Linux-Hardware Digest #800, Volume #9            Sun, 21 Mar 99 17:13:38 EST

Contents:
  UDMA Seagate Medallist and RedHat installation problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  PcChips M596 (David Eyre)
  Re: Which processor (Phil Brutsche)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (Hartmann
Schaffer)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) ("Osvaldo
Pinali Doederlein")
  Viper & SCSI problems ("Jagermy$ter")
  Re: bt848-handle (Tobias)
  maxi gamer phoenix ("news")
  Which processor ("Howard W. Celnik")
  Re: Playing sound files just get noise? (Erik de Castro Lopo)
  Cannot get CD-ROM to be seen by Red Hat 5.2 at install ("Richard Cook DDS")
  MITA DP-570 Printer (Ted Mielczarek)
  newbie installin soundcard ("Moose Nielsen")
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (jedi)
  Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers (David Fox)
  PCMCIA vs. external modem --- which is better? (Mark Purtill)
  Re: Recommend Fast Ethernet Card ("Paul Bary")
  Re: ATI video card/TV out (Rage Pro) -> big-screen TV and X ("Ryan Jacobson")
  Re: SCSI controller/device advice (Phil Brutsche)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (David Fox)
  Re: PCMCIA vs. external modem --- which is better? (John Thomas)
  Re: USB support under linux ("Iain Bennett")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: UDMA Seagate Medallist and RedHat installation problems
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 20:23:35 GMT

I've been trying to install RedHat 5.2 into an asus p2b bios 1007 with a
Seagate Medallist 6.5 gig disc. First the fdisk destroyed the mbr when
writing the partition information even with UDMA disabled in the bios. Then I
put an older Seagate disc that supports PIO4 as a slave and passed the fdisk
stage, but got mutlipe IO errors and kernel core dumps when decompressing
packages. After all I removed the Medallist and left the PIO4 one and I could
install sucessfully. So the problem is with the UDMA disc.

Did anyone have this problem? Did you find a solution?

Kernel 2.2.x can solve the problem?

Thanks for your help,

CiRO

From: David Eyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PcChips M596
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 20:37:52 +0000

Anyone had experience with setting up a PCChips M596 Motherboard?  This
has onboard sound and video with the video RAM sharing part of the main
memory SDRAM.  I'm having trouble setting up X - get as far as blue
screen of ? - I've looked at the posts re some of the other PCChips
boards but these arre mainly those using dedicated video RAM.  Any
ideas?

------------------------------

From: Phil Brutsche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which processor
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 14:30:59 -0600

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, Howard W. Celnik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm fairly new to Linux. I've been using it for about 3 months now on a
> PowerPC Mac (I'm using LinuxPPC).
>
> I'm pretty happy with this version of Linux, but all the action seems to
> be on the Intel side so I've decided to build my own computer (I'm new
> to this too).
Ok

> Anyway, I've pretty much settled on getting an Asus P2B motherboard, but
> I'm not sure about which processor to get. Is a Pentium II overkill;
> what about an Intel Celeron or a third party processor.
The Asus P2B is an excellent motherboard - I have one, and love it to
death :-).  On the CPU side, you're pretty much stuck with a PII or
Celeron - everything else (the AMD, Cyrix, Rise, and WinChip CPUs) uses
what's called the Super7 socket (it's based on the old Pentium Socket7,
and is backwards compatible).

Personally, what I'm doing is running a Celeron 300A exactly at spec,
(a 66MHz bus and 4.5x muliplier) (it costs $90US here in Omaha, NE, USA),
and plan on upgrading to the 450MHz PII when it gets quite a bit cheaper.
Just make sure you get the PC100 SDRAM.

Phil Brutsche           [EMAIL PROTECTED] | [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Microsoft:  "Where do you want to to today?"
Linux:  "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer)
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 18:49:40 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Steve Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Mark Robinson wrote:
>
>> Where the PDP-11s high end boxes(big servers) when they were
>> released?
>
> High- end, certainly.  Servers?  Hard to say.  "Client- server

Then why were they classed as MINIcomputers?  I think at that time the
where the mainframes.

