From: Olaf Weidemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kyocera FS-3400+ Konfiguration/Coniguration
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 09:11:04 GMT

Hi,

ich habe hier mit wenig Ahnung aus einem alten PC einen Samba-Server=20=

=84gestrickt=93 und ihn in mein NT-Netz integriert. An diesem Rechner h=E4=
ngt=20
an der parallelen Schnittstelle ein Kyocera FS-3400+. Den habe ich mit=20=

yast1 als HP Laserjet III eingebunden und freigegeben. Auf dem NT-Client=
=20
habe ich den Druckertreiber HP Laserjet IIID Postscript Cartridge v52.2 =

gew=E4hlt.=20

Der Drucker l=E4sst sich tadellos ansprechen und das Druckbild ist sehr =

gut. Leider beginnt der Druck etwas zu hoch und ist zu weit rechts.

L=E4=DFt sich der Rand umstellen? Habe den Rat der SDB befolgt und die=20=

Dateien margins.ps ge=E4ndert und die Datei apsfilterrc angepasst. Hat=20=

leider keinerlei Wirkung.

Wenn ich das ganze richtig durchblicke, l=E4uft der Druck hier =FCber=20=

Ghostscript 5.5.

Ich habe auch den Tipp bekommen, die Datei a2ps.cfg zu =E4ndern, auch da=
s=20
funktioniert nicht.

Hat jemand eine Idee?

Now in english (I'm sorry but my english is a nightmare):

I installed a samba-server and integrated this server into my NT network=
.=20
I connected a Kyocera FS-3400+ to the parallel-port. I configured the=20=

printer via YAST1 (Suse-Linux) as a HP Laserjet III. I use the HP LJ III=
D=20
Postscript Cartridge v52.2 driver on the NT-clients.

The printer works fine, but the print is to close to the left and the to=
p=20
border of the Paper.

I followed a hint from the =84Suse-Support-Database=93 and modified the =
files=20
margins.ps and apsfilterrc. The modifications have no effect.
An other hint was modifying the file a2ps.cfg. This modification was=20=

without an effect too.

So my knowledge about Linux is very small. I think I'm printing via=20
Ghostscript 5.5.

Any ideas?

Gru=DF
Olaf

------------------------------

From: Peter Nunn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Packard Bell Iconnect 733C
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 19:17:03 +1000

Does anyone out there know if I can run Linux on one of these
critters?

Its got a USB keyboard and mouse with it (although I can plug in a
normal one if I have to).

Thanks in advance.

Peter.

------------------------------

From: "Frank Meischner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: epic100.o not linked to kernel
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 11:53:22 +0200

I have to compile a kernel (2.2.16) that have to work with ethernet. therefor
I want that the nic epic100 aka  SMC EtherPower II (SMC9432
serie) is in this kernel. This card have to be added by hand into
.config-file ('CONFIG_EPIC100').

After I've done 'make dep' and 'make'/'make bzImage' there is a file named
epic100.o in the './drivers/net' directory but it is not in in the
compiled kernel (I searched with 'strings vmlinux|grep epic' in the
uncompressed kernel). The other NICs which I also compiled in are there
(ie: eepro100) but even not this card.

can somebody help me?

------------------------------

From: "Pavan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Asus Geforce 2 mx in working in linux?
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 16:12:21 +0530

> is this because of my Asus GeForce 2 MX problem... that linux
doesn't
> support the graphics card or is there a way to fix this up?

GeForce2 MX isn't supported by RH7. Get the nvidia drivers at
www.nvidia.com or get a newer version of X. X4.0.2 supports this card.

-Pavan

------------------------------

From: Florian Lorenzn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DLT tape drives
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 13:02:23 +0000

Hi Kwan,

where is this information from HP aboutthe SeSores and Linx on their websie
avalable. Cold you send me an URL not just www.hp.com/? Thanks a lot.

Florian

------------------------------

From: "Yannick Butin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB Audio device
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 13:17:51 +0200

Hi,

I want to install an standard USB Audio device under Linux.

