Linux-Hardware Digest #142, Volume #9             Sat, 9 Jan 99 16:13:49 EST

Contents:
  Problems with Zip Plus Drive (Xuan Mai)
  Re: PLEASE STOP POSTING REPLIES TO ALL MY POSTS !!! (George Dau)
  Are non-Intel CPU's (AMD) o.k. with Redhat? (John Curtis)
  Re: Help!  Immovable Clusters Restrict Space Available for New Partition! (John
Navas)
  Re: PLEASE DON'T REPLY: Re: PLEASE HELP !!! PLEASE HELP !!! ("anarkissed")
  Re: K6-2 300 linux boot failure on PcChips M572 (Eric Sharkey)
  Re: Multi Disks as ONE Disk ("Chris Schuler")
  Re: SEE YA' LATER SUCKERS !!! HAHAHAHA !!! ("Chris Schuler")
  Re: scanner problem: (Steverl)
  RE: AMD (Randy Roberts)
  network card problem (Tao Long)
  Re: Frustrated ESS1868 configuration! (Brian Miller)
  RedHat 5.2 - Modem Issues (AIMSX)
  Re: linux viruses ("Chris Schuler")
  Re: Linux with Non Intel (Ted Staberow)
  Re: linux on DELL PowerEdge 6350 (Masahiko Nakashizu)
  Re: Need for WinModem research? (was: Re: need to take action...) (C. C. McPherson)
  Re: Which CPU to upgrade to? (Bruce Stephens)
  Help........... ("Andre Antunes")
  Re: Epson Stylus Colour 740 problems (Frank Hahn)
  Re: Need advice on what network cards to buy (Bahadir Kiziltan)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Xuan Mai)
Subject: Problems with Zip Plus Drive
Date: 9 Jan 1999 16:25:10 GMT

        Hi!  I am having trouble with Iomega's Zip Plus Drive. I am
running Suse 5.3 kernel 2.0.35.   The drive is connected to the parallel
port.  I recompiled the kernel with modules, scsi and scsi disk support as
directed by the how-to and then downloaded and compiled the Zip Plus
driver.  I then added the line
                insmod imm
to my boot.local file.
        Upon bootup, this is the message I get pertaining to the zip
drive:

        imm: Version 0.18
        imm: Probing port 03bc
        imm: Probing port 0378
        imm:     SPP port present
        imm:     EPP 1.7
        imm: Probing port 0278
        scsi0 : Iomega ZIP Plus drive
        scsi : 1 host.

I tried to mount the zip disk with:
         mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /zip
and get the message:
        mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/sda4 as a block device
       (maybe `insmod driver'?)

        I'm now at a loss...since I followed the how-to basically to a
T...does anyone have any suggestions on what I could be missing?  Thanks!

                                        Xuan Mai

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (George Dau)
Subject: Re: PLEASE STOP POSTING REPLIES TO ALL MY POSTS !!!
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 06:18:01 GMT

"Jürgen Exner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

]Please excuse my ignorance but now I'm a bit confused.
]
]It was my understanding that newsgroups are for asking and offering help and
]for discussions. And if someone posts an article this implies that he
]actually expects other people to reply, either with a suggestion how to
]solve his problem or with a contribution to a discussion.

I didn't understand the original post either.

But not everything is for discussion. We used to have some nice, disc-space
friendly, search-friendly, traditions in some groups. I'd like to see them
considered again.

Basically the idea is:

Post your question.

People e-mail their responses to you only.

You discuss differences between replies with the people privately using e-mail.

IMPORTANT: When you get a solution, you post a summary as a follow-up to your
original request.

Of course, people didn't munge their addresses then either, so replying was
easy.
--
 ,-,_|\  George Dau - Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), Oracle, Internet.   __
/    * \ Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]             ! Views/opinions above need    (00)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Curtis)
Subject: Are non-Intel CPU's (AMD) o.k. with Redhat?
Date: 9 Jan 1999 18:33:54 GMT

        Hi.  I'm a newbie who is thinking of buying a cheap
        (~$500) 266 MHz AMD k6 - based clone.   Is Redhat 5.2
        linux known to run well with non-Intel processor sets?

