On Friday 16 February 2007 16:00, Sergei Shtylyov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

> >>    That was expected behavior.

> >>    The driver never supported UltraDMA on this revision, as indicated by
> >> that
> >>message.

> >>    The intent of the patch was exactly to *remove* broken DMA support
> >> until
> >>it's fixed (which requires more work).  It only worked by chance -- because
> >>MWDMA2 timings are the same as of PIO4.  Have patience please.
>
> > It only worked by chance but it _worked_, especially for the usual case,
> > MWDMA2/PIO4 == all newer drives (despite writing 0x10 reserved bit of
> > BMIDESR0/1 for the master devices).  I think I'll remove the patch for now.
>
>     Then I will protest. :-) This was *not* fixable all at once. And removing
> it just because some users happen to have the *known buggy* (and so reduced
> MWDMA only) chips is a wrong thing to do.

OK, I'm not removing it but it needs (rather urgent) fixing.

> > To fix SWDMA/MWDMA properly isn't it enough to just call cmd64x_tune_pio()
> > from cmd64x_tune_chipset() to tune the corresponding PIO mode?
>
>     No, that wouldn't be a clean fix, just a kind of workaround -- it will
> also change the address setup times (which is not quite desirable).  I can

I see, how about:

* splitting off setup timing programming from program_drive_counts()
  into separate function (setup timing is programmed into separate register)

* pushing ide_get_best_pio_mode() call to higher layers
  [ cmd64x_tune_driver() only, it is not needed in cmd64x_tune_chipset() ]

* calling new function setting setup timing from cmd64x_tune_drive()
  and cmd64x_tune_chipset() (here for PIO modes only)

* calling cmd64x_tune_pio() fro SWDMA/MWDMA

Would the above assembly into the proper SWDMA/MWDMA fix?

> compose such quickie in five minutes though.

I can wait some time for the proper fix but if you see that
it won't happen soon (week?) please send me this workaround.

Thanks,
Bart