Linux-Hardware Digest #913, Volume #14           Sun, 17 Jun 01 17:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Question: Erase partition tables from hard drive ("Ron Reaugh")
  Re: US Robotics 56k Fax Win Int + RedHat 7.1 ... HELP !!! (Tim)
  USB Cable Modem ("Jason Purdy")
  Re: Question: Erase partition tables from hard drive ("Ed Light")
  Re: SBLive stopped working after crash! (Dmitry Fedotov)
  Cheap place to buy new/used SCSI disks? ("Ryn")
  VIA Lockups w/o IDE ("Gerard Daubar")
  Re: Cheap place to buy new/used SCSI disks? (Neil Koozer,,,)
  Re: How to install a UMAX SCSI clone onto the NCR5380 driver (Scott Hemphill)
  Re: Question: Erase partition tables from hard drive (Stephe)
  Re: VIA Lockups w/o IDE ("Gerard Daubar")
  Re: How to install a UMAX SCSI clone onto the NCR5380 driver (Phlip)
  Re: VIA Lockups w/o IDE (Ralf Beyer)
  Re: Best IDE Raid 5? ("Jean-Sebastien Morisset")
  Re: Linux, DAT and DOS Tapes (Jean-David Beyer)
  installation freeze... ("Kenneth Hansen")
  hardware compatibility xeon 1.4 GHz with VMWare and Redhat (Martin Moeck)
  Re: VIA Lockups w/o IDE ("Gerard Daubar")
  I'm developing Linux driver for modem ECI USB ("Sébastien Helleu")
  Re: any Iomega ZIP USB users? (Leonard Evens)

From: "Ron Reaugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: Question: Erase partition tables from hard drive
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 18:42:07 GMT

Fenster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
<9gia8s$99959$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Deleting partition tables and master boot record from hard drive.
>
>Maybe I am phrasing this incorrectly but I want to get rid of all partition
>tables and boot records on a 10 GIG Western Digital hard drive.  I created
>mess when I installed Linux and Windows98 on this drive and would like to
>get it back to the way it was when I first bought it......or close to it!

So ZAP it:
http://service.boulder.ibm.com/storage/hddtech/zap.exe

------------------------------

From: Tim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: US Robotics 56k Fax Win Int + RedHat 7.1 ... HELP !!!
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:44:53 -0400

Hi Rahul,

Here is a link that may help you out:

http://www.linmodems.org/

If you do decide to get another modem, most external modems will work
"out of the box". If you need an internal, just look on the box and make
sure it says something like "DOS compatible".

Good Luck!
Tim

--
Timothy J. Schutte
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Jason Purdy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB Cable Modem
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 18:28:40 GMT

I have RoadRunner high speed online access at home (U.S.) and the cable
modem (Motorola SURFboard 4100) is hooked up through my USB port (getting
out of having to get a 2nd NIC as the 1st is working for my home LAN).  Has
anyone seen any ideas on how to get Linux to interact with that port as it
would an ethernet connection? (am I asking that right?)

I found someone that has it working using Farallon & the pegasus driver, but
that doesn't seem to work for me.  Is pegasus just for Farallon & thus won't
work for the Motorola modem?

Cheers,

Jason

------------------------------

From: "Ed Light" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 11:46:59 -0700

Try on the BootIt NG newsgroup. Probably BootIt NG should be your boot and
partition manager - $30 after 30 day trial. I love it!

server  newdebian.homeip.net
newsgroup  partboot.bootitng

You can do anything with partitions, even boot from the slave with Win 98.
Click a button to put in a standard MBR.

It does take a little study and a few queries to master, but it's super.

--
Ed Light
Remove .nospam to reply

news:9gia8s$99959$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Dmitry Fedotov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SBLive stopped working after crash!
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 21:54:12 +0400

Lars Luthman wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have a problem.
> My computer crashed some time ago, and when I started it again the BIOS
> said "CMOS checksum error - changed to default". I suppose this means
> that it reset all BIOS options to the default values. I booted Linux,
> and I couldn't play any sound! I'm using Mandrake 8.0, so I opened
> DrakConf and looked at the hardware settings. I now had _two_ soundcards
> registered, my SBLive and another called VIA something.
>
> I assumed that the VIA soundcard was the built-in soundcard on my
> motherboard, which had been turned back on when the BIOS settings went
> back to default. So I rebooted and disabled the built-in soundcard in
> the BIOS. When I booted Linux again, it said that some hardware had been
> removed and asked if I wanted to remove the configurations for that
> hardware. I answered "Yes".
>
> When I open DrakConf or run 'detect' now, there is only one soundcard -
> the SBLive. But I still can't play sound. I am running Gnome and have a
> small sound configuration applet in the panel that is supposed to bring
> up the mixer for the soundcard, but when I try to use it it says
> "Couldn't open mixer, make sure that you have sound support compiled
> into the kernel" or something similar. I still have the devices "mixer",
> "audio", "sequencer" and "dsp" in my /dev directory.
>
> I thought that I could fix this problem simply by removing the
> configurations for SBLive and reboot Linux, to re-detect the soundcard
> and add new (working) settings, but I haven't found a way to remove
> hardware configurations. Does anyone know how to do that, or know any
> better way to solve this problem?
>

