  3com Server NIC ("Anson Ng")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rasputin)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Large HD + Linux + Win98
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 16:10:19 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <Jan Fischer> wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I have got the following problem:
>I want to install both Linux (SuSE6.4) and Windows 98 on a new system
>with a 20.5 GB Western-Digital IDE HD. I have already spent some time
>trying, but nothing seems to work.
>
>Obviously Windows and Linux cannot agree on the partitioning of the
>harddisk. I have tried both LBA and NORMAL as BIOS modes for the disk.
>Every time the result was that one of the OSes only recognized 500MB or
>8GB of the disk, or the partitions overlapped.
>
>Thus my questions are:
>- which mode is the right one (LBA, NORMAL or LARGE)
>- which software should be used for the partitioning (DOS fdisk,
>Linux fdisk, cfdisk, yast or WD Data Lifeguard)
>- are there special parameters for the kernel or for fdisk that have to
>be specified
>
>So far I think I have found out that Windows only works with LBA, Linux
>only with NORMAL.

Funnily enough I had exactly the same problem last night.
The symptoms look like there's something wrong with the boot sector;
everything copies onto the drive OK, but DOS won't boot off it.
It was actually fine until I noticed that the primary DOS partition
started about 1.2Gb into the disk and moved it with
Partition Magic (fool).

My fix was going to be to use cfdisk to create a 1.5Gb DOS partition at the
front of the drive, carry on installing Slackware and use lilo to recreate a
usable boot sector. And remember *never* to run "lilo -u".

So if LBA is a problem (and I doubt it is), it affects DOS too....
If I find anything useful, I'll let you know.
--

Rasputin.
Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Linux for raytracing
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Prasanth A. Kumar)
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 16:12:21 GMT

"Stefan Viljoen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi -
>
> A small "poll" type question:
>
> What systems do anybody here run (mem/mhz/proc type/mem speed/bus speed)
> that use their Linux setups for a lot of raytracing / raytracing only?
>
> I am planning to build a system / change my currenty one to mainly render
> with PovRay stuff that I designed in 95 with a scene builder. My currently
> rendering jobs "reliably" crash Win95 about every two days.
<snip>

I don't play much with povray or raytracing but I did setup a beowulf
cluster of 10 pentium 120Mhz systems which somebody saved from the
scrap heap. We ran pvmpov on them as a group and got a 5x improvement
in speed over a single computer. Thus the clustering overhead is 50%
but that is with a non-switched ethernet hub and diskless systems. You
could do much better if you network together fewer better equipped
systems. Ray tracing is one of those tasks ideal for parallel
processing because there is very little communications between the
compute nodes. And as to stability, the jobs wont crash on you under
Linux unless you have flaky hardware or some bug in povray.

--
Prasanth Kumar

From: Felix Natter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: internet and linux
Date: 27 Jul 2000 18:33:36 +0200

matthieu schipman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> hello,
>
> i have a Redhat 6.0 and an Elsa extern modem.When I try to connect, it
> works but I don't recieve any byte from my provider. only once, I had a
> normal connection and I was able to send and recieve mails (with telnet
> but not with Kmail).
> Could anyone help me, please ?

try posting the messages at the end of /var/log/messages
when dialling in. Try posting the output of ifconfig/route once dialled in.

--
Felix Natter

------------------------------

Subject: Java on Netwinder
From: Reijo Hiltunen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:30:39 -0700

Have anyone been successful in running Java on Netwinder
(StrongArm processor, RedHat Linux)?

I have installed jdk118_v1 (from jdk118_v1_12_arm.tgz), but when
trying to execute any of the java binaries, I am getting an
error message: "../green_threads/java: No such file or
directory".  The binaries are there, as well as the shared
libraries.  Also, same version of jdk works fine when installed
in PC (Intel processor).

This is probably a dumb question, but, what am I supposed to do
with the jdk118_v1_12_arm.tgz.md5.gz file?

Thanks,

Reijo

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

------------------------------

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Maxi Studio ISIS (ess/maestro soundcard)
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:51:42 -0700

I have the ESS maestro 2E(ESS1978 at http://linnix.com) on my 6G
portable mp3 player (actually, a Toshiba 2595XDVD laptop).  The driver
should work wth maestro 2 (ESS1968) or 2E (ESS1978).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Token Ring Network card on Linux
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 16:58:51 GMT

I've used older IBM cards and older 3Com ISA cards.