        I figure I can change video adapters, etc. if need be but the
        CPU had better be acceptable or I am hosed.

        I want a totally non Microsoft machine (many years of Unix
        work experience) that I will decoupage with anti-Gates headlines,
        etc.

        Please echo any replies to [EMAIL PROTECTED], as I am not reading
        the entire newsgroup bandwidth.

        ciao,

        jcurtis

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Navas)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: Help!  Immovable Clusters Restrict Space Available for New Partition!
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 18:57:29 GMT

[POSTED TO comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage]
"Daniel Reeders" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Will Partition
>Magic, if I buy a copy, ignore them or delete them and allow me to create a
>new partition that way?

Yes.

--
Best regards,
John  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/

------------------------------

From: "anarkissed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: PLEASE DON'T REPLY: Re: PLEASE HELP !!! PLEASE HELP !!!
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 06:59:45 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>PLEASE DON'T REPLY !!!

Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply,
Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply,
Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply, Reply,
Reply, Reply, Reply,
You don't have to be a kid to be immature.

------------------------------

From: Eric Sharkey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: K6-2 300 linux boot failure on PcChips M572
Date: 9 Jan 1999 01:55:30 -0500

Mike Delaney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: From what you describe, it sounds like you've got an incompatability between
: the chip and your motherboard. When the K6-2 first came out, quite a few
: people were having similar problems with the early Super Socket-7 boards.

: Most likely, the board/processor combination won't reliably run anything
: more sofisticated than DOS. I'd suggest getting a new board, from the
: list of boards that AMD has tested ( http://www1.amd.com/K6/k6mbl/ )

I just grabbed a hard disk with Windows on it and the thing boots
perfectly into Windows 98.  I've run some fairly CPU/memory intensive
applications, and everything seems to run just fine, but Linux still won't
boot.

Unfortunately, a new mobo is not an option at the moment.  I either make this
chip work in this mobo or I go back to the Intel chip.

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Chris Schuler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Multi Disks as ONE Disk
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 02:20:20 -0600

Also consult the Software-Raid howto

//Chris
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Chris Schuler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SEE YA' LATER SUCKERS !!! HAHAHAHA !!!
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 02:24:27 -0600

what was his problem (other than his mental stability) I missed the issue
hes referring too.....

//Chris

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>FTP INSTALL FINALLY WORKED THANKS TO CROSSBONES !!!
>Well, except for me and Crossbones, all of you are none more than
>f****** idiots. But it's been fun insulting everyone one of you, who
>were against me, in this newsgroup. In fact, when you look at the
>thread(s), it probably reminds you of Jerry Springer. Now I did not ask
>for this, you all forced me into it, so don't even f****** blame me !!!
>Anyway, it was fun fighting like in the Springer shows but I gotta go
>now, so
>GOOD-BYE TO ALL YOU MENTALLY RETARDED IDIOTS OUT THERE WHO CAN'T BE HELPFUL
THE WAY I WANT IT !!!

------------------------------

From: Steverl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: scanner problem:
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 23:54:28 -0600

Rohit Singh wrote:

> looks like you are missing sane package. It must be on your cd
> sane*.rpm. or you can get it from
> http://www.mostang.com/sane

Thank you for responding. I've installed sane from the cd. Three
packages were listed for sane. Sane, Sane-devel, and Sane-libe. All
three are installed but when I attempt to run the program nothing
happens.
thank you.
steverl

------------------------------

From: Randy Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: AMD
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 11:43:17 -0800

"...decoupage with anti-Gates headlines.."  I like it!!.

Here is my set up (it is cheap--as in inexpensive).

