Linux-Hardware Digest #835, Volume #10           Sat, 24 Jul 99 01:13:27 EDT

Contents:
  HP false advertising!!!! ("David J. Topper")
  SmartMedia & RIO ("David J. Craig")
  Lexmark 5700 ColorJet printer (Carl Ahrens)
  Linux, newbe, hard and sofware question (Elector)
  Re: support for Quickcam cameras ("R.K.Aa")
  MIME and jpeg and gif files ("Larry Clark")
  Xwin Background??? (John Patrick Krut)
  Re: Linux, newbe, hard and sofware question ("Max")
  Re: Installing videocard/monitor for X ("Prasanth Kumar")
  USB mouse with linux help (Daniel)
  Re: support for Quickcam cameras ("R.K.Aa")
  Re: game card support ("Prasanth Kumar")
  Re: Graphics Card and X ("Prasanth Kumar")
  Re: Linux, newbe, hard and sofware question (Erik de Castro Lopo)
  Re: support for Quickcam cameras ("R.K.Aa")
  Re: HELP! "boot failed" installing RH6.0 on IBM PC300PL (Andy Busch)
  partition woes (steven taylor)
  partition woes II (steven taylor)
  Re: DSL and Linux (Scott Marlowe)
  Re: d-link dfe-530tx (Scott Marlowe)
  Re: spindle count and RAID performance [was: RAID controler-RAID 5 Performance]
("Joe CADdude")
  Re: Linux, newbe, hard and sofware question

From: "David J. Topper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.intel
Subject: HP false advertising!!!!
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:48:50 -0400

Hey folks,

I've already posted once before about my lame experience with HP and
their OMNIBOOK line.  Basically, they shipped me the wrong unit and took
their sweet time about doing it (eg., no next day air).

Here's the kicker.  Check out the following web page:

http://www.hp.com/omnibook/

It says the machines are available with the new 400mhz processor.  Well
that's a bold faced lie!  I was just told by an HP sales rep. that they
ARE NOT available with the 400mhz processor.

Isn't that false advertising?  Isn't that illegal?  Do I (we) have a
case?  What's the deal?

Dave Topper
--
Technical Director, Virginia Center for Computer Music
Programmer / Analyst, Dean's Office (School of A&S)

------------------------------

From: "David J. Craig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SmartMedia & RIO
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 21:17:28 -0400

Anyone know about any drivers for SmartMedia & the RIO?  I heard that some
exist and wonder if anyone has a pointer.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:00:05 +0200
From: Carl Ahrens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lexmark 5700 ColorJet printer

Is it possible to use a Lexmark 5700 printer with Linux ???
If so, how do I configure my system to get it to work.
I am using Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 and KDE.

Thanks

Carl Ahrens

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Elector)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,aus.computers.linux
Subject: Linux, newbe, hard and sofware question
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 02:58:51 GMT

First of all, I realy hope one or more of these news-groups where I've
posted this message is the right one. If not, then I'm very sorry.

Second, I'm a TOTAL newbie with Linux.

Now to my questions.

I'm thinking about building a machine (PC) just for Linux, and to that
I have a few hardware-related questions.

1. Is 64MB RAM enough (I realy hope so)
2. Is a Pentium 200, or something in that area, fast enough?
3. Where can I find a list of supported hardware, I have a couple of
PCI-Cards I would like to use, but don't know if they are supported?

And now the software questions.

1. Can a "Linux-Box" run a gateway for my Winblows, so that I won't
notice on the Windows-PC (you know log onto NT-Domains, use network
printers and so on)?
2. Are there any programs that will let me remote controll it from a
Windows-PC?
3. It is possible to run a Linux-Machine without other OS'es
installed, right, I mean only Linux on the HD?
4. Can Linux read/write FAT16/32 and NTFS, without any problems?

That's about it for now, hope to se some good answers from you.
Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: "R.K.Aa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: support for Quickcam cameras
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:35:14 +0200

Michal Szymanski wrote:

> Is there any support in Linux for QuickCam cameras (now made by
> Logitech)?

