On Sunday 09 December 2007, Alan Cox wrote:
> > drive->io_32bit is used per PIO transfer so there is no reason to
> > require it to be identical for master/slave.
>
> Sure about that ?
>
> The driver has always gone to great pains to ensure that occurs and that
> suggests the author had a good reason for doing it. Have you tested this
> with an actual DTC2278 card ?
>
> If not - NAK. You risk corruptors for no material benefit.

There is absolutely no hardware setup done by IDE subsystem or dtc2278
host driver when ->io_32bit setting is changed and since ->io_32bit setting
is only ever checked per drive / PIO transfer so this is currently purely
a software limitation (moreover HDIO_DRIVE_CMD and HDIO_DRIVE_TASKFILE
ioctls force 16-bit I/O anyway).

[ I also haven't noticed anything related to this requirement in Winbond
  W83759A datasheet (though I have only quickly skimmed through it)... ]

Bart