Mark Lord wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:

currently no one should be using libata for PATA support.

We emailed back and forth extensively about how this has
not been true since early this year.  Modern laptops are
using libata for the ICH6M support, simply because libata
claims that chipset, and the IDE driver does not.
These laptops are using PATA drives (eg. "FUJITSU MHV2100AH").

This sounds like a misconfigured kernel. The IDE driver should pick up the PATA port, and libata should pick up the SATA port. Anything else is a bug, and should be addressed by me or Bart.

Exaggeration. We're talking about a single #define here, to enable ATAPI.

Fine for ATAPI, though it's two defines -- need to also enable DMA.

What define enables/disables DMA, in your opinion?

And Passthru is much bigger than a pair of #defines.

That is a separate $thread.

Push some of this stuff out to the -mm tree, and maybe we'll get
more people exercising the code, and it'll progress more quickly.

Both passthru and ATAPI code are already available in the -mm tree, unless Andrew made a mistake and accidentally dropped passthru.

        Jeff