> --ll

I think you snould try to to reflash your bios. Download the proper flash
utility and the bios update itself and try it out. That's the only possible
way i think.... People are sometimes mistaken.

                                Dmitry Fedotov

------------------------------

From: "Ryn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cheap place to buy new/used SCSI disks?
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 15:18:04 -0400

I need to purchase 6 4/9/18 gb SCSI disks. Has anyone found any
cheap places on the web? I need the HH drives that would fit in
an Ultra 1.

Thanks for any info,

- Ryn

------------------------------

From: "Gerard Daubar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: VIA Lockups w/o IDE
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:44:55 GMT

I know there has been a lot of talk about VIA chipset problems with IDE
drives using UDMA and what not, but has anyone been having lockups w/o
using IDE?

I know the VIA bug is a PCI bus ownership thing and goes beyond IDE, but
I just haven't heard many people having problems that are non-IDE
related. (my hd's are SCSI).

I get reproducable lockups when using my cd writer - all I
have to do is begin to write to a CD (with cdrecord) and the machine
locks solid. Also, today doing something as simple as visiting my bank's
website in mozilla (has java) locks up the machine solid (tried twice).

I have the latest BIOS and am running 2.4.5-ac15 (the motherboard is an
Asus A7V133 w/ 1.2 ghz athlon). I've tried with several kernels going back to 2.4.1
with the same
results. I also tried playing with BIOS settings like going from
'optimal' performance to 'normal' but nothing seems to stop the lockups.
Anyone have advice?

Thanks,
Gerard

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133] (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133 AGP]
00:04.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super South] (rev 40)
00:04.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:04.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 16)
00:04.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 16)
00:04.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI] (rev 40)
00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10000 (rev 07)
00:09.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! (rev 07)
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 08)
00:0b.0 SCSI storage controller: Symbios Logic Inc. (formerly NCR) 53c895 (rev 02)
00:0c.0 SCSI storage controller: BusLogic BT-946C (BA80C30) [MultiMaster 10] (rev 08)
00:11.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20265 (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: 3Dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo 3 (rev 01)

------------------------------

From: Neil Koozer,,, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cheap place to buy new/used SCSI disks?
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 12:52:25 -0600

Ryn wrote:

> I need to purchase 6 4/9/18 gb SCSI disks. Has anyone found any
> cheap places on the web? I need the HH drives that would fit in
> an Ultra 1.
>
> Thanks for any info,
>
> - Ryn

I don't know what a Ultra 1 is, but you can get 9gb scsi drives for $9 +
$13 s&h at the auctions at www.onsale.com

These drives are full-height 5.25 inch drives.

Neil.

------------------------------

From: Scott Hemphill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to install a UMAX SCSI clone onto the NCR5380 driver
Date: 17 Jun 2001 15:50:50 -0400

Phlip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[snip]

> The context is...
>
>         UMAX Astra 600S ->
>           dtc3181e chip ->
>             UDS-IS11 970160-08 card ->
>               g_NCR5380 driver ->
>                 ??? ->
>                   ??? ->
>                     sane -> xsane

And what kernel version?

[snip]

> There are instructions for setting up SCSI?

There is SCSI-HOWTO which I think is at least five years old now.

[snip]

> If I did that (or if my tweak to modules.conf worked), how would I know?
> Would a new entry appear in /dev? Would an existing entry change its
> properties?

/proc/scsi/g_NCR5380/x  where x is the scsi card number as detected at
boot time.

Have you checked "/usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/README.g_NCR5380" ?

> And how on earth are civilians expected to configure this stuff?

They're not.  (You're going through boot camp.  :-)

Civilians just replace the SCSI card with one that is more mainstream.

Scott
--
Scott Hemphill  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"This isn't flying.  This is falling, with style."  -- Buzz Lightyear

------------------------------

From: Stephe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 16:20:15 -0400

Fenster wrote:

> Deleting partition tables and master boot record from hard drive.
>
> Maybe I am phrasing this incorrectly but I want to get rid of all
> partition tables and boot records on a 10 GIG Western Digital hard drive.
> I created a mess when I installed Linux and Windows98 on this drive and
> would like to get it back to the way it was when I first bought it......or
> close to it!