A search for "Linux AND QuickCam" at Altavista gave 6980 hits ;)

An app AND a link to a link-collection on the topic:
http://ee.mokwon.ac.kr/~jspark/rtp/qcam-0.3/index.html

App: black/white, beta:
http://cse.unl.edu/~cluening/gqcam/

App: BWQcam  (sounds like another b/w)
http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/thrise/26/qcam.html

--
                                  --  To E-mail, delete "spam" --

------------------------------

From: "Larry Clark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MIME and jpeg and gif files
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 17:20:26 -0700

I got an email today, my first on my linux box,,,,yippee!!!
but there was a jpeg and it was in the old format like it needs to be
decoded. its been so long ...how do I do it again, I am usiing caldera 2.2
thanks.....larry

------------------------------

From: John Patrick Krut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Xwin Background???
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:37:59 -0400

Hello All:

        As you might guess from the subject line, I am trying to find
out how to put pictures in the background of Xwindows - similar to tiled

pictures in win9X...

        Any ideas?

------------------------------

From: "Max" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,aus.computers.linux
Subject: Re: Linux, newbe, hard and sofware question
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:17:07 +0100

Elector wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>First of all, I realy hope one or more of these news-groups where I've
>posted this message is the right one. If not, then I'm very sorry.
>
>Second, I'm a TOTAL newbie with Linux.
>

>Now to my questions.
>
>I'm thinking about building a machine (PC) just for Linux, and to that
>I have a few hardware-related questions.
>
>1. Is 64MB RAM enough (I realy hope so)
most likely, depends what your doing
>2. Is a Pentium 200, or something in that area, fast enough?
again depends what your doing
>3. Where can I find a list of supported hardware, I have a couple of
>PCI-Cards I would like to use, but don't know if they are supported?
>

>And now the software questions.
>
>1. Can a "Linux-Box" run a gateway for my Winblows, so that I won't
>notice on the Windows-PC (you know log onto NT-Domains, use network
>printers and so on)?
no problem just set up samba, (I have cyrix 166+ 64MB ram doing just this)
>2. Are there any programs that will let me remote controll it from a
>Windows-PC?
VNC (virtual network computing its freeware)
>3. It is possible to run a Linux-Machine without other OS'es
>installed, right, I mean only Linux on the HD?
yep
>4. Can Linux read/write FAT16/32 and NTFS, without any problems?
fat16 yes
fat32 yes
NTFS hmmm have to look into that one, but doubtless there are some third
party drivers
BTW this isn`t an issue if you are networking to the other machine.

------------------------------

From: "Prasanth Kumar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing videocard/monitor for X
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 03:42:53 GMT

What error message did you get?

news:7n9f05$pb8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Daniel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: USB mouse with linux help
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 23:34:27 -0400

I'm new with linux.  I just installed redhat 6.0, but I don't know how
to get my USB mouse to work with linux.  Please help.

Daniel

------------------------------

From: "R.K.Aa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:59:02 +0200

Michal Szymanski wrote:

> Is there any support in Linux for QuickCam cameras (now made by
> Logitech)?

Ahh check out this and read cqcam.lsm

ftp://ftp.cs.unm.edu/pub/chris/quickcam/

--
                                  --  To E-mail, delete "spam" --

------------------------------

From: "Prasanth Kumar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: game card support
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 03:40:15 GMT

Readup this page on Linux joystick drivers. I couldn't find your card from a
cursery search but
you should investigate further.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Prasanth Kumar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Graphics Card and X
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 03:41:34 GMT

Depends of what you want to do. I am very happy with the 2d capabilities of
the Matrox Millenium G200 AGP w/ 8MB ram. It is around $100...even cheaper
in oem form.

news:lA7m3.23011$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,aus.computers.linux
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 13:57:51 +1000

Elector wrote:

> First of all, I realy hope one or more of these news-groups where I've
> posted this message is the right one. If not, then I'm very sorry.
>
> Second, I'm a TOTAL newbie with Linux.
>
> Now to my questions.
>
> I'm thinking about building a machine (PC) just for Linux, and to that
> I have a few hardware-related questions.
>
> 1. Is 64MB RAM enough (I realy hope so)

Yep, 64Meg should be sufficient for most things.