How can I make this installation ?

Is standard drivers for these devices exists ?

I have launch usbview application and I see endpoints of my USB device
correctly.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Yannick Butin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: ATI Rage 128+ AGP Installation
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 11:23:33 -0000

On Sat, 5 May 2001 03:21:44 -0500, Andrew Chalk wrote:
> I am having a devil of a job getting X to work on TurboLinux v6.0.2 with an
> ATI card. I have installed XFree86 v4.0.2.

Another place to check is http://dri.sourceforge.net/

The Rage 128 seems to work fine.
Do you have the correct driver listed in XF86Config?
Something like:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Rage128"
    Driver      "r128"
    VendorName  "ATI"
    BoardName   "Rage 128 RF"
    VideoRam    32768

The resources page of the DRI site has a sample XF86Config file
you can look at.

Marc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Joystrick with Mandrake 8
Date: 09 May 2001 12:29:31 GMT

On Wed, 09 May 2001 04:07:25 GMT, David Leblond staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>Here is my porblem:  I have a Sidewinder gamepad plugged into my SBLive
>Value.  I have loaded all the modules but still can't get it to work on
>my system.  What am I doing wrong?

"all the modules"?  *Which* modules, eh?  We cannot read your computer's
mind; post the output of "lsmod".

>My joystick is at (according to windows) 0x200-0x207 Oh I am using
>kernel 2.4.4

You need to load the emu10k1 module and give it the necessary options
for joystick support, then modprobe the joydev, ns558, and sidewinder
modules.  You should also ls -l /dev/js0 ; it should be a symlink to
/dev/input/js0 , which should be a character device with major #13 and
minor# 0.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux recognizes scsi card but not disk
Date: 9 May 2001 13:05:49 GMT

Rahul Dhesi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> After installing the scsi card, Redhat's hardware detection facility
> pops up a message (at boot time) identifying the card type, and gives me
> the choice to configure it or not;  I say yes;  it continues with
> the boot.

> Later on I see a message like this in /var/log/messages:

>   May  7 08:52:44 linux04 kudzu: aliased scsi_hostadapter as ncr53c8xx
>   May  7 08:52:44 linux04 kudzu:  succeeded

Bah, kudzu.  I always turn that off and do it by hand.  I hate auto-detect.

But those aren't the messages I'm looking for.  You need to look
for log lines starting with 'ncr53c8xx' -- those are the messages printed
out by the driver when it loads (if it does load -- check the output of
'lsmod' to see if it's loaded).  Those should list devices attached to
the host adapter.  Alternatively, if the driver supports it, they may
be listed in /proc/scsi/ncr53c8xx/0 or something similar.

> I downloaded and installed a program called 'scsiadd' that allows scsi
> devices to be added and removed without booting.  I can use 'scsiadd -s'
> and it will indicate that the scsi host adaptor is present, and then it
> scans a large number of units and concludes by saying that no devices
> were found.

That program is for adding devices that were not powered at boot time
to a SCSI chain.  Since your hard drive should be powered up at boot,
it's not necessary.

> Since Redhat's hardware detection software is already detecting the card
> at boot time, and allegedly configuring it, do I really need to take
> additional steps to load a driver for it?

If the driver is being loaded, then no.  But you *do* need to take
additional steps to actually use the hard drive -- you need to partition
and format it.  You knew that, right?  If this is your only SCSI disk, this
is what you need to do:

fdisk /dev/sda
(create a new primary partition, write the partition table, and exit fdisk)
mkfs -t ext2 /dev/sda1
mount -t ext2 /dev/sda1 /mnt/newdisk

substituting your preferred mount point for that last bit, of course.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tape drive installation problem
Date: 9 May 2001 13:11:39 GMT

Nick Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am having problems installing a tape drive to my Linux Red Hat 6.2 server.
> When I boot the machine I see:

>   Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: DAT    04106-XXX  Rev: 735B
>   Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02

> But when the system boots I get the following when I try to access the file:

> mt -f /dev/st0 status
> /dev/st0: No such device

I'm assuming that's a SCSI drive?  Is the 'st' module loaded (RH6.2 should
load it automagically)?  Check the output of 'lsmod' as well as the contents
of /var/log/dmesg.  Does the device file exist?  'ls -l /dev/*st?'

