Another data point on the current libata EH:

I have now been running 2.6.13 for a week now
with no crashes attributable to libata.

This is stock 2.6.13, plus:

  -- libata passthru patch (needed for laptop-mode, etc..)
  -- libata atapi DMA patch (needed for modern laptop)
  -- libata suspend patch (needed for swsusp)
  -- Jeff's libata 2.6.13+ updates from LKML (just on principles)

So the system is no longer crashing due to libata EH.

Now to await the day when I no longer have to patch libata
at all just to have my laptop work properly.

Cheers