Use or get the western digital utility disk. It will make it just like it
was when you bought it.

--

Stephe

------------------------------

From: "Gerard Daubar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VIA Lockups w/o IDE
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:48:07 GMT

> I get reproducable lockups when using my cd writer - all I have to do is
> begin to write to a CD (with cdrecord) and the machine locks solid.

The cdwriter is SCSI as well by the way. It is the only thing connected
to the this particular SCSI card. The 2 harddrives are connected to a
seperate SCSI card.

------------------------------

From: Phlip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 17 Jun 2001 20:10:19 GMT

Proclaimed Scott Hemphill from the mountaintops:

> Phlip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
>> The context is...
>>
>>         UMAX Astra 600S ->
>>           dtc3181e chip ->
>>             UDS-IS11 970160-08 card ->
>>               g_NCR5380 driver ->
>>                 ??? ->
>>                   ??? ->
>>                     sane -> xsane
>
> And what kernel version?

Linux 2.2.17 under Mandrake 7.2

>> There are instructions for setting up SCSI?
>
> There is SCSI-HOWTO which I think is at least five years old now.

I'l search again. All I found so far was "the Linux SCSI Programming
HOWTO". It contains passages like:

        to add a SCSI device, do...

                echo "scsi add-single-device a b c d" > /proc/scsi/scsi

I was holding out for one written less than 5 years ago...

> [snip]
>
>> If I did that (or if my tweak to modules.conf worked), how would I know?
>> Would a new entry appear in /dev? Would an existing entry change its
>> properties?
>
> /proc/scsi/g_NCR5380/x  where x is the scsi card number as detected at
> boot time.

$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices: none

> Have you checked "/usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/README.g_NCR5380" ?

It says stuff that assumes I already know how to screw with either LILO or
modules.conf.

I already know how to screw with them. I already added the lines which that
readme file implied I should add to modules.conf.

> Civilians just replace the SCSI card with one that is more mainstream.

Would the system just plug and play it?

--
  Phlip                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
============== http://phlip.webjump.com ==============

------------------------------

From: Ralf Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 22:16:09 +0200

Gerard Daubar wrote:

> I know there has been a lot of talk about VIA chipset problems with IDE
> drives using UDMA and what not, but has anyone been having lockups w/o
> using IDE?
>
> I know the VIA bug is a PCI bus ownership thing and goes beyond IDE, but
> I just haven't heard many people having problems that are non-IDE
> related. (my hd's are SCSI).
>
> I get reproducable lockups when using my cd writer - all I
> have to do is begin to write to a CD (with cdrecord) and the machine
> locks solid.
>
> I have the latest BIOS and am running 2.4.5-ac15 (the motherboard is an
> Asus A7V133 w/ 1.2 ghz athlon). I've tried with several kernels going back to 2.4.1
>with the same
> results. I also tried playing with BIOS settings like going from
> 'optimal' performance to 'normal' but nothing seems to stop the lockups.
> Anyone have advice?
>
> 00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10000 (rev 07)
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Remove it (disable ist not enough)! Seems that the latest BIOS (1005A) still
doesn't fix all the Via Bugs. I ran into similar lock-ups during cd-burning
and dvd-access (both on Via controller) with kernels 2.4.4 and later
(although
I have a SB128), but 2.4.3 worked for me (depart from occasional superblock
corruption on RAID1 with the Promise controller).

Cheers Ralf

------------------------------

From: "Jean-Sebastien Morisset" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best IDE Raid 5?
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 16:17:55 -0400

Thanks!

js.

"Joshua Baker-LePain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9giovl$ik7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Jean-Sebastien Morisset <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend the best (caching, bandwidth, ease of config, etc.)
IDE

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux, DAT and DOS Tapes
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 16:36:50 -0400

Peter Kohut wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've got a problem at hand for which I don't seem to find an easy solution:
>
> I have a machine running Redhat Linux with a SCSI interface and a SONY 4mm
> DAT hanging of it. I also have a bunch of tapes which were originally
> written using NT Backup and Restore. My question is
>
> a) is there any way that I can restore the content of the tapes using Linux?
> b) I also have a second machine running Win 2000, but unfortunately without
> SCSI. The Win 2000 machine is connected to the Linux machine using simple
> TCP/IP and SAMBA shares. Is it possible to configure the systems such that I
> can use the Windows 2000 Backup/Restore application with the DAT drive
> hanging of the Linux machine?