> 2. Is a Pentium 200, or something in that area, fast enough?

Yep for most things. I run a Pentium 133 and I can run XMMS (MPEG
player) run a compile job, and surf the web simultaneously without
having XMMS drop audio.

> 3. Where can I find a list of supported hardware, I have a couple of
> PCI-Cards I would like to use, but don't know if they are supported?

>From memory, Redhat has a supported hardware list. Also check out
the linux hardware database:

    http://lhd.datapower.com/

> And now the software questions.
>
> 1. Can a "Linux-Box" run a gateway for my Winblows, so that I won't
> notice on the Windows-PC (you know log onto NT-Domains, use network
> printers and so on)?

Not sure.

> 2. Are there any programs that will let me remote controll it from a
> Windows-PC?

Yes, windows comes standard with telnet which will allow you to log
into the Linux machine a run any console app. If you're doing this
over the 'net you should probably use a secure (ie encrypted) telnet
like program such as secure shell (http://www.ssh.fi).

> 3. It is possible to run a Linux-Machine without other OS'es
> installed, right, I mean only Linux on the HD?

That the way I prefer it :-).

> 4. Can Linux read/write FAT16/32 and NTFS, without any problems?

FAT16/32 is no problem. Read only access to NTFS is possible, but write
is not really safe yet.

Erik
     Erik de Castro Lopo     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Only wimps use tape backup: *real* men just upload their
important stuff on FTP, and let the rest of the world
mirror it ;)" -- Linus Torvalds

------------------------------

From: "R.K.Aa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 05:20:19 +0200

Michal Szymanski wrote:

> Is there any support in Linux for QuickCam cameras (now made by
> Logitech)?

Ahh check out this and read cqcam.lsm

ftp://ftp.cs.unm.edu/pub/chris/quickcam/

Also: CU-SeeMe stuff:
http://home.netconnect.com.au/tools/video/index.html

--
                   --  To E-mail, delete "spam" --

------------------------------

From: Andy Busch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP! "boot failed" installing RH6.0 on IBM PC300PL
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 23:26:14 -0400

Jan Poulsen wrote:

> I just got RedHat 6.0, and wanted to upgrade RH5.2 on my IBM PC300PL.  I
> used rawrite to write BOOT.IMG to a diskette.  I put the RedHat CD-ROM
> in, and booted on the diskette.  INITRD.IMG starts to load, but after
> about 10 secs. I get "Loading initrd.img ........ Boot failed".  I tried
> putting BOOT.IMG on another diskette, but no luck :-(

I have two suggestions.

Download a new boot.img from the net.  I have a different problemwith my
mandrake boot.img that was solved with a new image.

try using your 5.2 image.  It seems to begin running from the CD before it
becomes important which verison disk you have.

Andy

------------------------------

From: steven taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: partition woes
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 13:04:36 -0400

I just installed a 13gb HD (my old 2.1gb died), and decided to go ahead
and upgrade the whole dern box (K2-400, 128mb ram). I've been using
Linux for about 5 years now (I don't think that this problem is a new
one), anyway I can't get the HD to partition the way I would like it to.
Here's what I've set up:
Maxtor DiamondMax 91303D6 (13gb, IDE)
ASUS P5a shows:
Size: 13031
CYLS: 25249
HEAD: 16
PRECOMP: 65535
LANDZ: 25248
SECTOR: 63