CPU: AMD K6-2 300
Top Gun SUPER SOCKET 7 Motherboard.
Video Card: Creative Labs Graphics Blaster Exxtreme.
Linux distribution: Red Hat 5.1

And Linux is running great.  Full X with all supported resolutions and
color depths.  Fast.  Not a single crash, aprox. 2 month continuous
Linux use (I wish I could say the same for WinBloz ... same box ...
numerous crashes and blue screens ... go figure?!?).  The only problem I
have had is with my video card, i.e., Red Hat did not support it, I had
to use find, setup and config the SUSE distribution's XFCom_3DLabs  X
server.  For supported vid cards: http://www.xfree86.org/cardlist.html

------------------------------

From: Tao Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: network card problem
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 01:36:17 -0600

I have some serious problem with my 3Com EtherLink XL (3c900) card.  The
system (kernel 2.1.132) seems to be able to detect it correctly (irq, io,
media type, etc.). But then DHCPCD always fails.  (I did install the new
version of DHCPCD.)  Later I tried to bring up the network card manually
using ifconfig.  But it reports

SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable.

Before this, I thought the driver was fine.  But now I am not sure any
more.

If I boot to old kernel (2.0.36) with old version of dhcpcd, everything
works.

Can anyone lend a hand?  I can provide more detail if needed.

Tao

------------------------------

From: Brian Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Frustrated ESS1868 configuration!
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 14:39:37 +1100

I have an ESS1868 running at home.

Take a look at:

http://www.netspace.net.au/~bmiller/linux/ess1868.html

Hope this helps,

Brian
--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Brian Miller                                 Telstra

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (AIMSX)
Subject: RedHat 5.2 - Modem Issues
Date: 9 Jan 1999 08:32:12 GMT

I am using RH 5.2 on my Compaq Presario, and I was wondering if anyone has had
any problems using the Compaq Presario K56-DF modem?  If anyone could e-mail me
with information on compatibility issues, I would be very grateful.

------------------------------

From: "Chris Schuler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux viruses
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 02:34:21 -0600

its virii

//Chris
news:V9Sj2.1837$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 02:07:23 -0600
From: Ted Staberow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux with Non Intel

Hello Captain,

    My main Linux box has been and still is a 200 MHz Cyrix 686 with 96
megs of RAM.  This box has been through 5 different Red Hat releases
with nary a problem.

Ted Staberow
Prairie Networking, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Masahiko Nakashizu)
Subject: Re: linux on DELL PowerEdge 6350
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 18:21:46 GMT

In article <7756u4$fsi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> What happens when autoprobe stuff is turned on and the aic7xxx is not
set?

The machine freezes.
The monitor displays only black --- video signal is off.
You can not do anything without power-off, on PowerEdge 6350.

When I use a DELL Precision 410 (with a AIC7890 on motherboard), I can
install Red Hat 5.2 without the module option.
But DELL PowerEdge 6350 needs it.

> Is this the old solution to the 2940 problem or the currently accepted
> solution till the problem can be fixed? Is the autoprobe problem
> due to the Scsi BIOS provided by the adaptor vendor? What is considered
> the Scsi BIOS version to have that will linux work?

This may be the solution to certain motherboards with AIC7xxx
controller(s).

In the file, linux/drivers/scsi/README.aic7xxx;

    "aic7xxx=no_probe" - This option will disable the probing for any VLB
        based 2842 controllers and any EISA based controllers.  This is
        needed on certain newer motherboards where the normal EISA I/O
ranges
        have been claimed by other PCI devices.  Probing on those
machines
        will often result in the machine crashing or spontaneously
rebooting
        during startup.  Examples of machines that need this are the
        Dell PowerEdge 6300 machines.

> Thanks for the info on this since currently I can't get Linux
> to boot.

What is your machine ?
What is your SCSI adapter ?
If you write those infomation, there could be some answers.