I have two machines linked together with 100MHz NIC cards. This one,
that runs Linux-0nly, has a tape drive on an Ultra-2 SCSI controller.
The other machine is a dual-boot machine with Windows 95 and Red Hat
Linux 6.0, and it runs as Linux most of the time, grinding out
SETI@home stuff. When I need Windows, I boot it up that way.

The way I back up the other machine is that I mount the two partitions
over there that I wish to back up on this machine with nfs. The other
machine exports that stuff read-only. One of those partitions is the
Window partition that Linux can read (and write) perfectly well.

On this machine I run BRU to do my backups, but a combination of find
and cpio would do just as well.

I imagine you could do the same thing with your machine, provided you
can run Linux on it enough to do the backups.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: "Kenneth Hansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: installation freeze...
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 22:41:12 +0200

Hi there, I have the following problem:

When trying to install linux with bootdisk it freeze at: "Calibrating delay
loop"

I tried with SuSE 5.3, 6.1 og 6.4 and Slackware 4.0 all the same prob
Its an old (Pentium 166 MzH 32 mb SDRAM Graphic adapter: S3 Trio 64bit Net
adapter: D-link 32 bit ISA)

I've also tried to install linux on the same harddrive from another
computer, which worked fine, but putting the harddrive back in the pentium
wasen't a succes: As I boot up the computer, the boot sequence stops, and
the computer reboots itself!!

I think it might has something to do with the hardware, could someone out
there please help me??

thanks i advance

/kenneth

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Moeck)
Subject: hardware compatibility xeon 1.4 GHz with VMWare and Redhat
Date: 17 Jun 2001 20:44:41 GMT

Hi,

what is your experience with the Intel Xeon 1.4 GHz processor and its compatibility
with VMWare and Redhat 6.2 or 7 as the host?

I am interested in the Dell Precision Workstation 530 and dual xeon 1.4 GHz
processors.Is VMware only compatible up to Pentium III and 933 MHz?

Thanks,

Martin

From: "Gerard Daubar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:48:48 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ralf Beyer"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> 00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10000
>> (rev 07)
>                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Remove it (disable ist not enough)! Seems that the latest BIOS (1005A)

Cool, that fixed it. Cd writing works now and the mozilla lockup doesn't
happen anymore - mozilla dies only, not the whole machine. Now the only
downside is no audio.

I hope this gets fixed soon.

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

Gerard

------------------------------

From: "Sébastien Helleu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I'm developing Linux driver for modem ECI USB
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 22:53:09 +0200

I'm developing Linux driver for modem ECI USB.
All helps are welcome.

More infos:  http://flashcode.free.fr/linux

----
Sebastien.

  e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     web: http://flashcode.free.fr

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: any Iomega ZIP USB users?
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 15:44:07 -0500

Ray wrote:

> hi
>
> i'm considering buying an external Iomega Zip 100 USB drive to use with
> my laptop (toshiba sat pro 4340) which has an Intel 82371AB PIIX4 USB
> controller and running linux 2.4.3.
>
> i've looked at
>     http://www.linux-usb.org  (this list the mass storage drv in the
> kernel as experimental?)
>     http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices
>     http://www.iomega.com/software/linuxtools.html
>
> and they seem to indicate that the Iomega zip 100 USB does work,
> although there is mixed reports about the drivers that are availbel for
> this device - the kernel ubs_storage.o and the iomega provided utils
> (for 2.4.0pre).
>
> also, i have heard/read somewhere that different versions of the zip100
> use different protocols, and wondered if this would be a problem when
> using the kernel driver (which i would prefer to use)
>
> if anyone could give me any hints on their current working
> configurations; part numbers from the devices/kernel output would also
> be useful.
>
> thanks for any info
> ray
>
> ps - could ppl CC me on replies - thanks again...

I have a USB Iomega 100 MB zip drive which I use with my laptop
which is running RedHat 7.1 with the 2.4.2 kernel.  It just works
with no special effort on my part.  If it is plugged in, it
appears by magic in /etc/fstab and is mounted on /mnt/zip100.0
or something similar.   The appropriate modules are loaded without
my doing anything.   The mass storage drivers work fine not only
for the zip drive but also for smartmedia card readers.

I haven't checked speed or really pushed the drive, but for the
normal sorts of things I use it for, it works fine.  For example,
I tarred my home directory to a file on it at one point, I think.

I am sending you a copy to you as well as posting it to the
newsgroup, but I'm afraid I don't believe your respond e-mail
address "whatdoineed2do" is real.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537