I installed everything, booted up a win95 (osr2) floppy, ran fdisk and
partitioned as follows: (by the way I did NOT use the Large disk support
option in WIN95 fdisk)
Partition 1: Active  Primary DOS 502MB  FAT16 # I'm going to use this
for WIN95
Partition 2:         Extended DOS  11923MB
Partition 3:   Logical UNKNOWN 126MB #Going to use this for Linux swap
"       " 4:      "      "     502MB #Linux /
"       " 5:      "      "     1028MB # Linux /usr
"       " 6:      "      "     2047MB # Linux /usr/local/
"       " 7:      "      "     2047MB #Linux /storage_drive for backing
up my laptop
"       " 8:      "     FAT16  502MB  # win95 partitions
"       " 9:      "      "     502MB    "
Partition 19:  Logical  UNKNOWN 651MB

Anyway the DOS/WIN95 fdisk happily set the partitions (all as FAT16
type), and
I installed WIN95 on the first (primary,active) partition - no problems.

Then I stuck the RH5.1 boot diskette and CDROM in, booted up the
machine, started the
install program in expert mode got to the partitioning menu, chose
fdisk, hit 'p'
for "print the partition table", and got this output:

Disk /tmp/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1024 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

Device     Boot     Begin   Start       End       Blocks       Id
System
/tmp/hda1    *        1       1          64      514048+        6
DOS 16-bit >=32M
/tmp/hda2             65      65        1584   12209400         f
Unknown
Partition 2 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(1023, 254, 63) logical=(1583, 254, 63)

Well, I can't change anything in the extended partition because I can't
use it!

HELP !!

(I hope that this mailer doesn't scramble the message - if it does let
me know
and I'll re-post it)

P.S. Go ahead and post your reply to the NG, I'm sure I'm not the only
one to have this
problem - but - please email me with your help as well (I check my email
more often).

Thanks a lot !!

------------------------------

From: steven taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.help
Subject: partition woes II
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 18:17:30 -0400

Subject:
            partition woes
       Date:
            Fri, 23 Jul 1999 13:04:36 -0400
       From:
            steven taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Newsgroups:
            comp.os.linux.hardware

From: Scott Marlowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DSL and Linux
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 22:10:29 -0600

"Kurtis D. Rader" wrote:

> Chris wrote:
> > Tim, is that all? I mean, connect from the NIC to the ADSL modem and
> > I can access the web now? How do I set up in LINUX given that I've
> > connected (say a 3Com NIC) to my Alcatel 1000 ADSL modem? Is it a
> > normal network setup?  Have you actually tried this out?    Btw,
> > what 10 BaseT NIC do you recommend? (especially those that got
> > drivers in Redhat 6.0 currently/drivers that are obtainable through
> > the internet for the NIC)
>
> An ADSL modem is, for all intents and purposes, an ethernet bridge. It
> performs no routing, address conversions, or anything else. All it
> does it convert ADSL physical signaling to whatever is required by the
> other media connector.

This isn't strictly true.  In the case of USWEST, the Cisco 675 external
does double duty as a NAT gateway and DHCP server.  Connections are
achieved not in bridging mode, which is being phased out for home use,
with PPP dialup networking over the DSL link.

Basically, the DSL modem connects to the ISP for you, then you get an
ISP from it, usually 10.0.0.2 and it sends your box the DNS server IP
address, and the DSL modem NATs you out to the routers on the ISP and
onto the internet.

> For a NIC you can use just about anything. I went with a SMC EZ PCI
> 10baseT ethernet card. Cheap and reliable. Use the PCI NE2K driver in
> RedHat. Standard RedHat v6.0 kernels have most of the NIC drivers
> enabled by default and the kernel will automatically chose the correct
> one.

Please be aware that the Cisco 675 does not switch to 100Mb/s, and most
100BaseTX cards won't autoswitch down to 10 Mb/s, so you might need to
config your system to use the media switch when bringing up the
interface.

By the way, if he has commercial service with static IP he is likely in
bridging mode, yes.