> Only IBM ISA cards that are NOT LAN_Streamers are supported. A very
few other cards will work because they use the IBM
> chipset. The very latest PCI card from IBM is also supposed to work,
but I have not tried them yet. I have TR running
> on a number of Linux PC's, including my laptop, but they all use IBM
brand, older model cards.

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Simon He wrote:
> > From: "Simon He" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Newsgroups:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.
os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
> > Subject: Token Ring Network card  on Linux
> > Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:49:51 +1000
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was trring to setup Red Hat Linux 6.2 on a Token Ring Network,
somehow the
> > token ring card could not be initialized at bootup even after
editing the
> > conf.module file. The error message I'm getting is:
> >
> > localhost insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.14-12/net/ibmtr.o: init_module:
Device or

From: "Edward T. Rewolinski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,apana.lists.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,hk.comp.os.linux,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: help with installing printers
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:32:17 GMT

==============849AB5788ADAE0D92CA36C22

I have a similar problem to WB's except in my case I have two printers: a HPIV
with ps capability and an Epson 640. The HP is in dos at lpt2 and the Epson is at
lpt1. In linux, the HP works ok pumping out postscript print jobs, but the Epson
doesn't. The conf.modules has three ports set up, two of which reflect the dos
settings along with the aliases. If I attempt to print to the Epson, the job just
causes the print queue to pulsate -- nothing is printed, yes, I'm using an
appropriate Ghostscript filter, etc. I'm using Red Hat 6.2; curiously, all this
worked back under 5.1!

Wally Brock wrote:

> Place the following line into your "/etc/conf.modules" file:
>
> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Wally
>
> Eric Wong wrote:
>
> > Help me please......
> >  i've just install RedHat linux 6.0 to act as a server in my office of 8
> > win98pc and 2 Macs, it works fine as a file server. But I hit a brick wall
> > when I tried to install an Epson Laser (EPL-5700L) printer.  I couldn't get
> > it work.  I look at the printtool section and couldn't find my printer on
> > the select list.
> >
> > The Question is how do I install the printer to act as network printer
> > amongs the pcs and the Macs??  Help is very much appreciated..
> >
> > Thanx you in advance
> >
> >  Regards
> >
> >  Eric
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============849AB5788ADAE0D92CA36C22

begin:vcard
n:Rewolinski;Edward
tel;fax:603.971.9550
tel;home:617.350.6078
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
adr:;;P. O. Box 96;Boston;MA;02117-0096;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
fn:Edward Rewolinski
end:vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc
Subject: Re: If Linux, which?  If not Linux, what?  NOT flame-bait!
Date: 27 Jul 2000 17:42:09 GMT

| First, I have a laptop I want to install "Unix" on.  I've installed Linux
| on desktops several times in the past (starting with Ygdrasil), but I have
| the feeling I may have fun with the BackPack parallel port CD-ROM drive.
| So, question 1: which of the modern releases is likely to install easily on
| a laptop with about 0.5GB of disk space, 24MB of RAM, and a parallel port
| CD-ROM drive?

  Since it's small on disk, I'd suggest Slackware. Hell, I would anyway,
but particularly here. And it supports PCMCIA net cards, SL/IP, PPP
serial, and PL/IP parallel. If it were me I'd consider buying a Laplink
cable and doing a network install, rather than the Backpack. However, I
think you can use it, I just haven't played with one. I presume that's
what the parallel IDE device stuff enables.

  Oh, Slackware will still allow you to install from floppy sets, at
least enough to get networking going, or install from parallel port ZIP
drive.

  Hope one of those options helps.

--
  bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
There are those who make things happen, those who watch things happen,

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: confusion about cd-rw setup and use
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 22:28:36 +0200

frogman wrote:
> From the howto: do I need to make devices if I already know which
> devices the cd hardware are on (/dev/sr0 - /dev/sr1)?

Most distributions already have the devices made for you.

> What software do I actually need?  I see that mkiosfs or mkhybrid are
> mentioned in the howto for images.  Do I need one of those if I have
> cdrecord, cdparanoia, and xcdroast?

Xcdroast is a graphical frontend to mkisofs and cdrecord. If you have
downloaded and installed xcdroast it also includes all the programs that
you need.

> If someone can send in a good sample list of software that would
> allow me to write cd's and make mp3's (along with a recommendation of
> what combination to use), I would really appreciate it.

