  Cyrix "Coma bug" (David Kirkpatrick)

From: Andy Glew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,comp.arch.storage,alt.os.linux,comp.periphs
Subject: Re: Same Disk RAID and Mirroring
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 13:39:49 -0600

By the way, folks, wrt to my earlier post about single
disk RAID, I should make explicit my interests:

(1) Online storage for personal computers with
    only one, or at most two, disk spindles.
    Typically for PCs that are actively
    used less than 20% of the time (e.g. 20-30 hours
    per week), which may not even be powered up
    at other times.

(2) Archival storage - e.g. Jazz disks sitting on a shelf,
    CD-Rs in ISO filesystem format.  The sort of stuff
    that you save for years, and then try to read back.

    I'd even extend this to tapes, but I'll admit that I have
    never been able to successfully read all of a tape more than
    10 years old.

I.e. storage systems where it is not possible to regularly
scan the data, detect incipient errors, and then correct them.
And, similarly, storage systems where multiple media sets
are either unavailable or undesirable.

Although if anyone has tools
that make reconstructing a single image from two Jazz drive
or tape or CD-R copies of the same data, both
having what appear to be block errors in different places, I'd appreciate
it.  I.e. basically preserving the model of one logical device or storage
item to the human user.

------------------------------

From: kociak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Two keyboards and monitors
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 05:02:41 +0100

Hej !
What you mean, may it works two keyborads and monitros in one pc on
linux. ?
I want use first keyborad with first monitor and second keyboard with
second monitor.
If some one know any thing about this ... thanks for answer.

------------------------------

From: "karlo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 300A@450 linux reboots as it's boots up
Date: 2 Feb 1999 04:08:38 GMT

I have a strange problem?
Windows boots fine @450
but as linux is booting up it just restarts the computer??

what the hell is going on here???
anyone have any clues???

thanks
karlo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Lee)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.os.os2.comm,comp.os.os2.misc
Subject: Re: 3COM sells crippled modems (was  3COM "support" (was: any voice
capable/fax modem software for use in warp4?))
Date: 2 Feb 1999 04:22:27 GMT

In article <36b5d8c4$3$qnivqjrv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>In <794i0k$jvc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 02/01/99
>   at 03:42 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Lee) said:
>
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>>>
>>>Did you shop for an ISP the same way you shop for modems? My ISP
>>>supported X2 right out of the gate.
>
>>Why bother? I wasn't about to dump my ISP just because they choose not to
>>support X2.
>
>Then who are you to bitch about X2 not being available? You choosed not to
>find a better ISP.

What makes you think I had a problem with knowing my ISP did not support X2?
All it meant I knew what modem not to buy...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: New NIC and video chips
Date: 2 Feb 1999 04:24:15 GMT

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999 12:19:20 -0700, Johnnie Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Hi,
>
>While trying to install RedHat 5.2 on a new machine I have ran into two
>devices
>that are not currently recognized.
>
>The first is a new S3 video chip.  It reports as an S3 but the sub type
>code
>is a new one of 0x8904.  It installs find but the Xserver does not
>recognize it.
>
>The second is the ethernet controler the message I get is:
>
>Bus 0, device 9, function 0:
>Ethernet controller: VIA technologies unknown device (rev.6).
>Vendor id=1106.  Device IO=3043
>Medium devsel.  IRQ 11.  Master capable.  Latency =32 Min Gnt =118. Max
>Lat
>=152
>I/O at OxcOOO.
>Non-prefetchable 32 Bit memory at OxeOOOOOOO

I think thats VIA ?Rhino? chipset which is supported. Go to Donald
Becker's site and look for drivers.

--
Michal Sabala aka Saahbs
 Linux'er since 0.97 :)

http://fly.to/saahbs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Hard Drive install for Red Hat 5.2 won't WORK!!!
Date: 2 Feb 1999 04:20:38 GMT

The problem is not RedHat per say but the directory you specify.
I know that the docs are unclear put thats not a reason for giving
up.