Now, I found the other way to install and boot linux (Red Hat 5.2) on
PowerEdge 6350.
Disable SCSI host adaptor BIOS, and try install.
If you successed to install, make boot-floppy, and boot from it.

--
Masahiko Nakashizu

Imaging Systems Division
B.U.G.,Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C. C. McPherson)
Subject: Re: Need for WinModem research? (was: Re: need to take action...)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 14:30:23 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> David Fox wrote:
> >
> > d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox) writes:

> > > Maybe a really big offer at http://visar.csustan.edu/bazaar/ would
> > > help.  Like $10K or $20K.
> >
> > I'm willing to put up $500 for a freely available Linux driver for
> > some popular Winmodem.  This could be done in cooperation with the
> > manufacturer and distributed in binary-only form.  I'll put up $800
> > for a legal open-source driver.  Not that I want to use it myself, I
> > just want to see the issue go away.  Any other pledges out there?
> > Lets start a fund.
> > --
> > David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
> > UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU
>

> Ill chip in $100 to see it done

It's my impression that you would have to try to duplicate the
telephony API that M$ produced. If you can get the SPECs on the
M$ telephony API, then 90% of the battle is done. Does anyone
know if there is a OPEN spec?

------------------------------

From: Bruce Stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which CPU to upgrade to?
Date: 09 Jan 1999 15:10:02 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Taylor) writes:

> I have a Intel Pentium 90 on a Intel Neptune mb that I bought 3 or 4
> years ago.  I want to upgrade the CPU w/o swapping out the
> motherboard.  Which CPU should I upgrade to?  I am interested in
> hearing about Intel, AMD, and Cyrix (or any others) upgrades.  Also,
> I will be exclusively running Linux 2.0.36 and Linux 2.2 (when it
> comes out).

> Which is the most bang for the buck?

Probably AMD.  You'll need to check the motherboard, though.  What
speeds does it support, and what voltages?  If your motherboard allows
you to use a K6-2, then that's what I'd go for.

If it's a bit too old to support that, then your choices are more
limited.  Indeed, you may be forced to buy one of the special upgrade
things, and it may be that it'll turn out cheaper to buy a new
motherboard and be done with it.  I'd guess you could pick up a
Super-7 motherboard and a 300MHz K6-2 for $150 or so.

------------------------------

From: "Andre Antunes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help...........
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 09:50:50 -0000

Hi everyone,
I'm new with Linux, and started by instaling Red Hat 5.3.
Everything works except for some of my hardware. It is detected by SaX, but
under FVWM I can't put to work/configure.
The hardware is the following:

- Video Highway Extreme  (TV & radio PCI card)
- Zoltrix 33.600 HSP336i  (Winmodem)
- Aztech SC-128 PCI audio card
- Diamond Monster 3d (3DFX card)

If anyone could help configuring these above, it would be excelent, for I
can't work with it so far.
Thanks to all.

--
Andre Antunes

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Hahn)
Subject: Re: Epson Stylus Colour 740 problems
Date: 9 Jan 1999 20:28:00 GMT

