Mark Lord wrote:
Linus Torvalds wrote:
[ You may or may not have gotten my previous email. The kernel stayed working, but due to the IO errors the filesystem got re-mounted read-only, and I'm not sure that the email I sent out in that state actually ever made it out. I suspect it didn't. ]

Jeff,
I just had a scary thing on my nice new Intel i965 box (all Intel chipsets apart from some strange Marvell IDE interface that I'm not using and that no driver even detected, and a TI firewire thing that I'm similarly not using).

The machine basically froze for about a minute or so (well, things worked surprisingly well, considering that apparently no disk IO happened - I initially thought it was just firefox that had frozen up, since my mail session seemed to be fine), and after it came back the filesystem was mounted read-only and nothing really worked any more..

I have no idea what status 0xD0 means: it looks like ATA_BUSY + ATA_DRDY + "bit#4", but what is bit#4?

Bit #4, when actually implemented, is a rotational seek indicator,
which can be used for timing purposes.

But when BUSY (bit #7) is set, the rest are generally nonsense.

And clearly, the soft-reset isn't doing squat.

I dunno. My first suspect is transient transmission error and yeah they do occur from time to time even on otherwise stable setup. For example, my machine is nvidia ck804 which has pretty weak error handling (at least used to) and stays up 24/7 and I've seen such unrecovered transmission error just once during last 6+ months.

My experience is that if something is weird (say, power fluctuation or electro-magnetic interference), SATA is the first thing to give out and that's why we need good EH w/ SATA much more than we do with PATA.

Drives (controllers too) sometimes fall into weird state after such errors and softreset is often not enough, so we need hardreset. ICH8 can do hardreset even in ata_piix mode. I'll work on it.

Linus, I'll follow up with Jonas as his problem seems reproducible but I'm a bit skeptical about it being a driver issue. Even w/ all its kinks, ata_piix is just a sff IDE controller and libata has been doing it for a long time. I would be really surprised if the driver or controller has any such issue in the usual r/w path. AHCI should be able to recover from most error conditions unless drive firmware is completely stuck requiring physical power off.

--
tejun