I have no experience of making mp3's, but at work I have used xcdroast,
I think it is version 0.96e and that is a really nice program for
burning and copying CDs.

> I also looked at the setup options for xcdroast, and it made no sense
> to me.

Which options do you have questions about?

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost

From: "Gary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:52:15 +0100

I would recommend using text based yast1.You can create and format all your
partitions from that quite easily. I wouldn't waste time with dos fdisk.
Gary

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: VIA VT82C**** IDE driver
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:45:28 GMT

Hello,
   I have recently installed a 2.2 kernel but when ever I attempt to
switch to udma mode (hdparm -d1) I get unrecoverable harddrive
corruption.  After reading some posts on the kernel mailing list, i've
determined that this is probably due to my mb's chipset, namely VIA
VT82C686A.  I know that there is some talk about a kernel patch, or
perhaps just a new driver, to fix this problem.  Where can I get this
driver and how will I use it.  If any one can point me in the correct
direction i'll be very happy.  I've already looked around on kernel.org,
but im not sure what to make of the files with the (.bz2) extention in
the /pub/linux/kernel/people/hendrick directory.

Thankyou,
   Yeuhi Abe

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: re:max_inode count was exceeded
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:01:00 GMT

 Here's the problem: This machine which is running Redhat 6.1 with
kernel 2.2.14 (with recommended patches for serving NFS), keeps locking
up completely, about once every week or so. It then reqires a hard
powercycle to come back up, and a long disk check.

 We have at times seen a message to the effect that something called
max_inode count was exceeded.  When it comes back up, we get thousands
of messages saying "deleted inode x has zero dtime. Fixed."  It takes
about an hour and a half to go through all four million plus inodes(not
all are broken, but many).

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Dale Khehra

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 27 Jul 2000 18:19:07 GMT

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 16:12:21 GMT, Prasanth A. Kumar wrote:
>"Stefan Viljoen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> What systems do anybody here run (mem/mhz/proc type/mem speed/bus speed)
>> that use their Linux setups for a lot of raytracing / raytracing only?
>> I am planning to build a system / change my currenty one to mainly render
>> with PovRay stuff that I designed in 95 with a scene builder. My currently
>> rendering jobs "reliably" crash Win95 about every two days.
>
>I don't play much with povray or raytracing but I did setup a beowulf
>cluster of 10 pentium 120Mhz systems which somebody saved from the
>scrap heap. We ran pvmpov on them as a group and got a 5x improvement
>in speed over a single computer. Thus the clustering overhead is 50%
>but that is with a non-switched ethernet hub and diskless systems. You
>could do much better if you network together fewer better equipped
>systems. Ray tracing is one of those tasks ideal for parallel
>processing because there is very little communications between the
>compute nodes.

Definitely get something with fast floating-point, and remember that
raytracing is one of the (few) applications where more CPU beats more
RAM (in my experience, anyway--scenes generally rendered 30-40% faster
on a PII-400/64M/WinNT than a K62-400/96M/Linux.)  The Beowulf approach
might work for you, and it'd definitely be cheap if you have some old
boxen and NICs sitting around, but setting it up will be a bit of a
hassle.  Get something with a bloody fast PII (two of them, if you can
afford it!) or a single Athlon if this'll be a single machine.

What did the folks in news:comp.graphics.rendering.raytracing think?

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /   Tyranny is always better organized
http://www.brainbench.com     /    than freedom.
=============================/              ==Charles Peguy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: 8gb and 13gb = problem
Date: 27 Jul 2000 18:24:43 GMT

On 27 Jul 2000 10:58:06 -0400, David C. wrote:
>NecroBurn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> Well i have these to sized drives and well linux is on the 8 and win
>> 98 is on the 13 well i have has the 13 for a while, linux is now my
>> primary hdd and win my second. i type dos to load the win drive and it
>> just freeses there saying loadin dos, but the hdd lights aint moving
>> and no clicks from either hdd is there something i did wrong ?? i just
>> installed linux RH 6.1 today like just a few hours ago
>
>Win9x (and other DOS-derived operating systems) must boot from a primary
>partition on your first hard drive (meaning primary-master if you have
>IDE drives installed.)

