Subject: Re: RAM question
From: Dan Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 13 May 2001 22:19:26 -0400

Sorry.. I must've hit post instead of reply...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: 3com 3c574-TX drivers needed.
Date: 14 May 2001 02:42:34 GMT

On Sun, 13 May 2001 23:26:48 GMT, John Niedermeyer staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>Anyone have or know of where to get drivers for the 3com Fast Etherlink
>16-Bit PC Card?

/lib/modules/$KERNELVERSION/pcmcia/3c574_cs.o ?

The 3Com 574 has been supported for quite some time.  pcmcia-cs
3.1.24 certainly supports it, and the pcmcia-cs that was current over a
year ago supports it.  If pcmcia-cs is installed and the cardmgr daemon
is running, plugging the card into a PCMCIA socket should result in two
high beeps as the appropriate module is loaded and the actions specified
in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts are taken.

If these things don't happen, then a report on the error messages that
do get generated would be useful.  pcmcia-cs is actively developed on
http://sourceforge.net/ , search for "pcmcia-cs" and make use of the
forums and documentation there.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: newbie help: Backpack CD-RW support + other hardware problems
Date: 14 May 2001 02:42:37 GMT

On Mon, 14 May 2001 00:41:31 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
staggered into the Black Sun and said:
>I'm at the point now where I'm ready to switch to linux, but I have
>some concerns.
>
>Has anybody been able to get a MicroSolutions Backpack CD-RW to work on
>linux?  I don't see it on any compatiblity list.  I know you're not
>supposed to be able to get software driven hardware (which I think it
>may be) such as WinModems to work in Linux, but I know of people who
>have gotten WinModems to work so I'm hoping something similar can be
>done with my Backpack.

modprobe parport
modprobe parport_pc
modprobe lp
modprobe paride
modprobe bpck
modprobe pcd
modprobe pg

...at least, that's how it worked when I tried an HP parport CD-RW with
my laptop, though it used "epat" instead of "bpck".  The Backpack
protocol has been available under Linux for over 2 years, is well
understood, and works... though I would not recommend using a parport
CD-RW; you just can't push data over a parport fast enough to burn at a
reasonable speed.

>Also, I have no idea what some of my hardware is.  Some of it is pretty
>old.  Any tips in determining just what some of them are?

Look at the names and numbers on the parts.  "cat /proc/pci" works for
PCI hardware.  If you have unknown ISA stuff, isapnp may help, or it may
not.  If you have unknown MCA/VLB stuff, you may be up a creek.  If you
are truly concerned, post the names/numbers of the parts you're
suspicious of to this NG, and someone will probably get back to you.

From: "James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: video for linux
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 03:10:13 GMT

Whats good setup for video on linux. WinTV cards? Any good video on linux
sites out there?
james

------------------------------

From: "Jason Luther" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: ORiNOCO Wavelan Question
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 20:36:10 -0700

It's not possible with any of the Linux drivers that are available. You'd
need drivers (and probably firmware) from Orinoco.

The only access point software I'm aware of is available for some
Intersil-based cards at http://www.linux-wlan.org/.

Good luck,
Jason

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Subject: SiS video card 6236:  mouse cursor is white square in X
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 04:53:12 GMT

I have a SiS video card which I think[1] is an 8MB model 6236
with 3D Accelerator and 8MB SDRAM.  It plugs into the AGP slot.
(Motherboard is Via chipset, BioStar M7VKB 2.0.)  When I was
configuring X (while installing Mandrake 7.2) I selected SiS
6236 and selected my monitor (PGS EO70), and everything works
great *except* the mouse cursor, which is a white square (or
nearly square rectangle).  Positioning the white square over
a place where the mouse cursor would normally change (such as
over the edge of a window where a resize-double-arrow would
normally occur) causes the white square to shift position a
little, but it's still a white square.  It *functions* properly,
in that I can resize the window (or whatever), but it's rather
difficult to see what I'm doing (the white square is fairly
large as mouse cursors go), and I'd like to fix this if
possible.