------------------------------

From: Scott Marlowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: d-link dfe-530tx
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 22:05:18 -0600

j wrote:

> D-Link  dfe-530TX. Do these cards work well under linux?  i am
> installing one in my winbox at work and plan eventually to take the
> computer home, where i will install linux and be.

Work great.  Use the via-rhine driver.  note that all the versions of
the 2.0.36 kernel I tried could not compile the DFE530TX as in the
kernel, only as a loadable module.  Don't know id that problem is still
there in the 2.2.x series kernel.

------------------------------

From: "Joe CADdude" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: spindle count and RAID performance [was: RAID controler-RAID 5
Performance]
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:43:19 -0400

I always thought that raid5 always uses sets of 3 drives.  The benifit is
that it doesn't write the parity to any one drive.  The speed hit is only in
the write phase of operation.  Reading is just as fast as raid 0 as you
divide the data in half and read one block from one drive and one block from
the second.  You get increased performance with increased number of drives
when reading more than one secord'ed files.  As it will queue up all the
reads to the drives in sequence.

This works like this.  you have 4 drives say, named A,B.,C,D.  It will write
the first block of data  between A, and B with parity writen to C.  The next
sector will be written to D and A, with parity writen to B. etc.. when you
go to read, it will queue up the reads from A, and B, then call up the next
blocks from D, and by that time A will have responded, so it then goes back
to A to get more info.  then queues up C, and since D will have responded,
it gets queued for the next half block.  If you had more drives, you would
see it gets shorter as the number of drives goes up it can retreave the data
in contiguous blocks faster than the request for that data required.

Raid 5 with X number of drives has the exact same perfomance as a Raid 0
with X-1 drives.  Raid 0 requires a minimum of 2 drives, where raid 5 needs
at least 3.  In most cases the number of controlers handling the raid is not
the bottleneck in performance, rather the speed of the drive itself.  As
most modern scsi drives do come with a considerable cache on them, the data
comming down the scsi bus is cached as the controler figures out how to
split up the data, and little time is spend in actually sending the data
down the piece of wire that connects the drives to the controler.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,aus.computers.linux
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 05:12:19 GMT

These are kinda FAQ/HOWTO-type questions, but whatever, I haven't been lurking
here long enough to get annoyed about that yet. :)

Check out http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/ as soon as possible, at any rate.

>First of all, I realy hope one or more of these news-groups where I've
>posted this message is the right one. If not, then I'm very sorry.
>
>Second, I'm a TOTAL newbie with Linux.
>

>Now to my questions.
>
>I'm thinking about building a machine (PC) just for Linux, and to that
>I have a few hardware-related questions.
>
>1. Is 64MB RAM enough (I realy hope so)
>2. Is a Pentium 200, or something in that area, fast enough?

More than enough. The first machine I installed Linux on was a Pentium 133
with 16 MB of memory. It is quite adequate as a desktop workstation, though
it doesn't run Netscape too well (more memory helped that) or zippy enough
to run a really fancy GUI like GNOME or KDE. For basic use, X-windows, web
browsing, and development, though, it was quite adequate.

And you could get away with a lot less (as little as a 386 w/ 4 MB of memory
or less) if all you needed was a low-scale firewall or http server or
something like that.

>3. Where can I find a list of supported hardware, I have a couple of
>PCI-Cards I would like to use, but don't know if they are supported?

See preamble to this response; there's a hardware compatibility HOWTO. Also
check the hardware list of the distribution you plan on installing.

Yup. Check out www.samba.org

>2. Are there any programs that will let me remote controll it from a
>Windows-PC?

Ever hear of telnet? That (plus possibly a windows X-server for non-console
stuff) should be all you need.

>3. It is possible to run a Linux-Machine without other OS'es
>installed, right, I mean only Linux on the HD?

Unless you're planning on doing something really odd like running Linux
on a 68k Macintosh, no other OSes should be necessary.

>4. Can Linux read/write FAT16/32 and NTFS, without any problems?

FAT 16/32, yes; NTFS access is read-only last time I checked.

Matt Hiller