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999 16:45:49 -0800, Otaku <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
>
>lp|Epson740:\
>        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/epson:\
>        :mx#0:\
>        :sh:\
>        :lp=/dev/lp1:
>
>As I understand it from the HOW-TO's and man pages this is a basic printer
>set up that uses no filtering, which is essentially what I want. When I
>attempt to send plain ASCII to the printer from Linux it prints one or two
>lines of it in odd font sizes, missing spaces and de-capitalising words that
>it shouldn't, turning apostrophes in to the letter "g", etc. When I try to
>print from the Windows machine using the Epson driver I get a few lines of
>garbage characters, which I assume is the actual commands to the printer,
>and then a form feed and then more garbage, ad nauseum. To verify that the
>printer, cable, parallel port on Linux machine, etc is good I boot from a
>regular DOS floppy disk on the Linux machine, issue the command "COPY
>CONFIG.SYS > PRN:" and everything prints out fine, so I know the parallel
>port is good, the cable is good, and the printer isn't in some weird
>software state (it doesn't have any visible DIP switches that I can fiddle
>with). So everything is good from DOS, I then attached the printer to one of
>the Windows machines and print some graphics and it comes out fine, so
>ruling out everything else, it has to be something up with Linux. I've tried
>Ghostscript 5.50 from the Alladin web site with a sample .PS file using the
>following command string from Michael Holve's web site and I still get
>garbage results:
>
>gs @stc.upp -sOutputFile="|lpr" yourfile.ps -c quit
>
>In the printtool I have tried both "PRINT TEST ASCII TO DEVICE" and "PRINT
>TEST ASCII DIRECTLY TO PORT" (or whatever those two menu options actually
>say) and both print, both produce the same garbage output, it prints
>recognisable text, but there are spaces missing, weird font size changes and
>complete words missing in some places.
>
>I would like to use the printer on the Linux machine as a "raw" printer, so
>that whatever is sent to it from Windows or MacOS will get output and let
>the drivers on those machines do all the hard work.
>
>So any ideas what I'm doing wrong here? I've read over this, and other,
>newsgroups on DejaNews, and the mailing lists that I can find, for answers
>but nobody seems to be having this particular problem. Any thoughts? If I
>can just get the Epson to print out straight text from Linux without any
>weird behaviour I'll be happy for now as that will at least give me a clue
>as to what's going on.
>
>Oh, one more point before I finish, if I use printtool and set the printer
>as a "Postscript Device", even though we know it's not, and then print, the
>Postscript commands that get sent come out as plain text, obviously, but
>they come out perfectly, no font changes, no weird capitalising behaviour,
>just as though it were raw text being sent.

I am not familiar with Redhat and don't know how they set up their
printing.  I use Slackware so take this with a grain of salt.

I don't see exactly how you are getting your printed output from
either your Macs or your Windows machines to the Linux machine.  It
seems to me that you need to install Samba on the Linux machine so
that it looks like a Windows machine.  From there, you can use Samba
to show the Epson on the network so that the Windows machines can
print to it.  You then just use the Epson drivers to generate the
correct output and send this file to Linux to be printed.  Unless
you need to print from Linux to the Epson, you really don't need
Ghostscript installed.  If you want to be able to print from Linux,
you should look into one of the magic filter type programs that can
differentiate between different file type and call the correct filter.

As far as the Macs go, I have no idea.

At home, I have a three computer network.  One is a Sun, one is a 486
running Linux, and one is a Windows 95 machine.  With Samba installed
on the Linux machine, you tell it to use the /etc/printcap file or
set up a printer.  It should then show up in the network neighborhood
on Windows 95 so that it can be used.

--
Frank Hahn

------------------------------

From: Bahadir Kiziltan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need advice on what network cards to buy
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 12:21:58 +0000

Mars wrote:

> I will be buying another computer and want to network my existing one.
> The new box will mainly be running linux (debian 2.0 kernel 2.0.36)
> and the old box will be running win95.
>
> I want to use thinnet network (10base2) because I don't want to buy a
> hub for a 10baseT network.
>
> I will be using the linux box as a gateway/router/proxy for a modem
> connection to my ISP (via ip masqarading (sp?)) and in a not so
> distant future i'll be getting (hopefully) a cable modem connection
> with rogers@home.
>
> Having said that what is a good, cheap or mid priced NIC card that I
> could use with linux with this set up.  Should I go with 3com cards
> (just for the brand name?) or some generic cheapo one.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mars

Hi,

You can link your two machines via cross-over UTP cable(CAT3 or CAT5)
without a HUB. So you dont need to BNC cable.

Im using a card that brand is Surecom EP-325 PCI. Module
driver(ne2k-pci.o) provided by Linux. Also you can built it with kernel
compiling. In fact all cards which have RTL-8029 chip supported by
LINUX.