Hartmann Schaffer
schaffer at netcom dot ca

------------------------------

From: "Osvaldo Pinali Doederlein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 20:23:56 +0100

Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Aside from the quality problem (which Free Software admirably solves)
> there is the vendor lock-in problem (proprietary file formats).  Closed,
> proprietary file formats are the biggest evil in the computer industry
> today and the biggest threat to being able to share freely (or do
> commerce in) information that *you* own.  This is the single greatest
> contributor to the monopoly problem in the computer industry today.  I
> think if we could abolish this one thing, everything would eventually
> start to even out.

Although this is a real problem, the opposite radicalism propagated by free
software advocates means technical mediocrity.  Great, let's have a single
file format for spreadsheets, a single format for text documents, and an
immutable format for web content, and let's see PC software reduced to the
least common denominator standards, and innovation reduced to a crawl.  File
formats are similar to data structures and algorithms; it's not realistic
asking new programs with new ideas to not invent new stuff.  File format
locking will always produce inferior efficiency and loss of any attribute
not supported by the format (look at RTF).

In my opinion, file formats should be fully documented and their use by
anyone should be permitted free of charge, and that's all we need.  If a new
vendor pops in the market and has to decide btw adopting the competition's
formats or writing complex filters, well this is a competitive world, you
can follow or you can fight, but you can't ask the planet to stop spinning
so you can catch up...

------------------------------

From: "Jagermy$ter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Viper & SCSI problems
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 22:02:47 +0100

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to Linux, but hearing so many good things
about Linux, I bought RedHat Linux 5.2 and the Linux powertools. But since
I'm used to work with Win 9x I'm having some difficulties installing Linux.
Here's my system:

Intel Pentium II 350 MMX
ASUS 440BX P2B Series
128 MB PC100 memory
Diamond Viper V550 16MB AGP
Diamond Monster 3D II 12MB VooDoo II PCI
Creative SoundBlaster Live! Player PCI
Adaptec AHA1510 SCSI Host Adapter ISA
Toshiba SCSI CD-rom reader
Tayo Yuden (That's Write) EW/BW 50 SCSI CD read/write
A-Open 40x IDE CD-rom player
Iomega Zip100 SCSI zip-drive
Hewlett-Packard Deskjet 670C printer
Hansol 17" monitor (Horizontal freq. 30-69KHz, Vertical Freq. 50-120Hz, Max.
Res. 1280 x 1024)

Allright, so what are my problems?

- 1st of all, my SCSI adaptor isn't supported by RH 5.2. So that's it? Won't
work? Is there a sollution for this one?
- 2nd problem is the biggest one. How on earth can I get a decent view in X
Windows? My graphics card isn't supported, so I tried to configure it
manualy. But the only view I can manage to work, is 16 color, 640x480. And
most of all, everyting on the screen is way to big!
- 3d problem: Is there a good CD-burning program for Linux?

Hope to hear soon from anybody, please e-mail at:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanx!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tobias)
Subject: Re: bt848-handle
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 20:57:32 GMT

On Fri, 05 Mar 1999 13:28:17 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
>possible to do it on Windows: you put a purple window in front of your TV
>window with paintbrush for instance, and then you can see TV trough the
>painbrush window. I try do do under linux but I guess the driver has not been
>written in the same way. If anybody has information about it, thanks for your
>answer? William.

The trick with the purple (or so) color works only for 'overlay'. Then
the BT8x8 will write the picture-data directly in the graphics memory
- via DMA.

But if the linux-driver will use e.g. bitBLT (software-copy of this
area) then it won't work in this way. You have to develop an
overlay-enabled display driver first....

Tobias
Tobias Schirmer
==========================
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (note: replace nospam with foni)
Germany, Aachen
- if possible, stay some days in DRESDEN -

------------------------------

From: "news" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: maxi gamer phoenix
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:58:38 +0100

Do you know if my graphic card (maxi gamer phoenix) can be accept by linux
rehat.
If not, do I must change it ?

From: "Howard W. Celnik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Which processor
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 11:36:35 -0800

I'm fairly new to Linux. I've been using it for about 3 months now on a
PowerPC Mac (I'm using LinuxPPC).

I'm pretty happy with this version of Linux, but all the action seems to
be on the Intel side so I've decided to build my own computer (I'm new
to this too).