Are you sure that you have the following directory structure on
your PCs?

RedHat
|-- RPMS
|-- base
`-- instimage
    |-- lib
    `-- usr
        |-- bin
        `-- etc

Do you have files in base? all of them?

And finally the basic question. Is the filesystem you have the source
on vfat or fat?

Good Luck.

PS I did Slackware, wierd ass 1.0 kernel mini distros, RH 4.x-5.x
(network, cd, hd) and multiple homebrewed distributions and I can
honestly say that I don't see how this couldn't be a oversight on
your part :)

--
Michal Sabala aka Saahbs
 Linux'er since 0.97 :)

http://fly.to/saahbs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Brush)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.os.os2.comm,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
capable/fax modem software for use in warp4?))
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 18:48:22 -0500

**"We don't make internal modems for legacy systems any longer. All of
**our internal products are of the Winmodem type.

And people went nuts when I advocated ditching USR as a viable product
source :-)

>From where I sit, M$ is eroding. Not to say they will die :) but there
are alternatives that are making headway, and frankly even OS/2 isn't
going anywhere for a while, so USR is pretty much cutting their own
throats. They are building a 'campus' in Redmond right there with
billy boy to build proprietary stuff like windmodem, all the while
knowing that M$ market share is going to go down. They will have
nothing to offer anyone else.

Dell, Gateway and a mess of others are moving towards actually giving
us choices, so they will not be putting winmodems in too may Linux, or
maybe OS/2 machines.

I wonder if its USR or 3Com that is driving drunk?

John

///////////////////////////////////
Government of The People
By Thy People, and
For The People
Has perished from this earth
Who is gonna tell Mr. Lincoln?
////////////////////////////////////

------------------------------

From: Grant Leslie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 00:48:06 -0400

I noticed that the vfat filename capitalization seemed to matter to
Redhat install.. try renaming them under Win9x ( if you have access ) to
the proper capitilization

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: SCSI DAT and backup
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 05:00:02 GMT

J. P. ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Dave Edick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >
: >The GNU tar that all Linux distributions ship with can do this.  You
: >might need a changer utility to change tapes, though.  I use MTX for
: >this.  You can find it at ftp.dandelion.com.
:
: If the GNU tar can do multi-volume tar then what is this changer utility
: for?  Doesn't "multi-volume" mean changing cartridges?

"multi-volume" means that the utility can detect the end of a tape, finish
writing to it and upon the presentation of a subsequent tape, continue writing
to it.

Generally, these utilities work by either repeatedly polling the device
looking for new media, or prompting the user for one.

Some media changers, on the unload a tape will automatically load the next
tape in sequence.  However, they make no guarantee that the next tape is the
one you want.

        Stu

comp.os.os2.comm,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.os2.setup.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 20:40:16 -0800
capable/fax modem software for use in warp4?))

In <hizdnkFxi9dw-pn2-C4DkdDHdswRq@localhost>, on 02/01/99
   at 11:47 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Varela) said:

>I have a Model 5687, which is what your box said you were going to get,
>and it  is not a Winmodem.  In the posting that started this thread, I
>quoted from 3COM  on-line support as follows:
>>00568700  This is our U.S. Robotics 56k Fax Internal modem.

>>Besides the winmodem, the 00568702 modem is the only model without jumpers.

>>The 00568702 modem cannot be hard set by using jumpers and shunts.  These
>>modems were designed to function in plug and play operating systems not
>>legacy systems. Please do not attempt any alterations of this device.

