From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: re: modem in RH6.2
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 18:53:47 GMT

Can anybody recommend me any modem which can be easily installed in
RH6.2?

Dale Khehra

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: new VIA AC'97 sound drivers?
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:01:19 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        John Scudder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> My Gigabyte motherboard came with RH 6.2 drivers for the built in sound
> card. They worked fine with SuSE 6.3.  Now I am running Mandrake 7.2 and
> they are a no go.  They complain about the kernel version.  Can I update
> the drivers to work with 2.2.17-21xxx ?

In my experience, the VIA 82c686a sound drivers that come with the
kernel are pretty weak. They support only 8-bit sound, for instance. The
ALSA project (http://www.alsa-project.org) has much better drivers.
They're a nuisance to install, but once installed, they work much more
reliably and produce better (16-bit) sound. A tip: Read the
instructions. Read them again. THEN compile and install while reading
the instructions the third time.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

Subject: SCSI Confusion:  Help!
From: Troy Telford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:33:22 -0700

I've been looking around at installing a SCSI Adapter for my desktop
computer.

  From what researched, a new SCSI hard drive should be
backwards-compatible (although perhaps requiring a 68->50 pin adapter)to
an older-standard.  (eg an Ultra-160 HD will work on a SCSI interface
that uses the older Fast SCSI standard).  This makes sense to me, but I
haven't used SCSI enough to learn more than how to add a device to a
computer; not actually know the standards.  If there are backwards
compatability issues, or there are any other caveats, please let me know.

All I am going to do is connect an external SCSI scanner, and eventually
a new HD or two.  I would add an IDE drive, but I have all my IDE slots
used, and as long as I have to use SCSI to connect my scanner, I might
as well use the SCSI for disks too.

 From the research I have done, Ultra-SCSI has a 'standard' transfer
rate of 20 MB/s, and the newest drives have a similar (though somewhat
faster) rate of data transfer.  Since it's a desktop machine, the
highest bandwidth usage I expect would be when scanning an image and
saving it to the disk, or perhaps in the future to copy from one SCSI
disk to another, I don't think this would be too much of a problem.
(Espescially since I'm aiming to get an inexpensive SCSI card for now,
and when I upgrade my system, worry about high-performance SCSI)

Any thoughts about this?  Are my impressions fairly correct?

And one last Q:  Are there any brands/models of SCSI cards that I should
generally avoid?  (Excluding the cards that don't play nice with Linux,
of course)

Thanks,

Troy

------------------------------

From: Paul Bristow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: L120
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:13:48 +0100

Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:

> How do I mount an L120 floppy drive, which is an IDE drive.  Do I treat
> it as a floppy or as a hard drive?  If as a hard drive, what number does
> it have?

You mount it as an ide device, /dev/hda, /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc, or /dev/hdd

Which one you mount it as depends on where the drive is connected.

Use the "dmesg" command to find out which one it is.

You will see something like:

hdd: LS-120 VER5 00 UHD FLOPPY

> Thanks
>
> dj tuchler

Paul Bristow
ide-floppy maintainer for linux kernel
http://paulbristow.net/linux/idefloppy.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: XFree86 crashing monitor and mouse on Gateway Performace w/ EV700?
Date: 16 Jan 2001 11:15:17 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Hello,
>
>       I am currently attempting to set up Linux on a Gateway
   ...<snip>...

>       Recently, I was running XFree86 while under a heavy CPU load
> and in the middle of a large download, and running irqtune so that
> the modem would get higher priority in the IRQ listing.  I attempted
> to switch virtual terminals from X to a text console, as I've done many
> times before without incident, when the monitor popped up a box
> like it's configuration screen - except this time, it was complaining
> that I had sent it a bad frequency (15 horizontal, approximately,
> if I recall correctly) and it gave 20 seconds until it suspended itself.
   ...<snip>...
>       It is now working correctly.  However, the pressing questions
    ...<snip>...

I had a problem with intermittent failures of X-Windows.  It turned out
the CPU fan was failing and it was a long time before I discovered that
that was the problem.  You might want to take the skin off and have
a look while the system is running.

   ---replace "ragwind.localdomain" with "rahul" to get my email address

------------------------------

From: Peter Christy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:16:41 +0000

John Scudder wrote:

> My Gigabyte motherboard came with RH 6.2 drivers for the built in sound
> card. They worked fine with SuSE 6.3.  Now I am running Mandrake 7.2 and
> they are a no go.  They complain about the kernel version.  Can I update
> the drivers to work with 2.2.17-21xxx ?