Anyway, I've pretty much settled on getting an Asus P2B motherboard, but
I'm not sure about which processor to get. Is a Pentium II overkill;
what about an Intel Celeron or a third party processor.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Howard

------------------------------

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Playing sound files just get noise?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 06:36:56 +1100

Halojn wrote:

> Just woundering .. What does wavplay do ?? :)

Wavplay reads the header of the WAV file which contains the
sample rate, bit width (8 or 16 say) and the number of channels.
It then sets up /dev/dsp to suit the file and writes the audio
data to /dev/dsp.

Erik
     Erik de Castro Lopo     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Remember that the P in Perl stands for Practical.  The P in Python
 doesn't seem to stand for anything."
        --Randal Schwartz in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Richard Cook DDS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cannot get CD-ROM to be seen by Red Hat 5.2 at install
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 10:08:14 -0900

I have a Sony CDU-33A CD-ROM which is supposed to be supported during
install.  I have tried to get the set up program from disk to recognize the
CD-ROM but it just has not worked.  I have read the FAQs that said that is
handled the same as CDU-31A but even by entering the CDU-31A as the choice,
the setup still does not recognize it.  Since it is supposed to be covered I
can imagine that there is some one simple thing to do that will fix it but
since I have never installed Linux before....I cannot find it.

BTW the CD-ROM is usable in Windows 98 but not when I boot directly to DOS.
I cannot get the CD to be the boot drive even when the bios places it first.

Thanks for your patients with a new - hopefully - Linux user.  If I can get
the system up.

Rick Cook [EMAIL PROTECTED]   remove the nospam.

------------------------------

From: Ted Mielczarek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MITA DP-570 Printer
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 15:41:35 +0000

Has anyone ever had any success making this printer work under linux?
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Ted
----
Ted Mielczarek   -   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lehigh University-   AOL IM: luserSPAZ
Class of 2001    -   ICQ: 249279
UC Box E470      -   luser @ Efnet IRC
Trembley Park 4  -   * YOUR AD HERE *
x81908           -   *   $5 / DAY   *

------------------------------

From: "Moose Nielsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: newbie installin soundcard
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 16:12:47 -0500

Hi everyone:
Could someone please send me instructions in newbie terms on how to get a
soundcard in Linux. I just installed linux yesterday and am very very new to
it, so new that i dont know what half the words are evryone is talkin
about<foregn language to me) but i am willing to try cause i am gettin to
hate MSWindows. If you can email the instructions it would be helpfull.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 12:50:32 -0800

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999 20:23:56 +0100, Osvaldo Pinali Doederlein
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Aside from the quality problem (which Free Software admirably solves)
>> there is the vendor lock-in problem (proprietary file formats).  Closed,
>> proprietary file formats are the biggest evil in the computer industry
>> today and the biggest threat to being able to share freely (or do
>> commerce in) information that *you* own.  This is the single greatest
>> contributor to the monopoly problem in the computer industry today.  I
>> think if we could abolish this one thing, everything would eventually
>> start to even out.
>
>Although this is a real problem, the opposite radicalism propagated by free
>software advocates means technical mediocrity.  Great, let's have a single
>file format for spreadsheets, a single format for text documents, and an
>immutable format for web content, and let's see PC software reduced to the
>least common denominator standards, and innovation reduced to a crawl.  File

        Except that has happenen already. It's just that only
        on corporation really truely benefits from that imposed
        standard.

>formats are similar to data structures and algorithms; it's not realistic
>asking new programs with new ideas to not invent new stuff.  File format
>locking will always produce inferior efficiency and loss of any attribute
>not supported by the format (look at RTF).
>
>In my opinion, file formats should be fully documented and their use by
>anyone should be permitted free of charge, and that's all we need.  If a new

        ...which fits in rather nicely with the concept of
        freely reusable source code...

        and conflicts with the current model of imposed proprietary
        standards.

>vendor pops in the market and has to decide btw adopting the competition's
>formats or writing complex filters, well this is a competitive world, you
>can follow or you can fight, but you can't ask the planet to stop spinning
>so you can catch up...

        The planet hasn't spun much in quite some time, actually. That's
        the real problem. Despite the lack of spinning, people are still
        being forced to pay for constant upgrades as though it were. We're
        all paying for 'innovation' but not really getting it.

