From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: Adaptec AIC 7896 SCSI
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:39:37 GMT

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 02:32:42 -0600, Jeff Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Read the howto recompiling the kernel with modules, KERNEL-HOWTO, if I
>remember correctly scsi drivers as modules have to be in lilo as ramdisk
>images.

If he is not trying to boot off the SCSI drive, this is not necessary.  If
he is trying to boot off the SCSI drive, it would be more straightforward to
compile the support into the kernel, and not as a module.  I have an Adaptec
SCSI card in my machine, as a module.  In my startup scripts, I modprobe it,
and everything works fine, but I am booting off an IDE drive.

>run mkinitrd and include the initrd line in your lilo.conf file. Any
>hardware that is required at boot like scsi has to be loaded by initial
>ramdisk to be available to the kernel.

>Jeff Moore

>Janis Ivanovskis wrote:
>
>> I have the subj. SCSI card, i cannot boot up RedHAT Linux 7.0. I
>> loaded aic7.xxx module, but anyway, it says thats scsi hosts: found 0.
>>  Can anyone help.

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: RH7 and Crystal CS4237B
Date: 25 Oct 2000 00:40:33 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Charlie Zender <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm trying to get RealPlayer audio/video streaming on my
> RedHat Linux 7.0 intel system, a dual processor Dell PIII
> Precision 610 with an integrated Crystal CS4237B soundchip
> (soundblaster compatible).

> The error message from the Real Audio 7.01 Unix player is:

> "Cannot open audio device, another application may be using it"

Are you in gnome?  Make sure that you check the box "start
sound server" in the gnome control panel.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: Phil Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: my computer froze
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 19:44:03 -0500

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I started to have problems with my PC last week I started to freezing on
>me especially when I was on line browsing with netscape
>
>I was running linux (red hat 6.2) since may but it newer happend before
>My pc froze on me a few times last week and the worst thing about it was
>when I restarted no display showed up on the monitor so I could not
>troubleshoot it I tried to restart but no display again
>I kept turnig the pc off and on maybe on 20th time it started to boot
>the day after the same thing happen agin froze and after restart no
>display no double beep ,strange ahh and this time it took maybe 30 -40
>off and ons.
>I thought my pc is fried but it started suddnly after
>sometimes it froze at boottime at mmory check stage and I got a endless
>beep.
>
>I decided to reinstall linux which was yesterday It froze on me today
>when I was editing a perlscipt and ran netscape! but no boot problem
>oh and when I boot to linux I get something like
>ems[386] ....-0.1% unknown
>
>Ok my question is can linux actually damage a pc? whad could cause this
>freezing I thught that the processor may be overheated? but I'm not sure
>before it froze I heard som Hard drive activity but nothing specal and
>the PC should boot without an hard drive I looked like a motherboard or
>processor problem because the monitor did not start at boottime
>I run linux on a separate partition but on the same disk with windows
>I have Tyan tsunami 440BX board and pentium3 500 slot 1 processor
>
>anybody experienced something like this or has some tips please reply
>
>thanks
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Hi,
        in answer to the first question no linux can't damage a pc.  I would
look at memory first.  Many non starting errors are found there.

Phil

------------------------------

From: Jeff Shipman <shippy@{nospam}.cs.nmt.edu>
Subject: cdrecord w/Plextor 12x/4x/32x
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 18:43:02 -0600

I'm trying to set up cdrecord with my PlexWriter 12x/4x/32x,
which is capable of writing at 12x, and I say speed=12, but
for some reason, it only writes at 4x. Is there something
special I need to do? The line I use is:

cdrecord dev=3,0 speed=12 home.iso

The output I get is:

Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: '3,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 3 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 2.1.38
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 2
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   : SYNC LINKED
Vendor_info    : 'PLEXTOR '
Identifikation : 'CD-R   PX-W124TS'
Revision       : '1.05'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 4 in write mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in 9 seconds.

--
Jeff "Shippy" Shipman     E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CS Major / EE Minor       ICQ: 1786493

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: Linux on IBM RS/6000....p-Series eServer
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:44:20 GMT

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:46:25 -0400, "Joseph S. Cendrowski"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Anyone aware if any of the major vendors are releasing installs allowing
>for the installation of Linux on IBM RS/6000?

>I'm just curious if Linux has expanded its bounds beyond x86, Alpha and
>Apple Power PC. I have checked the IBM site but can't get clear answer.