Hmmm! I too had a lot of problems trying to get the AC97 sound working on a
Gigabyte board. I cracked it in the end using the Alsa drivers. I've posted
a mini howto elsewhere in this NG. Do a search for via and you should find
it...

--
Pete

From: Peter Christy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Via686a onboard sound help
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:17:54 +0000

Marada C. Shradrakaii wrote:

> New mainboard (Amptron/PCChimps/70 other names M807) comes with onboard
> sound. All I can get out of the manual's discussion of the sound is a lot
> of blather about AC97, so I have to assume that I'm working with the sound
> faculties in
> the chipset (VIA KT133/686A).  While both the kernel and ALSA can detect
> the
> circuitry and load modules, sound itself is another thing.  With the
> (2.4.0 final) kernel driver, only a tiny peep is audible at the highest
> mixer
> settings, and the sound rate seems off.  With the ALSA driver, it seems to
> only support the MIDI end of things, and the same nil-volume issue.
>
> What am I missing, if all I want is to hear an occasional .wav and the
> piped-in
> output of a TV card connected to line-in?  Anyone gotten this beast going?
>  I'd prefer not to have to go back to the previous setup (YMF724F and
> ALSA)

See my post elsewhere in this NG on how to get the onboard sound working
(search for via.....)

--
Pete

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lexmark Z42 printer
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:30:10 -0000

Has anyone gotten the Lexmark Z42 printer to work in Linux?  Any help is
appreciated.  JH

From: Peter Christy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Via on-board sound success!
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:30:09 +0000

My problem was getting ANYTHING out of the on board sound system at all! If
you've got sound coming out of it, you are halfway there.

It sounds like you may have a conflict somewhere. This could either be an
irq or dma conflict. Its also possible that if you are using 7.2 "out of
the box" that there is another driver installed that is fighting with your
Aureal driver.

When I install a system, the first thing I do is recompile the kernel using
ONLY the drivers and resources I need - anything else gets binned. That
way, if I add new hardware I know that it is unlikely to conflict with
anything already on the system.

All distributions tend to come with everything, including the kitchen sink,
built in as default. The first thing to do is discard all the unnecessary
"baggage". You will have to go through your kernel configuration from top
to bottom to make sure it is "clean". You will also have to go through all
the stages that load modules (/etc/modules.conf  /etc/modules
/etc/rc.d/rc.local and so on) to check that nothing is being loaded that
conflicts with your aureal drivers.

Sorry to sound so vague, but this is a very big subject and without an
intimate knowledge of your system and its configuration (please, no! Life
is too short....! ;-) all I can do is offer general pointers.

--
Pete

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:17:32 -0500
From: Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dual xeon problems

Check the kernel mailing list archives.  There was a bug in some of the
test kernels that caused xeons to hang or run very slowly.  I can't
remember what it was, maybe something with mtrr...

Alex

------------------------------

From: "steven koolen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: infra red - making it my self
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:15:15 +0100

i want infra red on my computer, but its very exspencive, does anyone know
how to make a infrared port my self

thanx
steven koolen

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:37:29 -0500
From: Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: D-Link DU-C300 USB Webcam Problems

I think the c300 is based on the ov511.  make sure you are loading the
module before you try and use the camera.  As far as the usb errors go,
I'm not sure what to tell you.

Alex

------------------------------

From: "Jerry Shaw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: infra red - making it my self
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:34:54 GMT

look at http://www.tweakhardware.com/guide/remote/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:41:10 -0500
From: Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Matrox g400 tv

Checkout http://marvel.sourceforge.net

Alex

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:54:57 -0500
From: Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Dual Monitor setup problem.  Can't start X.

You need to edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config(-4) files depending on which X
server you are using (3.3.x or 4.0.x).  ATI's tend to not like to be the
secondary display.  You may have to go into your BIOS and set the BIOS
to initiallize the ATI first.  If the built in adapter is AGP and you
are adding in a AGP ATI card, then they both can't be used together.  In
this case the bios should disable the onboard one.

Alex

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:59:21 -0500
From: Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond Fire GL2

supposedly there are drivers for it, although I don't have the card, and
have never tried to download the drivers.

www.firegl.com

Alex

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:01:17 -0500
From: Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Radeon All in Wonder vs. Matrox G450 TV

I Haven't used either personally, but here are soem useful links:

linuxvideo.org  - for ATI video stuff (among other things)

marvel.sourceforge.net  - for matrox video stuff

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Lexmark Z42 printer
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:52:17 GMT

Not personally, but see if these links help any:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=317129
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=328553

> Has anyone gotten the Lexmark Z42 printer to work in Linux?  Any help
> is appreciated.  JH

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/