org:            Universitaet Kaiserslautern
adr:            Mannheimer Strasse 28;;;Kaiserslautern;Rheinland-Pfalz;67655;GERMANY
email;internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;work:       +49 (0) 631 / 205 2626
tel;home:       +49 (0) 631 / 696561
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

From: Dean Pan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux with > 64MB RAM??
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:26:45 GMT

I had similar problem a couple of weeks ago.  Use

linux mem=128M  RH 5.1

or

linux /dev/hda1 rw mem=128M     slackware 5.1

to pass the correct amount of RAM when you boot.

Dean

------------------------------

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: My mouse is screwed.
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:26:54 GMT

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "imps/2"
    Device      "/dev/mouse"
    ZAxisMapping 4 5            # wheelmouse
    Buttons     3

--
[Replies: make the double y a single]

"Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
                                   WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Drake Diedrich)
Subject: Re: Linux and 486
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:19:17 GMT

On 14 Mar 1999 15:57:41 GMT, Geoff Short <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>:
>: I think not. An old ISA nic card on a 486 will be damned lucky to do
>: 200KB/sec in the configuration you discribe. Expect some serious slowdowns

   I've been using an old 486DX2/66 with a pair of c. 1990 Western
Digital cards (since bought by SMC) for a couple of years and get from
700-800 Kbps throughput with heavy filtering.  Not all ISA cards are
equal.  I suspect NE2000's would have been much slower, especially with
two of them running.  WD's are memory mapped while NE2000's are I/O
port devices and require more cycles to copy into and out of.
Look for memcpy_toio() and memcpy_fromio() in the source or a message
like: "eth0: 3c503 - 8kB RAM, 8kB shared mem window at 0xcc000-0xcdfff."
in syslog to determine whether your card is memory mapped.

------------------------------

From: Tomasz Lukasiak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mesa3d and riva tnt
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:26:36 GMT

Jeff Tacy wrote:

> Tomasz Lukasiak wrote:
> >
> > has anyone had success with configuring their tnt card with mesa3d?
> >
> > tom
>
> Nope, Nvidia will not release the technical information about their
> cards that is needed to write a tnt support for mesa3d. I suspect that
> it will not be supported for a few months at least, as Nvidia won't even
> release the information under nda!
>
> -Jeff
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

do you know of anyone attempting to write tnt support for mesa3d?  any tnt
for linux links?

thanks,
tom

------------------------------

From: Steve Loewinsohn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't print after Kernel upgrade
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:19:29 GMT

My RH5.2 machine mysteriously stopped printing. I can only assume that
this happened after upgrading the kernel to version 2.2.2. I definateley
DID compile the new kernel with parallel port support, and at this point
I'm thinking the problem may be with lpd itself. Anyway here's what I
get:

bash$ /usr/sbin/lpc
lpc> status
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        no daemon present
lpc>

When I try to print it just sits there, or complains about not being
able to start the daemon. cf and df files are put in the que but nothing
happens.

lpd is running on the system, although sometimes two instances at once.
I have one printer connected to parallell port or /dev/lp1 (right?).
/etc/printcap looks fine.

So far I have tried editing /etc/printcap to use /dev/lp(0 through 3)
and /dev/printer. I have experimented with killing and restarting lpd. I
have used the RedHat printtool to uninstall and reinstall the printer's
config files. I have removed and recreated the /var/spool/lpd directory.

What do I need to do? It was printing before, I know it was, I'm not
crazy!!!

Obviously, this is very frustrating so any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Steve

------------------------------

From: "Todd Bandrowsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: "Select the application, and then the platform"
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:26:43 GMT

>I guess you've never heard of MOTIF.  Funny thing I was always required to
follow the MOTIF >standard for dialogs and used the core widgets for say an
open file dialog.

If MOTIF is so prevalent on Unix, then why do all X applications look
different?  Why do I have a bunch of different X apps on my Linux box that
all have different styles of FILE | OPEN.  Heck.  skip that even.  Why does
every one have completely different menus?

>> d.    Really shitty printer support.  X does not seem to have the same
>> concept of device independent drawing surfaces characterized by the
>
>Well X isn't an OS.

I'm not asking X to be an operating system.  Rendering is rendering.  If you
are going to have an application capable of drawing to the display, then why
not be able to use that same drawing code for clipboard support and printer
support?  Windows 3.1 isn't an operating system either and it does this.

>It can be more difficult to setup a printer under
>Unix. Remember X is the
>basis for the graphics. You then layer a window manager of your choice
>on it.

No, you start out with a generic graphics surface, and layer a windowing
system on top of that.  That way, you don't need tools to deal with
printers, and you get nifty things like wysiwyg for nearly free.

>> e.    Font support.  X does not have anything like true type fonts.  I've
>> yet to see an X application on my Linux box that does anything that I
take
>> for granted on Windows.
>
>Strange I just installed True Type fonts on my Linux box and I am using
>them with Netscape and xterm.

Ah, but under Windows, true type fonts are available to all applications.  I
don't see gimp giving me true type fonts.

------------------------------

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Running CD-Rom of Soundcard
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:26:52 GMT

Paul Mc Kenna wrote:

> > Your CD-ROM may not even be an IDE device.  Is there actually a master/slave/cable
> > select jumper on it?  Don't forget that the Sony/Panasonic(? one of those might be
> > Mitsumi, I don't remember) CD-ROM interfaces also use 40-pin connectors.  What
>speed
> > is your CD-ROM?  Generally speaking, if it's 4x or less, there's a good possibility
> > that it's a proprietary interface and you're just wasting mental clock cycles.  :-)
>
> I am sure that the drive is IDE. Up until this 486, I have never used a CD which
>didn't
> attach to the IDE controller. Also the sound card connector is marked IDE. And as I
> said, this drive was working with this sound card under windows 95. ( I think the
>drive
> was originally attached to an old Pentium I had)

That's rather unusual.  That's the first I've heard of that situation as well.  What
happens if you take out the sound card?  Even my 286 had a dual channel IDE controller.