--

  "I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die     |||
   while you discuss this a invasion in committe."        / | \

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers
Date: 21 Mar 1999 13:23:19 -0800

ken brakey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > The number of people in this world makes it almost impossable to pick
> > any person out just for the fun of it, the goverment is like a sleeping
> > dragon. Unless one is fool enough to wake to ones existance there is little
> > need to worry about it even caring you exist. Life is masured by thoes
> > around you not thoes that never knew you...
> >
> >     Sorry, just my 2 cents worth, and it is not even worth that much. :)
>
> TELL THAT TO KAREN SILKWOOD!

Well said, thank you.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: Mark Purtill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PCMCIA vs. external modem --- which is better?
Date: 21 Mar 1999 13:18:53 -0800

        I've got a AcerNote Light Multimedia model 382 laptop computer
which I'd like to connect to get a modem for.  I'm wondering if
there's any advantage to a PCMCIA modem compared to an external modem
other than size (which doen't matter much since I'd be only using the
modem when at home).  There are a couple of disadvantages: there seems
to be a bigger chance of getting burned with a PCMCIA winmodem than an
external, and PCMCIA modems seem pricier.  So, is there any reason for
me to go with a PCMCIA modem over the external?

        Reply to me, I'll summarize to the newgroup.
--
^.-.^ Mark Purtill  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> or (253)964-6747
((")) Pierce College, 9401 Farwest Dr SW, Lakewood WA 98498

------------------------------

From: "Paul Bary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recommend Fast Ethernet Card
Date: 21 Mar 1999 21:38:45 GMT

On the high end Ive had good luck with Intel and 3Com PCI boards. On the Low
end I've had good luck
with LinkSys PCI boards...the LinkSys web site has particulars on Linux
compatibility...as I recall,
virtually all their boards are compatible...some with Tulip and some with NE
PCI ...the EtherLan II cards
I've used performed flawlessly and were picked up on autoprobe making life
oh so easy..<G>

Paul

------------------------------

From: "Ryan Jacobson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: ATI video card/TV out (Rage Pro) -> big-screen TV and X
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 15:38:51 -0600

I had the problem with a All in Wonder.
What I had to do was disconnect the cable going to the television.  I
rebooted and this solved my prob.  I still can not use linux with the TV
connected!!  GOOD LUCK!!

RYAN

------------------------------

From: Phil Brutsche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI controller/device advice
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 14:22:16 -0600

On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, Dave wrote:

> I'm thinking of buying some SCSI equipment, and was hoping for some
> opinions or suggestions.
>
> Currently I'm looking at the following, so I'm especially looking for any
> gotcha's or experiences with them. I'll probably be using a 2.2 kernel.
> (Are there any issues with getting the full potential out of Ultra2?)
>
> - Adaptec 2940U2W controller
> - Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB drives
>
> I'm open to other's however, so if you have a favorite, please let me
> know.
On the controller side, I would recommend a ncr53c895-based unit - the
Asus PCI-SC895 is an example.  It works every bit as well as the Adaptec
2940U2W, and would probably cost you quite a bit less.

On the HD side, I've heard that IBM makes excellent units.

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 21 Mar 1999 13:26:31 -0800

rocky@ro writes:

> In article <7d1svu$1m4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Wayne says...
> >

> >Why people always care open or not open?
>
> People reallly care about quality more than anything.
>
> How many of us users look at the Linux source code? I bet less than 1% of
> 1% look at the source code. most of us want good applications to use and
> we are happy.

That's exactly the point -- with open source, 1% of 1% of the users
is a fairly large number of people checking over the code and making
sure it works properly.  In science its called "peer review".

From: John Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCMCIA vs. external modem --- which is better?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 22:11:30 GMT

Generally, the PCMCIA modems aren't as fast as their full size
counterparts. If you are only going to use it at home, go buy a Courier
v.everything and enjoy.

From: "Iain Bennett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: USB support under linux
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 17:13:44 -0500

> USB is way too slow for CDROM. My current CDROM is
> supposed to have a burst rate an order of magnitude
> faster than USB.

Are you mad?  CDRom drives don't send data at megabits per second!