  Re: Iomega Zip ppa init_module problem after suspend/resume (Brandon)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kelly Ann Smith)
Crossposted-To:
linux.dev.sound,comp.os.linux.misc,linux.dev.laptop,linux.dev.newbie,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.portable,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Sound card: hardware or software problem?
Date: 22 May 1999 21:28:55 GMT

I was just trying to configure my soundcard under linux, and I
had a weird problem.

I ran sndconfig (after I found out what irq's etc to use).  There were
lots of io addresses to set: mss_io and mpu_io, and I wasn't exactly
sure which these were supposed to correspond to, since there were quite
a few listed when I checked this under Windows.

I ended up using 0x530 for mss_io and 0x330 for mpu_io, since I had
seen somebody use these settings for configuring the same machine as
I have.  (They had this info on a web page.)

But when the sndconfig program asked me if I could hear the sound, I
heard this loud high tone.  I figured that was the sound, but of
course it wasn't.  The sound only went away when I turned the machine
off (not even shutdown -r would turn it off).  I rebooted into
Windows, and I could hear the same incredibly annoying sound when the
volume was turned all the way up, but not when it was at medium or low
level.

I checked the Linux settings again; I'm not sure which setting my io
(not my mss_io or mpu_io, but just my io) should be at; I wasn't
given a choice by sndconfig, and my resulting setting (after looking
at the /etc/conf.modules file) was 0x370; the web page I looked at
had 0x220 for this value.

I tried checking the sound system (in Linux) by cat-ing a file to
/dev/audio.  I can hear the sound, but it's REALLY quiet.

I even edited the /etc/conf.modules file and tried out both 0x370 and
0x220 for the 'io' parameter, and I still can't hear much.

In Windows, I can hear sound perfectly (as a reasonable volume) except
I also hear the high feedback-y like tone when my volume is turned up high.

So my current situation is that I'm not sure if the sound works under
Linux, since it's VERY hard to hear something as quiet as this.

Windows sound seems to work, except for the feedback at high volumes.

Some relevant stats:  I have a dual-boot (win98, redhat 5.2),
laptop (Gateway 9100).  The soundcard is listed in sndconfig, and
it's a Yamaha OPL3SAx.

My current /etc/conf.modules file is:

alias sound opl3sa2
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options opl3sa2 io=0x370 mss_io-0x530 irq=9 dma=0,1 mpu_io-0x330

I'm not sure if I blew my soundcard or if this is purely a software
problem; I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Kelly

------------------------------

From: Martijn Valkier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: CDRecord problems?
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 23:27:23 +0200

Hi there,

Can some help me out with the following problem?

When I trie to record a audio cd with cdrecord (version 1.6.1 / Kernel
SuSe-6.1 2.2.5)
with the following commandline:

cdrecord dev=6,0 speed=4 -audio -nofix [audio file]

it records an audio cd but skips about 3 to 4 minutes when it starts
writing the data to the cd, the cd therefore isn't readable in ANY
audio cd player.

The problem isn't the audio file format because i've converted it with
sox
to the right format (got that from HOWTO's and FAQ's).
This really puzzles me because creating a data cd is no problem at all.

My cdwriter is Yamaha CDR400t (firmware rev. i) on a Adaptec 2920 (Aka
fdomain tmc controller)
on the same controller are a zipdrive (int.) and a teac cdrom player.
This has never been a problem when I was using Windows9x.

--
Bye,

Martijn ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.multiweb.nl/~joker

------------------------------

From: "Toni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WordPerfect for Linux and Epson Stylus 400
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 23:34:19 +0200

I want to install my printer Epson Stylus Color 400 in order to work with
WordPerfect 8 for Linux. Which are the steps I must follow?

Thanks

Toni

------------------------------

From: Dirk Groot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ethernetcard NE2000
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 00:08:26 +0200

eelco of viola wrote:

> hello there,
>
> As I am new to linux and ethernetcards i`ve been looking at different cards.
> I think its going to be an ne 2000 since it isn`t that expensive. However
> the ethernet-howto says to be careful with clones. Can anyone tel me the
> brand name of an originel NE 2000 (I cant find it annywhere) or other cheap
> cards names that work under linux aswel as windows.
>
>  Anny comment would be greatly appriciated
>
> greets Eelco

My ethernet card is a "Realtek RTL8029 Ethernet Adapter (10 Mbit)". It's
a PCI combicard, that means that you can use both UTP and COAX-cables.
It is functioning perfectly under Linux (RedHat 5.2) and Windows
95/98/NT.

