On 10/31/2014 02:45 PM, Martin Belanger wrote:
Hi all, and thanks for your response.

You are correct Guenter.  We need to address both i2c- and gpio-based
multiplexers.  You and Jean suggested the following solution:

I2C Mux:  i2c-N-mux-i2c-XX (chan_id M)
GPIO Mux: i2c-N-mux-gpio-XX (chan_id M)

Too long ago to remember.

Where XX is the i2c address or the first GPIO pin number.  This
ensures unique IDs for both technologies.

Adding a parameter to i2c_add_mux_adapter() (as you and Jean
suggested) would solve the problem.  Basically, we pass a unique id
string (e.g. "-i2c-XX" or "-gpio-XX") to the API, which then adds to
the "name" as described above. In cases where a unique id is not
required, we can simply pass NULL to i2c_add_mux_adapter().  Here's an
example of what the new API would look like:

struct i2c_adapter *i2c_add_mux_adapter(struct i2c_adapter *parent,
     struct device *mux_dev,
     void *mux_priv, u32 force_nr, u32 chan_id,
     unsigned int class,
     int (*select) (struct i2c_adapter *,
           void *mux_dev, u32 chan_id),
     int (*deselect) (struct i2c_adapter *,
     void *mux_dev, u32 chan_id),
     const char *explicit_id);

The parameter explicit_id gets used as follows:

if (NULL == explicit_id)

Personally, I would never accept code like that; it just confuses me
to see the constant first in an expression.

API-wise I am fine with the proposed change, except I would probably
move the new argument ahead of chan_id and name it mux_id.

Guenter

     explicit_id = "";
snprintf(priv->adap.name, sizeof(priv->adap.name),
     "i2c-%d-mux%s (chan_id %d)", i2c_adapter_id(parent), explicit_id, chan_id);

If it's OK will all parties, I can submit a patch for it (and I'll
make sure to reference Guenter and Jean as the designers).  This,
however, is a first for me.  I read all the documents about submitting
patches.  I was just wondering if I should submit against the current
3.18 development or some other "stable" releases.

Regards,
Martin
Martin Belanger
Sr. Software Engineer