IBM has publicly stated that they are committed to having Linux run on _all_
their hardware, the RS/6000 included.  Even their top-of-the-line S/390 (and
now eSeries) platforms have available the patches to the kernel, gcc, etc.,
necessary to allow them to run Linux.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:47:02 GMT

In our last episode (Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:46:25 -0400),
the artist formerly known as Joseph S. Cendrowski said:
>Anyone aware if any of the major vendors are releasing installs allowing
>for the installation of Linux on IBM RS/6000?
>
>I'm just curious if Linux has expanded its bounds beyond x86, Alpha and
>Apple Power PC. I have checked the IBM site but can't get clear answer.

What precisely do you mean by "RS/6000"?

You might check <http://linuxppc.org/>; it indicates that Linux runs
on "many IBM and Motorola PReP and CHRP workstations .... and certain
IBM RS/6000 computers. "
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@" "ntlug.org")
<http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linux.html>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: SCSI recommendation, please
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 01:04:59 GMT

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 19:12:36 -0500, "Jorge Alvarez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hi there,

>For the first time, I need to install Linux using a SCSI hard drive and
>controller on a Pentium III based server. I have installed Linux on many IDE
>drives in the past, but never on SCSI hardware.

>I find the process intimidating. Could someone please recommend me a proven
>controller/hard drive SCSI combo solution that works great with Linux? I
>need a HD of 20GB approx. I would like the controller/HD to be recognized by
>the Linux installation process, as I do not want to install drivers by hand.
>Hope I am not asking too much! :-)

Jorge,

There are tons and tons of SCSI cards that will work with just about any
Linux distribution.  A lot of people prefer Adaptec, others like Tekram,
Initio, Advansys, etc.  You don't have to worry about Linux recognizing the
hard drive, that's the job of the SCSI card.  Just about any IBM, Seagate,
Western Digital, etc. drive will do a good job for you.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 25 Oct 2000 01:24:33 GMT

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 14:50:58 -0700, Charlie Zender wrote:
>I'm trying to get RealPlayer audio/video streaming on my RedHat Linux
>7.0 intel system, a dual processor Dell PIII Precision 610 with an
>integrated Crystal CS4237B soundchip (soundblaster compatible).

It may *say* "SB compatible", but the CS423x chips are very different
from SB chips.  Did you run "sndconfig"?  If that fouls up, try the
following set of commands:

modprobe sound dmabuf=1
modprobe cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9
modprobe opl3 io=0x388

You may have to use 0x530 and not 0x534 for the io= in cs4232.  After
executing those commands, the speaker(s) should click, and you should be
able to play a sound through /dev/dsp using, f'rinstance, "wavplay
$SOMEFILE.wav".

>How can I determine what other application, if any, is indeed using
>the audio device? Is there a test program which will tell me
>whether the problem is a hardware or software problem?

There's a useful utility called "fuser" which can tell you what (if
anything) is using a file.  Your audio device is almost always /dev/dsp,
so "fuser /dev/dsp"?  This sounds to me like your sound is configured
incorrectly, unless you can already use your sound card with wavplay or
xmms or any other sound-playing program.

If you can already play sounds via programs other than RealPlayer, the
problem is with RealPlayer.  Search comp.os.linux.* for "Realplayer 7.0"
with http://deja.com/home_ps.shtml for info--I don't use it and so can't
help you with configuring it.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Can't Print
Date: 25 Oct 2000 01:24:35 GMT

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:13:40 GMT, Brian "Beej" Cyr wrote:
>I am running Redhat 6.1.  This workstation when it was a windows
>machine printed just fine.  Even now when I boot it from a DOS
>diskette I can print.  However the printer does not seem to respond in
>Linux.   I have the hardware set (in BIOS) to IRQ 7 Port: 3BCH and I
>have tried Port 278H as well.
                 ^^^^
That's generally expressed as "0x3BC" and "0x278".

>The printer does reset when I restart the computer.  And I am sure the
>hardware is working alright.  When I go to do something simple like:
>ls > /dev/lp0
>I get no such device.  I have repeated this startement with lp1, and
>lp2      On my other linux box (also 6.1 but different hardware) it
>works fine.
>
>Can someone give me a suggestion on places to look to fix this?

http://linuxprinting.org/
http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO.html

There was a bug in RH 6.1's /etc/conf.modules IIRC; the fix involved
adding the line
  alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
to that file.  Anyway, to rule out that problem, do:
  insmod parport_pc
  insmod parport
  insmod lp
and see if you can cat stuff to /dev/lp0 .

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to print to Okidata Okipage 6e printer
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 01:26:26 GMT

I have Okidata Okipage 6e printer.  I think it's something called an
LED printer, which gives an output that resembles a laser printer;
I can't differentiate it and a laser printer.  Anyway, it's not a dot
matrix or something acient like that.
I don't think that it's supported by Linux.  What would be the closest
substitute, in terms of a driver, for this printer?  Thanks.