If the device file doesn't exist, look up the documentation on the
/dev/MAKEDEV script.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (KegBot)
Subject: Fire GL 4000
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 13:12:01 GMT

Does anyone make an X server for the Diamond Fire GL4000 card, commercial
or otherwise?  I tried searching the web and even looked at XIG's page.
Couldn't find anything relevant.  I'd like to use this card if possible!

Thanks,
Kegger

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat 7.1 install with GeForce Ultra 2 DDR (64Meg)
Date: 9 May 2001 13:13:20 GMT

Bruce Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Installing RedHat 7.1 with a nVidia GeFOrce Ultra 2 DDR - AGP

>  Well I am having problems with the booting
>  and installation from the install CDs.

>  Hardware config includes a nVidia GeForce Ultra 2 (64Meg)
>  AGP [DDR] card and booting is fine selecting country code
>  and keyboard and mouse, and once X starts up and the RedHat
>  logo pages is shown the installation stalls and that's it.

>  The SAME hardware, but with the TNT2-32Meg AGP card proceeds
>  fine and installation runs fine...

>  Any clues out there to get passed this problem.

Have you tried doing a text install, and dealing with X when the
system is up and running?  I do that as a matter of routine -- less
stuff to go wrong.

From: "Ed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Will this system support linux?
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 08:20:15 -0500

Amptron DX-6900 AT style motherboard with 7 16-bit ISA slots.
The processor is an Intel 486 DX-2 66Mhz CPU.
The video card is a Diamond Stealth 32 VLB card with 2MB Video RAM.
The main storage is a 500MB Quantum Fireball TM 1700A 3 1/2" IDE hard drive.
BIOS doesn't see the full 1.7 gig.
Audio is a Reveal SC200 Sound Blaster compatible ISA soundcard.
 Hitachi 8X IDE CD-ROM (model CDR-7930)
The ISA controller card supports the IDE channel, floppy drive channel,
Printer port and two serial ports(1/DB9 and 1/DB25).
US Robotics Sportser 33.6 Data/Fax External Modem.
 There is 24MB of memory.

------------------------------

From: Michael Sabielny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: 4GB RAM Problem...
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 15:35:59 +0200

Hi folks,

recently we got a new computer with these features:
        2 PIII-CPUs
        4 GB ECC-RAM (4 DIMMs)
        Supermicro 370DL3 Mainboard
        OS: SuSE Linux 7.1
        Kernel: SMP-Kernel with Support for more than 4 GB of RAM

Wen encountered a strange effect: when we use only 3 Gigs of the RAM (with
one DIMM removed) the computer behaves absolutely normal and shows its
expected performance.

But if we put the fouth DIMM it gets very slow, e.g. needs the double time
for a numerical matrix decomposition. Even the bootup time increases
dramatically.

We tried various different kernels:
        SuSE precompiled 2.2.18-SMP
        SuSE precompiled 2.4-SMP
        selfcompiled 2.4-SMP-4GB
        selfcompiled 2.4-SMP-64GB

But all kernels have the same behavior! In the moment we put the 4. DIMM to
get the full 4 Gigs we get slow...

Has anybody got some experiance with this kind of problem?