Funny, there's a system 15 feet from me with Win95 on /dev/hdb and Linux
on /dev/hda.  LILO is on the MBR of /dev/hda, and booting Win95 is as
simple as typing "dos" at the LILO prompt.  I believe LILO works this
magic by telling the BIOS to swap its designations for /dev/hda and
/dev/hdb, but ICBW.  It *does* work, though--see my message upthread for
details.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: A good IDE
Date: 27 Jul 2000 18:19:53 GMT

In article <8ljhsr$vam$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, cLIeNUX user <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| >If by '+' you mean compile, parse errors and edit, then joe can do that
| >quite easily.
|
| No, I mean
|
|               pico +210 bletch.c
|

| where 210 was the line gcc reported a fatal error on.

  IIRC the 'elvis' vi clone does what you want, assuming that you have a
makefile in the current directory. It runs make and jumps you through
all the files reporting errors. Under X, that is, never tried it any
other way.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (lobotomy)
Subject: Re: MicroModem
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:31:43 GMT

Check www.linmodems.org.  There is a binary-only driver for it, which
actually works (as well as it works under windows anyway...).  The one
you are looking for is from PCtel.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (alex)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:45:22 GMT

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 21:08:25 -0700, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> First, I have a laptop I want to install "Unix" on.  I've installed Linux
>> on desktops several times in the past (starting with Ygdrasil), but I have
>> the feeling I may have fun with the BackPack parallel port CD-ROM drive.
>> So, question 1: which of the modern releases is likely to install easily
>on
>> a laptop with about 0.5GB of disk space, 24MB of RAM, and a parallel port
>> CD-ROM drive?
>>
>> Secondly, about free "Unix"es in general...  I'm a very busy systems and
>> networks consultant.  I want it to work; I frankly don't have the time for
>> a voyage of discovery (and no, I don't indend to pose as a Unix "expert").
>> Maybe some day when I retire...
>>
>> Anyway, one of the thing that bugged me the most about Red Hat the last
>two
>> times I tried it (4.x and 5.x distributions) was the fragmented and
>> incomplete state of the documentation.  I'm no newbie -- I've worked with
>> number of Unix variants over the years.  I am kinda rusty, though; these
>> days, I mostly do non-Unix systems administration.  I have no problem
>> getting down and dirty, but I've got no time to play hide-and-seek with
>the
>> docs.  If it's not in the man pages, it's not in the right place, dammit.
>>
>> I hear Slackware is a favorite of relatively knowledgeable Linux users.
>Is
>> it really any better documentation-wise?
>>
>> And what about the BSDs?  I'm a "BSD" guy from way back in the days of
>> SunOS, and I still think Sun sold out to AT&T on SVR4.  But preferences
>> aside, how do the free BSDs compare with Linux?  I've heard it said that
>if
>> I like Slackware, I'll like BSD...386, I think they said.  I'm not sure
>> about the difference.  I've never installed any of them.  And I don't have
>> the time to try them all.
>>
>> Anyway -- comments?  Please?
>
>Above all else, stay away from Corel Linux.  I doubt it will work on your
>hardware.  If you are a long time unix user then you would dislike that
>distribution.  If you have been a sysadmin on any unix at any time, you
>would just HATE Corel Linux.

True.  If you hated Redhat, you will want to burn the Corel CDs.
However, Slackware could install on your laptop w/o serious problems.
The space might be a little problem but if you've used unix for a
while, you'll know what packages you need and will only install what
is needed.  An older Slack distribution will take up less space.

On the documentation side, there are two places to look.  First, the
man pages are pretty good(I think they are the same on all
distributions).  Also, the linux-howtos are a great help.  In slack,
they are automatically installed in /usr/doc/Linux-HOWTO (that may be
HOWTOs ; I always just type L*)  Some are are also in the
/usr/doc/Linux-mini-HOWTO  A quick grep will help you find what you
need in case you do not know what man page to look at.

I do not know enough about BSD to comment on it.  I've got FreeBSD
downloaded and burned but haven't installed it yet.  Sorry.

------------------------------

From: Alexis Bilodeau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: optra e+ printer
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:51:54 GMT

Hi,

I've bought an Optra E+ postscript laser printer recently.  I can't get it to
print properly under Mandrake 7.0.
It prints all right but the margins are wrong, the page is always cut on the
left and the bottom.
I'm using lpr with LaserJet4 - dithered filter.
Does someone know a solution to this?

Thanks a lot,

Alexis Bilodeau

From: "Anson Ng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3com Server NIC
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:49:04 -0400

Does Redhat 6.2 support the 3com server NIC's (3CR990SVR97) 3xp chip for
encryption and security??

--
Anson