---

Dirk Groot

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Browne)
Subject: Re: How to enable DMA on HX-chipsets???
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 22:31:26 GMT

On Sat, 22 May 1999 13:35:42 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Hello!
>
>Coul'd someone tell me how to activate DMA usage for my Maxtor91000D8?
>I have an HX chipset, and the BIOS is also capable of using (U)DMA as
>well as my drive.

Your BIOS may "recognize" UDMA, but the 430HX doesn't have a
controller for it. You need to add in a UDMA controller card such as
Promise Ultra33 or Ultra66.

Steve
Stephen B. Browne

From: Dirk Groot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 00:11:11 +0200

Hee, ik zie dat je nederlands bent (hccnet.nl)... Deze kaart is in ieder
geval verkrijgbaar bij "the Webstar" (als jullie die hebben)

Dirk Groot wrote:

> eelco of viola wrote:
> >
> > hello there,
> >
> > As I am new to linux and ethernetcards i`ve been looking at different cards.
> > I think its going to be an ne 2000 since it isn`t that expensive. However
> > the ethernet-howto says to be careful with clones. Can anyone tel me the
> > brand name of an originel NE 2000 (I cant find it annywhere) or other cheap
> > cards names that work under linux aswel as windows.
> >
> >  Anny comment would be greatly appriciated
> >
> > greets Eelco
>
> My ethernet card is a "Realtek RTL8029 Ethernet Adapter (10 Mbit)". It's
> a PCI combicard, that means that you can use both UTP and COAX-cables.
> It is functioning perfectly under Linux (RedHat 5.2) and Windows
> 95/98/NT.
>
> ---
>
> Dirk Groot

---

Dirk Groot

Subject: Re: Linux on Channel B of AHA-3940UW?
From: Devin Carraway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 21:54:42 GMT

In article <7i5idv$6ir$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Thelonious Georgia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I just got a new hd that I want to install Linux on, but I have all 6 ids
>set on channel A of my 3940UW card. Will Linux see / understand / install /
>run if I were to put the hd on channel B, where there are no devices?

        I've run an AHA3940UW with kernels from 2.0.33-36 and 2.2.0-2.2.5;
it's always worked perfectly.  The kernel treats the 3940 as two host
adapters; channel A's drives come in first in the /dev/sd[a-z] list, then
channel B's will come in immediately following.  The dual channel aspect is
eally helpful when running flaky drives -- by putting the flaky ones on
a separate channel, SCSI bus resets don't interefere with more important
drives.

Devin
--
Devin  \ usenet(at)devin.com, finger for PGP;  http://www.devin.com
Carraway \ IRC: Requiem  GCS/CC/L s-:--- !a !tv C++++$ ULB+++$ O+@ P L+++

------------------------------

From: "Linux" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 19:00:01 -0400

> As I am new to linux and ethernetcards i`ve been looking at different
cards.
> I think its going to be an ne 2000 since it isn`t that expensive. However
> the ethernet-howto says to be careful with clones. Can anyone tel me the
> brand name of an originel NE 2000 (I cant find it annywhere) or other
cheap
> cards names that work under linux aswel as windows.

I have a Linksys 10 mbit NE2000 compatible ethernet card and it works fine
with linux (ne2k_pci driver).  I also have a couple Linksys 10/100 cards
that work great with Linux (tulip driver).  The 10/100 cards are only $24 US
on buy.com/necx.com.

Eric

------------------------------

From: chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hercules und Linux
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 12:43:44 +0200

Hi

I tried to install linux suse6.1 on my computer. But there exists no
driver for Hercules Terminator 128 GLH. So I tried to install the
Framebuffer device driver! But I could not manage it! So has anyone
experience with this problem! I know that it is possible to run
Terminator with linux by means of FBDev - but I do not know how to
install it right!?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks, Chris!