I searched Google, but I only found one post from 1999 that
assumes files are where Debian puts them, which is probably
not right for this Mandrake system, and a few posts of bug
lists that have to do with BSD, which is even less likely to
be helpful.  Should I try to work my way through the
instructions given?  Here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&ic=1&th=7c32c1d5bf3ad0da,3&seekm=_mIod9B.A.oZG.EipC3_%40murphy#p
Should I try to work my way through that?  Does anyone
have any more recent information about this?

I also found something on the Linux Gazette that suggests
getting XFree86 4.x.  Will I be able to get the card to
work properly if I do that?

TIA for any help.  If upgrading to a newer XFree86
will solve the problem, I'll do that, but I'd like
to hear from someone who has it working...

I'm certain it's the video card, not the monitor, because
I've been using the monitor with X via a Matrox card for
years (but the monitor is getting passed down to the
family PC (with the SiS card) since I got a nicer monitor
for myself).

[1]  That's what TCWO said it was.  I could read the
     fine print on the card if there's any doubt, but
     I don't have any reason to believe it's a different
     model, since this model has been reported to be
     problematic with X.

- jonadab

------------------------------

Subject: Soltek M/B w/ integrated video
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (species)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 05:23:05 GMT

Does anyone know if this Mainboard with an Althlon Duron 900 will have any
problems running Linux (Mandrake 8):

Soltek 75MAV VIA KM133A + VT82C686B chipset FSB 266/200 MHz
Integrated S3 Savage4 AGP4X 3D and S3 Savage2000 2D graphics engine
Optional AGP4X interface
Ultra ATA 100
AC'97 Audio
Specifications: http://www.soltek.com.tw/English/product/75mav.htm

I read somewhere about Linux having trouble with S3 Savage chipsets or
drivers and I'm worried I might have problems.

species

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy)
Date: 14 May 2001 01:22:02 -0400

Dan Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Sorry.. I must've hit post instead of reply...

Like you did just now?

Please include attributions (the "Soandso writes:" type of line) as
well as context (i.e., the previous article, with irrelevant portions
removed, quoted using some character like '>').  I don't see articles
I've marked read; thus I don't see your article "near" the original in
any way that makes sense.  Moreover, due to the nature of USENET, some
articles may appear before others on different news servers, meaning
that your reply may actually arrive before the original article.  This
makes threading impossible even with a theoretical magic newsserver
(and newsreader) with an infinite expiration time.  Which, of course,
exists in a frictionless and perfectly spherical world.

Don't interpret this as a flame, it's not.  Lots of new posters make
the mistake you seem to be making.  (I say "seem to" because I have
absolutely no idea if you're the person I was writing to earlier,
because you haven't included any context and my crappy newsserver has
already expired that article.  A perfect argument for quoting if ever
I wrote one.)  I'm just trying to set you on the right path.

My God, I get wordy when I get net.coppish.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  "Knowing that a lot of people across the world with Geocities sites

------------------------------

From: Juergen Pfann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 07:42:36 +0200

Dan Smith wrote:

> The PC100 and PC133 Specification is just what the RAM is guaranteed
> to run at.  It has nothing to do with the RAM's abilitly to run at a
> different speed, just it's certification.  I use siemens ram in my
> server boxes and I can run PC100 chips at 133MHz easy.  Likewise,
> PC133 RAM is guaranteed at 133, but will work FINE at lower speeds.

I wouldn't say PC 133 is guaranteed to work "FINE" at _all_ lower
speeds, since I have a (no-name, I admit) PC133 module that gave
lots of probs in my Celeron system (not o/c, thus 66 MHz) -
that is, occasional total system freezes. Since I replaced that
by a PC-100 module, these problems were gone *immediately*...
Of course, this seems to be a problem with the SPD not defining
proper timings for 66 MHz, according to the output of the
"decode-dimms.pl" script from the lm_sensors package.
Unfortunately, I had waited too long to get that module refunded
or replaced - so now it's sitting in a socket 7 system, and
guess what - once this box was stable, but now there's
occasional GPFs and "block on free list clobbered" etc.
I don't dare to throw away this 256 MB module, which I bought
around Oct. for $350 (sigh...) - anyone wanna buy it ?
It will probably work OK in 133 or 100 MHz RAM bus speeds,
but apparently not at 66.