Best regards,

Michael Sabielny
        Technical University of Hamburg-Harburg
        Department of Theoretical Electrical Engineering
        21071 Hamburg
        Germany

------------------------------

From: Garglemonster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 09 May 2001 22:35:28 +0900

    Rahul> I haven't taken any specific steps to include SCSI disk
    Rahul> support in the kernel.  If SCSI disk support were not in
    Rahul> the kernel, would I see a question at boot time asking me
    Rahul> whether or not to configure the scsi card?

well then, go and confirm that the support for scsi disks is compiled
in already.  it's entirely possible to have scsi support without scsi
disk support.  think of all those people out there with say, scsi
scanners but no expensive scsi hard drives.  if it's in there and
things still won't work, let us know.

i don't know that much about the red hat init sequence, but the linux
kernel is not going to tell you to go and configure things.  the
assumption is that you know what you're doing.  that has its good and
bad aspects.

ciao,

Were these parsnips CORRECTLY MARINATED in TACO SAUCE?

------------------------------

From: "Frithiof Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Will this system support linux?
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 15:50:59 +0200

"Ed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9dbgka$j4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Amptron DX-6900 AT style motherboard with 7 16-bit ISA slots.
> The processor is an Intel 486 DX-2 66Mhz CPU

etc..

My answer is: Barely ;-)

At home I run a similar setup, using plain XFree86 (No GNOME or nothing) and
it is usable, but not much fun. I use it most for programming (Python &
PostgresSql) and fetching stock quotes from Yahoo and such.

All the fun Linux apps such as Gimp, anything with media in it, anything USB
etc. will not work - it may "run" but it is not usable.

Will get a new box Real Soon Now (tm) - when the next couple of hardware
vendors go bust. 1 GHz Athlons are selling at USD 900 some places in DK and
prices are still falling ;-))

------------------------------

From: "David Leblond" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 13:57:49 GMT

Module                  Size  Used by
ns558                   3040   0  (unused)
joydev                  6032   0
analog                  7376   0  (unused)
gameport                1840   0  [ns558 analog]
emu10k1                44064   0
tulip                  37216   1  (autoclean)
usb-uhci               22048   0  (unused)
nls_iso8859-1           2864   7  (autoclean)
nls_cp850               3616   6  (autoclean)
visor                   8176   0  (unused)
usbserial              17184   0  [visor]
tvmixer                 3680   0  (autoclean) (unused)
soundcore               4016   5  (autoclean) [emu10k1 tvmixer]
tvaudio                 8272   0  (autoclean) (unused)
msp3400                13360   1  (autoclean)
bttv                   54736   0  (unused)
tuner                   4256   1  (autoclean)
i2c-algo-bit            7264   1  [bttv]
i2c-core               13424   0  [tvmixer tvaudio msp3400 bttv tuner i2c-algo-bit]
videodev                4800   2  [bttv]
ide-scsi                8000   1

Thats my lsmod.   I can't seem to load emu10k1 with joystick support, if
I add the line

option emu10k1 joystick=0x200
or
option emu10k1 joystick=0x207

then emu10k1 won't load.  Any ideas?

------------------------------

From: "Danjo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Serielles Terminal
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 16:33:36 +0200

Hi @ll,

folgendes machbar:

IBM - Terminal ( seriell; Typ 3152 ) an COMx einer Linuxmaschine als
Terminal benutzen ? Wenn ja, wie ?

alsdenn,

Daniel

------------------------------

From: "The Snowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: parallel port programming for linux?
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 14:37:19 GMT

Not sure if this is the right group, but it's more hardware related in
nature than programming.

c++ I know, but directly controlling hardware with it is uncharted territory
to me.  Don't know if this is even possible, though I strongly suspect it
is, and hence my question :P

what I'm looking to do is write a little c++ app that grabs control of the
parallel port and sends signals of my choosing from the parallel port.
basically I need 6 lines that I can control so as to either have some(how
much can I expect?) voltage on them as detected by the device on the other
end of the cable.

reasons for choosing parallel:
1) I need to be able to set some combination of the lines on/off.  ie: lines
1, 3, 4, and 5 on, leaving 2 and 6 off.

2) I'm scrounging parts here :)  therefore the fact that I have a few old
printer cables and no machines with a free serial port influenced the
decision.

being able to sense return values would also be nice, but not strictly
required.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Regards,
Snowman