------------------------------

From: "Eric Harmon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 19:02:45 -0400

> I have a Linksys 10 mbit NE2000 compatible ethernet card and it works fine
> with linux (ne2k_pci driver).  I also have a couple Linksys 10/100 cards
> that work great with Linux (tulip driver).  The 10/100 cards are only $24
US
> on buy.com/necx.com.
>
> Eric

I should have also explained that Linksys has instructions on their web site
for configuring their HW under Linux.  (I haven't needed it so I don't know
how well written and/or informative it is).

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 00:09:25 GMT

On Sat, 22 May 1999 22:31:26 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Browne)
wrote:

>Your BIOS may "recognize" UDMA, but the 430HX doesn't have a
>controller for it. You need to add in a UDMA controller card such as
>Promise Ultra33 or Ultra66.

OK...

but why I can enable/diable the use of DMA in Win*???

I can see difference of CPU load (NT4) when I anable/diasble DMA when
reading ~40 MByte file to RAM:
with    dma: ~10-20 % CPU load
without dma: ~70-80 % CPU load

There is a great difference...

AND:
h2bench reports me up to 14,9 MByte/s (read lin.). Under Linux
hdparm (optimzed to the possible limit) reports 9,7 MByte/s.

Now I'm little bit confused ?!?!?!?  Any idea???

Regards
 Erkan

------------------------------

From: Swietanowski Artur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux on Dual Pentium-II machines
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 13:02:40 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> According to M.V. Ramana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > I am thinking of building a simple dual-processor machine (2 P-II
> > 400Mhz CPUs).
>
> I'd actually recomend running dual Celerons.

Celeron's have SMP (kind of) disabled and have to be modified. For
that you'd probably do best to buy a dual PII board with the Celerons
already modified, an perhaps overcloksed and certified to work.

One place that offers this on the net that I know of is
  http://www.computernerd.com
Overall, incredible price/performance ratio + a half assembled
system. This would probably take care of your other concern (assembling
it yourself).

> > The most challenging task for this machine, if an when built,
> > would be running some serious number crunching (linux) applications
> > from mathematical optimization, computational algebra etc.

Greetings to another number crunching individual!

> > 1) On applications (built say, using gcc) that are not designed with
> > parallel processing in mind, can you get any speed up at all?
>
> Unless they are multi-threaded, no.

The application itself would not bee speeded up, but ... at any given
moment more than one process is running on your PC. I should mention
the kernel and X server as the most prominent ones. Chances are, your
single thread applications will be able to run at full speed (i.e.,
100% single processor utilization) while you will be able to work on
the computer. Another possibility is running more than one instance
at a time, which may or may not make sense, depending on the particular
application.

> > 2) A P-III 500 Mhz machine from Dell with similar specs costs about the
> > same as above, and so, is it worth my time to build the dual processor
> > machine?
>
> I'd recomend benching the fastest Celeron you can find against the
> P-III before plunking down the cash.  The results may surprise you.

Amen.

> > I should also mention that I have never "built" (assembled is a more
> > accurate term, I guess) a PC before.
>
> You may want to enlist the help of someone who has done it before.

Amen to that, as well. I'd recommend considering a company that would
build a PC for you, with you providing the exact list of components.
And, if possible, the company should guarantee that the PC will work
with Linux. This is how I have managed to do (just last week) and
I'm now waiting eagerly for the shipment.

HTH,
Artur Swietanowski                    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Institut für Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
Universität Wien,     Universitätsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

From: Richard & Chiyoko Gueler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem Installing Modem with RedHat 6.0
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 20:03:28 -0400

I am trying to get my ISA PnP modem (Supra 288i Sp) to work with RedHat
Linux 6.0.  The modem worked fine with RedHat 5.1.  I set the IO to
0x03e8 and IRQ to 7 in isapnp.conf.  I made sure there were not
conflicts with other interrupts and io points by checking
/proc/interrupts and /proc/iopoints.  When I run "isapnp isapnp.conf", I
get the following message.