I just bought a 3com usr #5687, a continuation of the Sportster series but
not labelled as such.  I found out the hard way that an attempt to add
jumpers does not work (heh, heh).  3com support offers no help for their
OS/2 customers, although they could quite easily with a simple info text
file. However I knew this was a complete hardware modem so it should be
workable. After some detective work, here is what I found: The modem does
it's plug & play at boot up, but remember that ISA cards are not true plug
& play. They use a little software routine to finish the job. On the CD
that comes with the modem there is a DOS routine called USRPNP.EXE. I
copied this to my hard drive, set up a DOS window in the OS/2 Startup
folder, set path name to the USRPNP.EXE and parameters to /b /q
USR3031=02F8,3 /r. When OS/2 starts, the DOS routine runs and my OS/2
applications pick up the modem at COM2 sweet as you please. (Use 03F8,4 if
you want COM1 - standard address and irq.) Shame on 3com for being so
beholden to Windows and making good customers work to find these things
out for ourselves. Anyhow I can now share this with everyone else.

Michael Marchant

From: Craig Lucas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cant get NIC to work aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 05:11:59 GMT

Can't get any of my NICs to work, don't know if configuration is wrong
or if I am using the wrong module for it/them.
NICs:
SMC 8013 I/O=0x300 IRQ=10
Intel EtherExpress 8/16 I/O=0x300 IRQ=5

Tried different modules in Kernel Configuator:
 eexpress.o
 tulip
 smc-ultra

got a cable modem and a Dell 486/33 with no PCI slots.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Woon Lim Cheng)
Date: 2 Feb 1999 02:36:02 GMT

Hi,
        Same thing happened in our lab. We have two new PCs here. And one
of my friend was trying to install RedHat 5.2 on one of the PC, but after
three days of trying, he still can't get RedHat running...Another friend
just used two hours to get the Slackware 3.6 running with network,
everything run perfectly fine...

        Maybe you should give slackware a try...Believe me it is not that
difficult to install slackware. You can also visit www.slackware.com for
more information.

--

with regards,
Lim Cheng

From: Sam Hostetter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Canon C5000 driver
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 22:13:02 -0500

For all those out there looking for a driver for the Canon Multipass
C5000, here is the response I got from Canon when I asked them:

Begin Inclusion

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:01:52 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re:MultiPASS - MULTIPASS C5000

*********** Your inquiry as follows: ***********
I would like to use my MultiPASS C5000 in the Linux operating
environment.
I looked at the User's manual, but it doesn't give any information
regarding the
 internal specifications of the device which would be necessary for
writing a dr
iver.
 Does Canon have a Linux driver for the C5000?  Is there one in the
works?  I wo
uld be happy with being able to just print at this point in time.  The
other fea
tures aren't used as much.
 Any help you can give me on this would be appreciated. I would even go
so far a
s to request internal specifications and pin-outs to try and write my
own driver
 if one is not available.
 Thank you, Sam Hostetter
*********** CCSI response as follows: ***********
Sam,

Thank you for your inquiry.

There is no support for Linux at this time.

I have no information regarding this OS or driver availability for it.

Best Regards,
Brooks
Canon Computer Systems, Inc.

End Inclusion

I believe if there is enough inquiry into this, we may be able to
convice Canon to develop a driver or at least release enough printer
specification to allow us to write the driver.

If you wish to add your voice, use the following link:
        http://www.ccsi.canon.com/techsupport/emailsupport/index.html

Sam Hostetter (Parnasus)

------------------------------

From: MRoman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Compiling error with Soundblaster AWE32
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 21:23:46 -0600

I'm no guru, but I may be able to help...

when you run 'make menuconfig' for the kernel, the sound section (where
you choose which api/chipsets to support) has a _further_ subsection
called 'additional low level drivers', go in there...

In the additional lowlevel drivers subsection, there's a toggle on whether
or not to install additional lowlevel audio driver support, toggle that to
yes, save your config and recompile.

Hope I helped some.... there maybe additional settings there for your
card, Good Luck!

------------------------------

From: David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cyrix "Coma bug"
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 22:35:19 +0000

  I have been experiencing hangs where my machine is frozen and I
can't telnet in from another machine.  Can only reboot to got
going again.  I just found out about this
Coma bug as described at:

http://gwyn.tux.org/~balsa/linux/cyrix/index.html
Anyone familiar with this?  Have your tried the fix and if so
what was the result?