Juergen

------------------------------

From: "Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.scsi
Subject: boot problem with aic7xxx module
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 06:23:29 GMT

I running RH6.2 on a box with an Adaptec 2940 card that is connected only to
a DAT drive.

I have recently updated to kernel 2.2.19 via the Redhat RPMs, and am finding
that my PC is occasionally hanging when booting.  The message displayed when
it hangs is 'loading aic7xxx module'.  I would guess it is happenning
approximately 1 in every 3 boots.  I have tried using the 5.1.33 version of
the module from Doug's aic7xxx page, but I still have the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this and know the cause?  Alternatively, is
there a way for me to stop the module being loaded at boot?  I have tried
removing the aic7xxx line from /etc/modules.conf, but being a newbie, I
don't know what else I need to do to apply the change!

Any help greatly appreciated:)

Chris

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Strunk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Scanner: Umax Astra 2100U
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 04:05:28 -0500

Hi all,
Has anybody had any luck getting the Umax astra 2100U to work with the
USB scanner driver?

thanks,
Jeff

------------------------------

From: "Pierre-Yves Morgantini" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.devel,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Problem with ATA100 disk
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 11:40:02 +0200

Hi,

I have setup up a cluster of 16 PC for doing computational chemistry
calculations.
All PC are built around an ASUS A7V or A7V133 motherboard, 1 GHz AMD
Athlon Thunderbird CPU, 256 MB memory and an IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30 GB
UATA100 disk. I have RedHat 7.0 (kernel 2.4.0-0.26) on all the PC.

I have problems with the disks. Sometimes, the IDE light stay on and the
system
try to read on the disk during 10 to 20 seconds. The disk emits some strange
mechanical noise and the following error message is displayed on the console
:

wolf kernel: hde: dma_intr: bad DMA status
wolf kernel: hde: dma_intr: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }

Other messages (very similar) are also displayed. Some disks are O.K. but
about half of them have this problem. Sometimes, after a big number of
retries,
the system crash. All the disk are new or have 4 months. I have also try
with
RedHat 7.1 but I observe the same type of problem. I have also try e2fsck -c
on the file system without amelioration.

The disks are connected to the Promise ATA100 controler integrated on the
motherboard and use the following parameters for the disk :

hdparm -v /dev/hde

/dev/hde:
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 I/O support  =  3 (32-bit w/sync)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 nowerr       =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    =  8 (on)
 geometry     = 59560/16/63, sectors = 60036480, start = 0

hdparm -i /dev/hde

/dev/hde:

 Model=IBM-DTLA-307030, FwRev=TX4OA50C, SerialNo=YKDYKFY1591
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=40
 BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=1916kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=-66060037, LBA=yes, LBAsects=60036480
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
 PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5

Any idea or hints ? Is there some others (happy) guys who use the same
couple
motherboard/disk with succes ?

Thank you in advance for you help.

P.-Y. Morgantini

Pierre-Yves Morgantini / Assistant Professor
University of Geneva / Department of Physical Chemistry
30, quai Ernest Ansermet / 1211 GENEVA 4  (Switzerland)
Phone (41-22) 702 65 24 (direct) / (41-22) 702 61 11
Mobile (41-79) 449 10 51 / Fax (41-22) 702 65 18
E-Mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Tim Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.comm
Subject: Re: serial ports not working
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 20:42:15 +1000

Aaahhh yes thats probably it!!! Thankyou thankyou thankyou....I'll try some
different types of cable.  I didn't realise it wasn't standardised.

Tim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 10:47:18 GMT

>modprobe parport
>modprobe parport_pc
>modprobe lp
>modprobe paride
>modprobe bpck
>modprobe pcd
>modprobe pg

Ok, the above is Greek to me.  I have yet to install linux, I'm just
trying to make sure I can do it on my old machine.