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: D-Link DFE-530TX Anybody?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:27:02 GMT

"Minh Doan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Just wondering if anybody who uses the D-Link DFE-530TX 10/100 Fast Ethernet
> adapter with RedHat (I have 5.2) could tell me how they set it up?
>
> I can't seem to find it among the network adapters cards available.

look on the card and see which chipset it is using.  i have a d-link
dfe-500tx and it's a dec tulip 21140.  yours is some other chipset.
find that out.

--
                                           J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
                                           [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Ribnitz)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux vs FreeBSD vs NetBSD vs OpenBSD
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:27:12 GMT

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:43:38 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gilles Kirouac)
wrote:

> I have read that Linux is SystemV derived while there are the BSDs,
>FreeBSD, NetBSD,
> OpenBSD.
>
> If my objective is mainly to build a data server, which one should
>I select?
> Does it matter?
>
> Can you recommend a reading on this?

IMO, it doesnt matter that much, samba is available for all of them,
and thats what you'll prolly be using (supposing the workstations are
WinDoze).

OpenBSD vs. FreeBSD: OpenBSD places their strength on Security and
Stability, while FreeBSD/NetBSD is more of a 'hack' (which doesnt
necessarily mean it is worse than OpenBSD.

Also with LINUX you get -according to distribution -some configuration
editors which make setup/adding/removing programs a bit easier.

Robert

------------------------------

From: biv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: IDE Cache Controller TEKRAM DC-680T (VL-Bus)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:27:20 GMT

I welcome All!

I, have IDE Cache Controller TEKRAM DC-680T (VL-Bus), but I can not find the
driver under Linux.
On www.tekram.com, I anything under Linux have not found, is only under SCO
Unix, Novel Netware, Windows 95/NT.
Maintenance of function of caching under DOS, in this controller, are written
down in BIOS, but I think, that in Linux, without the driver, function of
caching will not work.
Help me to connect this controller under Linux.

The answers, I ask to send on mine Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Beforehand is grateful for the help.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefan A. Deutscher)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.fortran
Subject: Re: Speed..Speed..Speed
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:27:25 GMT

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:40:30 GMT, NoBody Here <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Jason McKnight wrote:
>>
>> Jim Moser wrote:
>>
>> > Am currently running a K6-2 300Mhz processor with 128Mb of 100 Mhz
>> > memory and considering
>> > upgrading to a faster board and processor. I am pursuing a project which
>> > will require scads of floating point
>>
>> <snip>
>> If you are looking for RAW FP power look at an ALPHA processor. Load it up
>> with memory and fast disks.

>How does memory and disk speed relate to FloatingPoint
>performance? This thread has my attention because a friend

Well, strictly, he didn't say it was. He said: "If you are looking for
RAW FP power look at an ALPHA processor." (which I think is fair enough)
and added in good advice "Load it up with memory and fast disks.".

Of course, at times memory and disks may greatly increase your FP (or
any other) speed, for instance -- but not only -- in the pathological
case where you need a certain amount of working memory and disk to even
start solving a problem. There are algorithms in most QC packages that
do certain things in memory starved systems using disk files (slower,
but at least it works) and in better equipped systems using RAM
(faster). Etc.

>at Qualcomm said he got better performance out of a PPro
>then a Sparc 10 when doing simulations on voice codecs.

I don't know what kind of math the simulations on these voice codecs
require, but you can cook up an example for a given architecture A that
shows that it is faster than an other architecture B. For Intel x86 CPUs
that is traditionally the case with codes doing lots of math with
transcendentals (sin/cos/exp) which the Intel FPUs do in hardware, while
many or most RISC CPUs don't. Simply, benchmark a number of machines for
a given application (mix) and go for it.

>That surprised me and I'd like to know how the Alpha does FP.

Check with the digital/compaq web sites for that, it's a bit too much to
explain here :-)

>Something more logical of a response is needed to be CONSIDERED
>authoritary. Doug

 Cheers,  Stefan

Stefan A. Deutscher                       | (+33-(0)1)   voice      fax
Laboratoire des Collisions Atomiques et   | LCAM :  6915-7699  6915-7671
Mol\'{e}culaires (LCAM), B\^{a}timent 351 | home :  5624-0992  call first
Universit\'{e} de Paris-Sud               | email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
91405 Orsay Cedex, France (Europe)        |         (forwarded to France)
 Do you know what they call a quarter-pounder with cheese in Paris?

------------------------------

From: Brian K Justice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Linux, Linksys PCMCIA, Fujitsu 420D notebook
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:27:14 GMT

All,

        Hello. I've got RH 5.2 on a Fujitsu 420D notebook, and am
trying to get the Linksys 10/100 PCMCIA Ethernet card to work.
The cardmgr identifies the card just fine, assigns it an unused
interrupt (10), and the eth0 interface starts. Problem is, I can't
get anywhere on the NW. Ping anything, and I get 'network unreachable'.
I believe my routing tables are fine (they're equivalent to my
desktop, on the same NW). Would anyone care to cat out their
/etc/pcmcia/config so I can see what yours looks like? Should I
be using the Tulip driver for this beast? I've tried, and get
'device or resource busy' trying to load the module. Any ideas.
As usual, thanks for the help.

Brian Justice
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

replace com with mil to email please