Board 1 has Identity 4f 00 00 5b 9b 40 14 b0 4e:  SUP1440 Serial No
23451 [checksum 4f]
Board 2 has Identity e5 ff ff ff ff 70 00 8c 0e:  CTL0070 Serial No -1
[checksum e5]
isapnp.conf:49 -- Fatal - resource conflict allocating 8 bytes of IO at
3E8 (see isapnp.conf) isapnp.conf:49 -- Fatal - Error occurred executing
request '<IORESCHECK> ' --- further action aborted

Board 1 is my modem.  I tried using other iopoints and IRQ, but I always
get the same error.  I generated isapnp.conf with pnpdump and I am able
to install my sound card with no problems.  The modem is installed on
COM3 under Windows.  Can anyone please help me.  Thanks

------------------------------

From: "John E. Hagensieker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: voodoo2
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 09:47:42 +0900

I have a 12 mg creative voodoo2 card.  Can anyone steer me  towards a good
web site for setting this up under RedHat 5.2.

Also I have RedHat 6.0 on order.  Does 6.0 have native support for the
voodoo cards.

John

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 21:56:16 -0400
From: Herod <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond MX300 in Linux

Has anyone been able to use the Diamond MX300 sound card in Linux? I'm
using Red Hat 6.0. Thanks.

   http://www.newsfeeds.com       The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
======== Over 73,000 Newsgroups = Including  Dedicated  Binaries Servers =======

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Amal Phadke)
Subject: Re: Allied Telesyn NIC drivers?
Date: 23 May 1999 02:55:27 GMT

In article <Ku413.1804$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Wayne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>     I just got a Allied Telesyn 2500 TX pci ethernet card and was wondering
> if anyone has successfully installed it under 2.2.7 or any other kernel. The
> NE200 pci driver doesn't work and the ethernet how-to does not list this
> particular model.
>
> Any help would be appreciated

I have an AT-2400BT PCI card and I use ne2k-pci driver for that. For
AT2500 try rtl8139 driver.

Excerpts from Ethernet-HOWTO:

AT2500

This card uses the RealTek 8139 chip - see the section RealTek 8139.

---
Amal Phadke, Ph.D Candidate
Department of Ocean Engineering, SOEST
University of Hawaii at Manoa

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 3Com 3C900B card support broken
Date: 17 May 1999 11:50:47 GMT

John Petter Reinertsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 1999 07:40:51 GMT, in comp.os.linux.hardware,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>I installed Redhat 6.0 today.  I like the install menus in 5.2 much
>>better.  My 3Com Etherlink 10Mb 3C900B-TPO card works fine under 5.2.
>>However, following the install of 6.0 I can't get the system to
>>recognize the card is in the machine.  Ifconfig certainly does not see
>>it.  I USED THE IDENTICAL NETWORK SETTINGS as with 5.2 yet it does not
>>work.  I finally reinstalled 5.2 and voila!  The card works fine on the
>>network.  I believe the card support under 6.0 is screwed up in some
>>way.  Certainly not worth my time to find out.

> It looks like the card is recognized and installed, but I am not able
> to connect to the DHCP server. Something fails.
> And it worked flawlessly under redhat 5.2.

Check <http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/errata/rh60-errata-general.html> --
this is a documented error and has been addressed by RedHat.

--
====================================
Joshua Baker-LePain

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 22:49:09 -0400
From: Brandon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Iomega Zip ppa init_module problem after suspend/resume

Brandon wrote:

> Steve Varadi wrote:
> >
> > I have a parallel port Iomega Zip drive vith ppa. It is working very well
> > except after suspen/resume ppa busy and not found:
> >  bash-2.02# insmod ppa
> >  Using /lib/modules/2.2.5/scsi/ppa.o
> >  bash-2.02# mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /zip
>
> I have about the same problem except i get a 'sda4 is not a block
> device' error.  ANy ideas what that means?  I had zip working before but
> i've been making additions to my kernel so maybe i accidentally took
> something out of it i need.  I have scsi emulation in and i can install
> the ppa.o module...do i need anything else though?

Actually, I realized i can't install the ppa.o module, it says device or
resource busy and unlike the original poster of this message i get that
error all the time.