>...at least, that's how it worked when I tried an HP parport CD-RW with
>my laptop, though it used "epat" instead of "bpck".  The Backpack
>protocol has been available under Linux for over 2 years, is well
>understood, and works...

Well alright.  I'm glad I can get it to work, for this is my only
CD-Rom since my internal died.

>though I would not recommend using a parport
>CD-RW; you just can't push data over a parport fast enough to burn at a
>reasonable speed.

I know, but it's what I got and I can afford anything else.  I do have
a USB adapter, but I could never get it to work.  Perhaps under linux
I could get it to work (hopefully).

>If you
>are truly concerned, post the names/numbers of the parts you're
>suspicious of to this NG, and someone will probably get back to you.

Thanks for the tip.

http://www.geocities.com/sugapablo
(To email me, remove "Sugapablo-" from my email address)

------------------------------

From: "The Snowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: File system problem, Fujitsu HD, BP6
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 12:20:39 GMT

I don't think this was something specific to fujitsu drives and this board,
as I'm running an almost identical system in that respect.  I have a fujitsu
10.2 and a fujitsu 13.6 running redhat 7.1 and win98se.  no problems.
Previously, the machine ran with just the 10.2 and redhat 6.2 for almost a
year with very little, if any, downtime and no filesystem problems when I
did reboot it.

Lately it's been rebooted on an almost daily basis (nothing kills server
uptime like dual booting) and I've not encountered what you've described.

If you do figure out what caused it, by all means, share it here, as that
would likely annoy the hell out of me (got stuff on both disks I'd rather
not lose, or be forced to restore from backup.)

Regards,
Snowman

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: AVA-1505AE not working under 2.4?
Date: 11 May 2001 03:22:51 GMT

Hi HW gurus, I am the (not proud) owner of an Adaptec AVA-1505AE ISA SCSI
controller which worked fine under Mandrake 7.2's 2.2.14 kernel. I just
upgraded to Mandrake 8.0 with the 2.4.3-20mdk kernel, and now I can't seem to
get the board configured right.

Previously, I had run pnpdump, then modified the /etc/isapnp.conf file to set
it for 0x140, IRQ 9. isapnp would then configure it fine, and I had no
problem
isapnp errors out with the following:

Board 1 has Identity 96 12 5c 43 68 05 15 90 04:  ADP1505 Serial No 308036456
[checksum 96]
/etc/isapnp.conf:48 -- Fatal - IO range check attempted while device
activated
/etc/isapnp.conf:48 -- Fatal - Error occurred executing request '<IORESCHECK>
'
--- further action aborted

I've searched and searched, and it's probably something that has been
rehashed
a billion times, but I can't figure out what I should be doing different with
the 2.4 kernel. I can see that things have changed. Perhaps I just need to be
pointed at the right doc.

Anyway, here's what /proc/isapnp says:Card 1 'ADP1505:Adaptec AVA-1505AE' PnP
version 1.0 Product version 1.1
  Logical device 0 'ADP1505:SCSI Controller'
    Supported registers 0x2
    Compatible device ADP1530
    Device is active
    Active port 0xffff,0xffff,0xffff,0xffff,0xffff,0xffff,0xffff,0xffff
    Active IRQ 255 [0xff],255 [0xff]
    Active DMA 255,255
    Active memory 0xffffffff,0xffffffff,0xffffffff,0xffffffff
    Resources 0
      Priority preferred
      Port 0x140-0x140, align 0x1f, size 0x20, 16-bit address decoding
      IRQ 2/9,10,11,12 High-Edge
      Alternate resources 0:1
        Priority acceptable
        Port 0x340-0x340, align 0x1f, size 0x20, 16-bit address decoding
        IRQ 2/9,10,11,12 High-Edge

As you can see, it agrees that the device is activated, but I'm sure those
0xffff values don't belong spread all about the active port/irq/dma/memory
values.

As you might imagine, the aha152x driver can't find the device at 0x140,IRQ 9
where I'd like it. Any suggestions on how to get it there?

Thanks....

Russ

   NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam.  If this or other posts
made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]