=====

------------------------------

From: "Phil Martinez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help with setting up an HP IID laser printer in Rehat 7
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 20:46:28 -0500

Hello,

I have Redhat 7 and a HP IID laserjet printer.  I would really like to get
this thing to work, but have had no luck as of yet.  I have been using the
printtool but it seems worthless.  It has a setting in there for the IID/IIP
but only for the printers that have the postscript cartridge.  Can anyone
help me out?  or........if you have a post script cartridge for a HP IID i'l
like that too.  Ideally however, i'l like to know how to make this work AND
get that postscript cartridge.

Thanks in advance,

Phil Martinez

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: HELP: Boot or HD problem!
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 22:43:43 GMT

Bernd Rellinghaus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hi there,

: I have a problem with booting my notebook (Gericom Silver
: Seraph) that is installed for dual boot (Windows98 / Linux):

[snip]

: I would appreciate you sending me any regarding informations!

This is only a wild guess.
Check your BIOS-Setup. It looks like the BIOS forgot your disk
parameters.

Good Luck,
Friedhelm

--
Microsoft is NOT the answer. Microsoft is the Question.
The answer is: "NO!"

From: hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE Device Driver - EXT2
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 02:11:49 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> My client is in search of bright, talented people...

Now that you've pissed off all of the bright, talented people, you
should lower your sights to second-raters and the clueless.

--
Howard Christeller  Irvine, CA   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: lynx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 22:28:14 -0500

"Jorge Alvarez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, in
<ElpJ5.7869$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> For the first time, I need to install Linux using a SCSI hard drive and
> controller on a Pentium III based server. I have installed Linux on many
> IDE drives in the past, but never on SCSI hardware.

the software side of it isn't very hard, and the hardware side really
isn't either. there are a few more niggling details to remember and
deal with on both ends, but not too bad. (terminate the bus properly,
set all the target ID's right, the controller's BIOS settings, getting
the BIOS to boot from SCSI, that sort of thing. oh, and many distros
insist on using an initrd for SCSI setups. if you roll your own kernel
you can get around that, and might well want to.)

> I find the process intimidating. Could someone please recommend me a
> proven controller/hard drive SCSI combo solution that works great with
> Linux?

i only have personal experience of the adaptec 2980, which is now so old
i wouldn't recommend it. go for a fast/wide at least, consider an u/w.
most any modern SCSI disk should work with any host adapter; SCSI is a
very standard standard, i haven't heard of incompatibilities on that end
in many years now.

> I need a HD of 20GB approx. I would like the controller/HD to be
> recognized by the Linux installation process,

i wish i could help you, but all my distros are ancient - i've no real
idea what modern ones autodetect. any recent-but-not-released-yesterday
PCI card, i should imagine. SCSI isn't black magic any longer.

other than that, i'd recommend going all SCSI - cd-rom, tape drives, zip
drives and all - to free up IRQs and suchlike from the IDE controllers,
once you disable them. such resources are better spent on *real* hardware. ;)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daiei V2!!)
Subject: Does Epson EPL5700/5800 work under Linux?
Date: 25 Oct 2000 02:31:28 GMT

    Can anyone tell me if Epson EPL5700L/5800 work under Linux or not?
    I can't find any discussion in many newsgroup.

From: Diego Woitasen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SuSE 7.0 and 3Com 3c509b
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:50:05 -0300

achim wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Xeno Campanoli wrote:
>
> > I'm having 100% problems with all my modems and NICs I'm trying to use with
> > S.u.S.E. 7.0.  The one I want to work on first is a machine I've got with two
> > 3c509b's in it.  It doesn't see either card.  I've tried making sure the Kernel
> > compiles with the modules available and then I go through the howto sequence
> > for compiling and configuring, but still, no eth0 comes up in dmesg.  I'm still
> > whacking away at it, but I hope somebody knows of something fundamental I might
> > be doing wrong.
>
> How old is your Motherboard ? You should try to enable/disable in the Bios under
> the point PNP AND PCI SETUP (the item of this entry depend from the Motherboard
> Manufacturer) the entry PNP OS INSTALLED.
>
> Then you should check the IRQ from the 3com NIC. This IRQ should controled by ISA
> (under PNP AND PCI SETUP too).
>
> You can also check your NIC to see the correct function with the tool 3c5x9cfg from
> the Driver Disk or from the internet-site from 3com. You can perform a full
> function test with a second computer and the same NIC from 3com (see 3c5x9cfg-tool)
>
> bye

Try setting the NIC manually. Network devices -> ethernet -> 3commodel